Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM

25 posts, read 33,296 times

Advertisements

I do not know anybody that doesn't say their 20s were the best time of their lives. If you are that down in your 20s it does sound like anti depressant time. I only hope he can open up to someone that can come over and pick him up and drive to dr with him.
op: Please open up to everyone you know and see if somebody will take you to Dr.

Let us know what happens if you feel like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntaintedSwim View Post
I do not know anybody that doesn't say their 20s were the best time of their lives.
Oh come on. My 20s were all about struggling to establish myself in a career, getting my first tastes of office politics and layoffs, ridiculous work hours, bills, budgeting, etc. I'd imagine most people's favorite time is when they are finally retired and can do what they want.

To OP, you have some options that shouldn't be too hard to attain. You can join the military and stay in for 20 years, then collect a pension. You could also teach English overseas. It isn't too hard to get a TEFL certificate and then hired. There are a TON of those jobs available. It might be kind of a neat experience for you anyway. Alternatively, you could drive a semi. They are gone all the time but make decent money. You just need a few weeks of classes and a CDL and then you will be hired as there are tons of trucking jobs available.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 33,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Oh come on. My 20s were all about struggling to establish myself in a career, getting my first tastes of office politics and layoffs, ridiculous work hours, bills, budgeting, etc. I'd imagine most people's favorite time is when they are finally retired and can do what they want.

To OP, you have some options that shouldn't be too hard to attain. You can join the military and stay in for 20 years, then collect a pension. You could also teach English overseas. It isn't too hard to get a TEFL certificate and then hired. There are a TON of those jobs available. It might be kind of a neat experience for you anyway. Alternatively, you could drive a semi. They are gone all the time but make decent money. You just need a few weeks of classes and a CDL and then you will be hired as there are tons of trucking jobs available.
Thank you. Thank you for injecting an adult perspective to this conversation because if I had seen one more "pat on the head ,coddled, poor you, here's a pill" post, I would have left the thread.

Our ancestors used to call the OPs circumstances, "life experience", "acquisition of wisdom", "trials and triumphs" or "passage into adulthood".

Today, most people live such soft, cushy lives in comparison to what most of human history had to endure (and true even today in other parts of the world) that that ANY adversity produces the blues, a depressive response, or a wallow in self pity event, which of course, is made worse by reinforcement with external pity, is an abnormal crisis.

Welcome to your life, Maddog.

It's pandemic. I assume that you (statisticsnerd) are likely in your mid 40's up? Well, our generation was well into this culture of self-wallowing and "instafixes in a pill" to restore the gosh-darn, guaranteed right to blissful happiness that is missing because circumstances have treated one badly (don't you dare insinuate that one had a big hand in creating those circumstances, why that would be insensitive! - I guess I must be a real moron because I have been ENTIRELY responsible for all of my screwups and left-turns, LOL), and I'd say a good portion of Boomers, and Gen X are poisoned with this state of mind.

And guess who their children are? And grandchildren?

They are the ones sitting in mom and dad's basement cranking World of Warcraft 11 hours a day, wallowing in their self pity while consuming tons of instant fix Ritalin and Prozac to combat "life's unfairness" and their "clinical depression". Clinical? Wow, that sounds serious. Someone call an ambulance.

Maddog. Butch up. You are at a crossroads and before you, is a trial that could skyrocket you into an incredible future if you look at this present hurdle as an opportunity to EARN self esteem and confidence, to prove to yourself that you can overcome adversity (that will be needed in the future, I PROMISE you that) and while this present medicine that you have to swallow (I don't mean pills) tastes bitter now, in 30 years you will be telling your grandchildren the same types of stories that you have been told here, while looking back over the whole affair explaining it all to some young man in a forum stuck in the same rut that you too had to once plow through.

When using the pronoun "your" in the following, I am referring to your generation and not necessarily you Maddog. So don't come apart on my buddy, ok?

Your goofy teachers failed you when they handed everyone in your generation a trophy for participating because "everyone wins". (See now, how that is BS?. The real world is cruel, and your role models of your youth I deeply suspect shielded you from that cruelty and as a result inflicted the greatest possible cruelty on your generation) Your parents and teachers failed your generations when they doted on you excessively, pampered you and wiped your noses into your 20s, and became your best friends before you guys were out of diapers, instead of taking the much tougher, more difficult, and responsible role of parent. The parents and adults of your generation failed when they so gullibly bought into the snake oil fraud Dr. Benjamin Spock's pseudo intellectual pop psychology, treating generations, starting with my own ( I am turning 50) as a grand lab experiment in behavioral modification that on a grand scale, is generating results that aren't looking so good.

But here's the good news. You are not alone. You're not "weird" relative to these latest generations. The generation before you, and your very generation, are rife with the effects of this modern pseudo psychological nonsense and you can exploit that!
Make a commitment to yourself to accept responsibility for your place in life, do that, and you will rocket yourself miles ahead of the "competition". Drill into your heart, and between your ears that you WILL accept responsibility for your own outcome, for your own actions, and the world will be your oyster. Here's the punchline: Because so many are NOT doing that, if you do, then you will be able to walk through many doors that they don't have a key to. Don't do that and I guarantee you that the trophy "We are all winners" that your little league team got for its pathetic 2-18 season will lose more luster with every passing year. Do what we say here and in 10 years you'll be using that trophy as an oil pan in your garage.

Best of luck to you. You are at a crossroads and from this vantage point, the direction to turn is obvious.

Tell you what. These kind of threads tend to be memorable. You come back here in a year or two and tell us about how you decided to take the bull by the horns and how you are already executing x% of your plan, and people here, including myself, will want to buy you a beer when we are in town. I mean that.

Many of us (I know this for a fact, I am getting TONS of positive comments in my inbox regarding my comments) are saddened by how deeply this culture has gone to crap and along comes you, asking for advice on how to unscrew a bad situation. Maddog, most folks won't even to that, so you have already taken the first step! WHEN, not if, you do this, and you come back in a year of so to share your travels with us, you will inspire so many of us, and give us hope that maybe, just maybe, there is a chance that good old fashioned personal responsibility and "stick-to-it-tiveness" is making a comeback.

Be our hero Maddog.

Godspeed. Now get off your butt and stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's unmanly. Many of us are depending on young men like you to help bring in a new generation that doesn't snivel, and isn't jacked up on antidepressants and ritalin. Make us all proud!

Old 05-02-2015, 11:00 PM

25 posts, read 33,296 times
Insensitive reply...This last guy.
Sorry OP had to read it.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 AM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntaintedSwim View Post
Insensitive reply...This last guy.
Sorry OP had to read it.
^I disagree. It's exactly what needs to be said.

It's an ongoing thing apparently for the OP:
i have very little ambition and no interest in any kind of a career - any advice?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadKing88 View Post
i am in a situation where I am underemployed/long term unemployed due to health reasons, I've lost a lot of my motivation and I am just at a loss now in life on what career to pursue. i worry that no employers will want to hire me and i will struggle earning above minimum wage. i would study for qualifications, but i have no idea what i want to pursue or study, so this idea is redundant at the moment.

i am becoming a bit fed up now tbh and my motivation is very low. i think i am depressed but i am not going to the doctors about it as i want to get myself out of this situation before it spirals fully out of control. i am not feeling sociable at the moment at all and i avoid friends, family and just want to be left alone.

if i wanted to go to university/college i would need to study for ages before even getting there which means i would be almost 30 before i started. who the hell is going to employ a 30+ year old fresh out of school?!

my only real chance is to start my own business, but I'm not even business minded or entrepreneurial. However, i don't want to be another statistic and really, desperately want better for myself but the problem is, knowing what the heck to do. it seems a lot of people know what they want, go to college/uni and come out going in to well paid jobs, but here i am underemployed, no idea what to do and generally lost in life.

i want to create a fulfilling future for myself, but this is seeming more and more unlikely as the months pass. it feels like time is going so damn fast and i am still lost in a revolving pit. i have been thinking about getting an office job of some kind that pays okay; something like sales or marketing.

has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you get out of it? every day feels like a damn struggle and with my low motivation, i don't know where to turn.

any advice?

p.s. sorry to sound so negative. I really do want to improve my situation, but i am so confused regarding the best way out of this dark hole of unemployment and future decisions.
here's what you do:

-start taking care of yourself. what health issues do you have besides the depression? start eating better, going to the gym, and getting plenty of sleep. physically, you'll feel better and more able to take on the world. exercise is like the best thing for depression
-from there, enroll in a tech college and study a trade
-go to a temp agency and try to find some full time work.
-stop watching so much tv or using facebook. they are known to cause depression or make it worse
-make a to-do list. set goals. try to accomplish at least three important things a day for the benefit of yourself at first, then work towards helping others. it can be as simple as giving blood or volunteering at a soup kitchen.
-reflect on the things you are thankful for as opposed to the negatives. chances are, someone has it worse than you, or it could always get worse.
-don't take **** from anybody, especially people on CD forums. the world and the forum is full of know-it-alls and narcissists. block out the noise and just work toward your goals. if someone gets in the way of those goals, eliminate them from your life or just....eliminate them. I don't need to explain that for you to understand what I mean.
-reward yourself for accomplishing those goals
-get angry: anger motivates alot people to succeed
-be realistic: life is always going to suck. find a way to make it suck less.
-get a hobby that you enjoy

Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Temping is probably the only option here to stay afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment