Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thank you notes
Over 30: Always 12 17.39%
Over 30: Never 12 17.39%
Over 30: Sometimes 11 15.94%
Under 30: Always 13 18.84%
Under 30: Never 12 17.39%
Under 30: Sometimes 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I did a lot of hiring for Fortune 500 and a Big 4 accounting firm. For me, I never bother with thank you letters. The reason is that interviewers' impression of you is made within 5 minutes after you leave the interview. They have to document it right away, otherwise they forget who is who, as people bleed into one another. So a thank you letter will not help getting you an offer, as your evaluation has already been made. I have never seen a thank you letter as a reason why someone should be hired or the lack of a thank you letter as a reason to exclude someone. Honestly, we hate getting these things because we already have accepted you or rejected you, so it is just like another piece of spam.
99% of the time this is probably true. However, there are hiring managers I know that are influenced by a thank you letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:41 AM

293 posts, read 317,004 times
I have previously tried to send thank you emails to past interviewers but sometimes they keep their emails private. Sending a card or letter seems very tacky and weird. Most employers do not even bother to make contact with me afterwards unless I am further considered.

Trying to come off as too appreciative kind of sends the message to some employers that you are rather provincial.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Job applicants still send out thank you notes after a job interview. I do not know if they will get hired, but hopefully they leave a positive impression behind.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Often times the companies do not disclose the interviewers' email address at all. Yes often times you can still find the address from google search, but I suppose they cover the contact info for a reason.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My company is hiring, and over the past few weeks I have been pulled into interviews. One thing has me really bothered: none of the candidates send thank you notes. Email or otherwise.

Do people not do this anymore? I always send a note after an in person interview. Typically on the same day, if not on the way home. Even if I didn't like tge job. It is just good courtesey in my book. One candidate didn't follow up with anyone even thogh she was interested.

Maybe I'm just "old."

So do you send thank you notes? Why or why not?

I don't understand why anyone would. When I used to get thank you notes I wouldn't read them. Waste of time. Plus in virtually every case we'd already decided who we were hiring straight after the interviews.

Does your company send out thank you notes thanking the applicant for coming to the interview?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
I might send an E-mail but have not written a letter since about 1990.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
99% of the time this is probably true. However, there are hiring managers I know that are influenced by a thank you letter.
Huh? Are you saying you should send a thank you letter because of the 1% of the time it could help, versus the fact half the thank you letters I receive have a typo or grammatical error (maybe 10% that are really embarrassing ones or have other red flags)?

Thank you letters are a double edge sword with one side is much sharper than the other one.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:07 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've been pulled into interviews plenty of times over the last 5 years or so. I don't think I ever got a thank you note from anyone no matter what age.

Speaking of which...I have two interviews to conduct this week. Honestly, getting a thank you note is not going to sway my decision one bit for a technical role. I want to know how well you know the job...not how well you can kiss my butt.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Two of my sons recently entered the job market. They both had lots of interviews all over the country. Both always sent hand written thank you notes to the interviewers. These companies spent a lot of money on my sons for flights, meal vouchers, and hotels, so why wouldn't they at least say thanks?
Both were also given multiple offers within their respective industries. Coincidence?

Saying thank you (and being polite in general) never hurts.

That isn't the norm of the majority of hiring. What type of jobs were they interviewing for?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Although your question pivots around perspective new hires, here's my views on those that don't send thank you notes.

When I send someone a gift - if for Christmas, a wedding, a birthday, new house - whatever the occasion, if I don't get a thank you note, that's the last gift they'll receive.

If I took the time out to send you something to commemorate your event, the LEAST you can do is affix a stamp on a card thanking me for the gift... no thank you card? No 'next time'... period.

As for sending one to a hiring manager? When I was in search for a new job, I'd ALWAYS send a thank you note. They took the time to question me, and although not always selected, I felt it a professional courtesy to send a thank you. I actually had someone send me a thank you for the thank you (and it stopped there) - and they stated that my note was very much appreciated. The next job opening they had, they called me before they posted the job ad... so, it apparently made a difference. I had already accepted a position that I was - and am still - happy in, but it goes to show that some do appreciate to great measures, when someone sends them a 'thank you'..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment