Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:49 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

I don't generally friend a lot people from my "work world" on facebook (unless they are well-acquainted with just how foul-mouthed and liberal I can be and are considered friends), but I have a lot of contacts with whom I would like to maintain ties.

LinkedIn is WEIRD. There are people "endorsing" me all over the place, some of whom I don't even know, and I have no idea how to get the most out of this site. I'd really like to use it for networking and whatnot, as I have also gotten calls from recruiters based on my LinkedIn profile.

How do you use it and what do you see as the pitfalls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,002 times
My only connections are recruiters who did not hire me and quite a few deleted their pic and identifying info. A few high school classmates found me a we friended on FB. IMHO LinkedIn benefits the professional to find contacts.

I've been endorsed for skills I do and do not have. No recruiters have called me but why would that be expected for an office worker?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
LinkedIn is linked out.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 PM

yet every job seminar/job counselor acts like it's a great tool!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
LinkedIn is linked out.
I agree that the site is a joke which is why I deleted my page 2 years ago. Just a bunch of people requesting to connect with you who never met you but only doing it to reach a number of contacts.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I like to use it for job searches. It has a great way of showing you jobs similar to your search or companies. When it first came out it was much more professional. Now it is crossing to far into Facebook mode with ridiculous status updates that do not belong on a business page.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I like to use it for job searches. It has a great way of showing you jobs similar to your search or companies. When it first came out it was much more professional. Now it is crossing to far into Facebook mode with ridiculous status updates that do not belong on a business page.
That's exactly what it turned into over the years which played a key role in the deletion of my page.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
LinkedIn is awesome!

When I am applying for jobs, I check my contacts at the the company. I will ask my contacts about the work environment, before I apply. If it's a cool environment, they will pass my resume to the their boss. I apply online and use them as a referral. Meanwhile, other people are sending tons of resumes with no responses.

At my last job interview, the hiring manager and his boss knew 4 of my LinkedIn co-workers. They all worked together, about 2 years ago at another company. They offered a job the same day.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM

move, I think that was the original goal of LinkedIn but you're the happy exception rather than the rule. Mine is all recruiters who don't contact me and I doubt I will be working with school friends in other states.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for you.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM

607 posts, read 978,210 times
I agree with others that Linkedin has become too Facebookish. It is annoying. I don't care if one of my contacts liked a post of someone else. I don't care to read comments on articles that random people spend time writing that are just a bunch of bable.

I have been thinking of deleting my Linkedin account and just making a new one with zero connections so I can just use that to find what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment