Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Money is not the root of it, their lack of desire to work at all is the problem.
The money's a big factor, too.

I recently learned about a Graphic Designer position that pays $46K. That's what I was making as a second-level manager 15 years ago. $10-12/hour isn't enough for a CNA position that involves physical labor.

My hometown newspaper recently ran a story about 5,000 manufacturing jobs going unfilled in that county and adjacent counties. The quote from a company president was lamenting that the kids in those counties don't want to train and acquire the skills for manufacturing jobs. He said flatly that they all either want to "work on computers or become cops." The job the OP describes is a long way from either of those options. It's not desirable to young people.

Last edited by Bo; 04-15-2015 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
No, this is a pay issue. I worked at a grocery store 5 years ago and made 11.50 an hour to stock shelves. You are clearly getting bottom of the barrel employees for bottom of the barrel pay. Quit blaming my generation for your lack of fair pay.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You guys are avoiding the real issue..........today's youth have a terrible work ethic. Money is not the root of it, their lack of desire to work at all is the problem.

I work with a mix of older and younger people, and the turn over in younger ones is 10-20 times what it is for the older ones, and we are all paid pretty much the same. They call in with no notice, show up late, always have some reason to have to leave early, and have a cell phone in their hand constantly. We had one guy who missed 5 days in his first 4 weeks.

Nope, they are just lazy, have no drive, and don't think about how it affects everyone else when they don't pull their weight or show up. THAT is the real issue.

Older people come in before their shift starts, get right to work, will fill in on a moments notice if needed, and think of their fellow workers before they call off. That is why we keep our jobs and kids do not.

Don

Gee willikers, mister.

I'd be doing the Charleston is I could work for someone like you.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:43 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
No, this is a pay issue. I worked at a grocery store 5 years ago and made 11.50 an hour to stock shelves. You are clearly getting bottom of the barrel employees for bottom of the barrel pay. Quit blaming my generation for your lack of fair pay.

Yes and no. But come on just because someone makes 11 bucks an hour does not make it okay for them to leave mid shift. A job is a job is a job. I think they need a new hiring assistant and or there is something underlying going on at the job the OP talks about for turn over being that high....even in a low wage position.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
The real issue for older workers is that today's young workers are smarter, cheaper, and have more stamina to work long hours and focus. Old farts are ready to go home by 5PM. Young people are just getting started. They have all the fresh and innovative ideas, they know and keep up with technology much better than older folks. They are a threat. That's why these threads pop up every two weeks or so.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
Lower pay definitely equates to an employee with a lesser skillset or a lack of ambition. Who would want to break their back for $9-$13 an hour? I would do absolutely the bare minimum.

I also believe a lot of the older workers today (from what I see in corporate) are pretty inefficient in how they go about their processes, learning new technologies, and become overwhelmed over relatively mundane projects.

They may be more punctual than a lot of the 'newer generation', but they are certainly not without their flaws.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The real issue for older workers is that today's young workers are smarter, cheaper, and have more stamina to work long hours and focus. Old farts are ready to go home by 5PM. Young people are just getting started. They have all the fresh and innovative ideas, they know and keep up with technology much better than older folks. They are a threat. That's why these threads pop up every two weeks or so.
I need to get home in time for supper. Then the Mrs. and I are going to cruise on down to get a soda pop at the drive in.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM

56 posts, read 70,978 times
Maybe it is a double edged problem.

Companies don't want to pay much. They need to keep profits high, so they figure let's set the wages as low as we can. They also have to base the pay on the area. Where I live the stock $10 an hour is bandied about like they are giving you the best pay in the world and you better count yourself lucky to get it.

Jobs like administrative, receptionist, these sort of jobs pay about that. I have seen wages slip to less. I hardly see these jobs anymore in the paper or online. Most are obtained "temp" or temp to perm by an agency. (another scam to keep wages low).

Stocking shelves, supermarket work pays minimum. Maybe a bit more.

Meanwhile they figure they want as much bang for the buck so they hire young people--it looks nice to see Fresh faced Freddy or Perky Michelle bouncing about enthused to serve your pizza or whatever. Older people make others feel uncomfortable, especially in physically demanding jobs.

So the young person, many of whom are cell phone addicts with sans social skills (again maybe not their fault but "society's") comes to work, gets fed up with the wages, realizes they cannot even get a foot hold in life on $200 a week and starts to look for greener pastures. They may live with Mom and Dad and can afford to quit.

Older people are usually desperate for any job in this economy, and will put up with more.

I don't think it is an AGE problem. It should not be us vs. them. Pay fair wages and expect work from everyone. If they can't or won't get rid of them.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
So the young person, many of whom are cell phone addicts with sans social skills (again maybe not their fault but "society's") comes to work, gets fed up with the wages, realizes they cannot even get a foot hold in life on $200 a week and starts to look for greener pastures. They may live with Mom and Dad and can afford to quit.
They can't get a foothold without working either, $200/week or not. They need to start somewhere

Quote:
They have all the fresh and innovative ideas, they know and keep up with technology much better than older folks. They are a threat. That's why these threads pop up every two weeks or so.
Their fresh idea is to walk off the job? That's innovative... how about do the job they signed up to do, do it right then present ideas after proving they can do the job they agreed to. Why would people give them a chance at making a bigger mess if they can't do the job they signed up for?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I had a shelf stocking job and after a few years I reached the pay max of about $14 or whatever. They offered me a shift manager job that came with no raise. It was simply a stepping stone position to become a salaried manager who often put in 55-60+ hour weeks for only 42 hours of actual pay. No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment