Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 AM

615 posts, read 726,043 times

Advertisements

I know I've posted on here many depressing and pessimistic posts about how my lack of satisfaction with my career prospects, but I have to say that things have really changed over the past month. I have to credit my work ethic. My previous and current jobs, and the one I will accept (still undecided), were ones that I would not have got if I didn't put in a lot of additional learning and practice. For example, at one of my job interviews they had a Javascript coding question that was a trick question that most people wouldn't get, but I had read enough blogs and StackOverflow to know the intended solution.

The fact I've learned is that in this modern economy you will not get anywhere unless you put in extra work outside of work and job hop. The vast majority of positions are not constructed to allow any type of significant advancement. I would love to start at an entry-level job at a company and grow into a higher position over the course of a couple decades and ride the company to retirement into a pension, but jobs like that simply don't exist today. If I stayed at my first job, I would be doing the exact same, or a trivially more sophisticated role at a trivially higher wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM

92 posts, read 116,215 times
Congratulations on all of your job offers! You will have a big decision to make in the next few weeks, I would guess. I also agree, you do have to do some "outside work" in order to sometimes land a job at all. I don't mind putting in the work, because of the potential payoff.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Continuing education is a big part of success in all fields in this day and age. It will only become even more important as globalization spreads into more and more white collar roles.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 AM

33 posts, read 47,235 times
You'll be outsourced if Zuckerberg and Co. get their ways. Don't get too comfortable. I'm not in that business but I can tell in you the legal business, the BIGGEST area of hiring right now is "business immigration." Good luck. Save your money.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
You should be looking for your next job as soon as you sign on the dotted line.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I know I've posted on here many depressing and pessimistic posts about how my lack of satisfaction with my career prospects, but I have to say that things have really changed over the past month. I have to credit my work ethic. My previous and current jobs, and the one I will accept (still undecided), were ones that I would not have got if I didn't put in a lot of additional learning and practice. For example, at one of my job interviews they had a Javascript coding question that was a trick question that most people wouldn't get, but I had read enough blogs and StackOverflow to know the intended solution.

The fact I've learned is that in this modern economy you will not get anywhere unless you put in extra work outside of work and job hop. The vast majority of positions are not constructed to allow any type of significant advancement. I would love to start at an entry-level job at a company and grow into a higher position over the course of a couple decades and ride the company to retirement into a pension, but jobs like that simply don't exist today. If I stayed at my first job, I would be doing the exact same, or a trivially more sophisticated role at a trivially higher wage.
I totally concur with this post.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
I would love to start at an entry-level job at a company and grow into a higher position over the course of a couple decades and ride the company to retirement into a pension,
eh, I think I'll stick with the government and ride it into a pension as you said...

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Good for you! Good luck.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Programmer/Developer/Software Engineer positions have to be some of the most intense and difficult interviews out there.

I spent hours prepping for interviews and ended up getting a few offers just like the OP.

My university professors never mentioned any of this when I was in school.

I am currently in the training phase of my first software developer gig and have learned more in three months than I did in the majority of my classes in college.

Preparation is the key. Timing and networking also play a huge role.

Always be ready.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Preparation is the key. Timing and networking also play a huge role.
Do this in college as well. College isn't a "high school" for adults, it's where people go to learn more for their careers and network with people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment