Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thank you notes
Over 30: Always 12 17.39%
Over 30: Never 12 17.39%
Over 30: Sometimes 11 15.94%
Under 30: Always 13 18.84%
Under 30: Never 12 17.39%
Under 30: Sometimes 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

I always send a nice, short thank you email within several hours if I am interested, but I am over 40.

Of course if HR/HM was inconsiderate/rude during interview not anymore, why bother they already wrote me off. Why be a doormat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 03:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
I sent a fruit basket before, and I'm under 30... but I did it after accepting the job offer

why not send one? It's about 50 cents for paper/ink/stamps. It does no harm so there is no negative to it, only positive results or indifferent results. Is 50 cents worth missing out on a job or at least being remembered positively for future openings? About the post above on manners, I could care less about manners in a thank you note, I'm not sending a wedding invitation, I'm sending a "networking" invitation. I see it as "buying" goodwill with HR/people that interviewed me, all for under $1. Being polite is nice too, send a note to help you get remembered as the polite person.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My company is hiring, and over the past few weeks I have been pulled into interviews. One thing has me really bothered: none of the candidates send thank you notes. Email or otherwise.

Do people not do this anymore? I always send a note after an in person interview. Typically on the same day, if not on the way home. Even if I didn't like tge job. It is just good courtesey in my book. One candidate didn't follow up with anyone even thogh she was interested.

Maybe I'm just "old."

So do you send thank you notes? Why or why not?
I'm 21 and my mom pushes me to send thank you notes, but I don't think I should have to because I don't understand it. Most employers don't even have the curtsey of letting the applicants know that the job position has been filled, so why should I go out of my way in thanking you?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:01 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I do not send thank you notes. There are often too many applicants that this would be a burden, and it's unlikely the note would differentiate two candidates.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 PM

387 posts, read 588,872 times
i'm way past 30 and never ever wrote a thank you note. its awkward and tacky to be honest

Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yes.
But more the girls.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm 21 and my mom pushes me to send thank you notes, but I don't think I should have to because I don't understand it. Most employers don't even have the curtsey of letting the applicants know that the job position has been filled, so why should I go out of my way in thanking you?
I know this is going to go away over the heads of a lot of people here, but sometimes you do things bc ofhow you are or what you want to be or how you want to think of yourself. Not because of what you get out of it from other people. Or not because other people do it in kind.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
This is way off.

I'm a millennial with good manners (always tips well, hold doors, say please and thank you, say sir and ma'am, etc).

But employers, in general, treat employees as disposable commodities. There is very little to no loyalty. Also, like many have said, if you don't get the job, they simply don't call you (but then they will call you months later out of the blue when it's convenient for them). Where's the etiquette there?

The fact is that Baby Boomers don't understand that you grew up in a privileged society that no longer exists (partially because you, as a group, destroyed it).

Many of us younger people have manners. We just choose not to use them because it will not get us anywhere.
Agree!

I also find it hilarious that baby boomers - those whom raised the millennials - are the first to get mad about how they are as adults. Um.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:14 PM

manners were never intended to get you anywhere. You really don't get it.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
This is way off.

I'm a millennial with good manners (always tips well, hold doors, say please and thank you, say sir and ma'am, etc).

But employers, in general, treat employees as disposable commodities. There is very little to no loyalty. Also, like many have said, if you don't get the job, they simply don't call you (but then they will call you months later out of the blue when it's convenient for them). Where's the etiquette there?

The fact is that Baby Boomers don't understand that you grew up in a privileged society that no longer exists (partially because you, as a group, destroyed it).

Many of us younger people have manners. We just choose not to use them because it will not get us anywhere.

LOL....you just contradicted yourself BIG TIME. Either you have manners or you don't, and if you have them you use them.

How are you holding doors for people, and at the same time say "we just choose not to use them because it will not get us anywhere". So you should only show manners if it can get you somewhere?

Newsflash, Baby Boomers saw a bad recession in the early 80s when many were getting out of college and couldn't get jobs, you're not the first generation to go through tough times.

None of us, and I include myself have a clue as to how tough many in this country had during the Great Depression. Not a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
For starters,take some economic classes to learn about the economy and how it works so you wouldn't look silly making statements such as :

"The fact is that Baby Boomers don't understand that you grew up in a privileged society that no longer exists (partially because you, as a group, destroyed it)."

Additionally, when you have class and manners it is just a part of you and a natural way of behaving for you, so you don't choose not to have class or manners because there is nothing in for you. Either you are that person or you are not.
Thank you, either you have manners or you don't. You don't turn it on and off like a light switch. Or only use them when you can get something out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment