Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM

609 posts, read 615,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In addition, I have two sons who are Millennials who are further along than I was at their ages.

I feel like this is true for a lot of people. My generation is up against a lot of walls and despite these walls so many are accomplishing amazing things. More is expected of you these days. You can't just have a degree. You have to have had very high grades in college, internship experiences, hopefully you speak multiple languages, you may have had to run around networking like crazy to find every little opportunity. Employers are expecting incredibly well-rounded people who have many different things going for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:54 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I work at a LTC Rehab facility, and us older workers have been quite shocked, lately, at the new caliber of younger workers joining our team. Raising the beginning wage of a Nursing Assistant from $10 to $12 hasn't seemed to help much! They hire a half-dozen aides, and, a month later, we're surprised if even one of them stays on!

Their work ethics are quite a contrast to us older workers, and the fear of being fired just doesn't seem to exist with them!

One aide comes waltzing in to the facility at 11:30pm (due at work at 10pm, no calling to say she'd be late), another works a couple hours and then claims sickness and goes home, another calls off from work every pay day, and one just walked right out the front door, right during the middle of the shift, with no good-bye!

"Have you seen Candace? She's got call lights to answer!"
"I saw her going out the front door awhile back, perhaps she went to her car to get something!"

2 hours later: No Candace!

All we can figure out is that some of these younger workers are still living at home, perhaps being supported by their parents, or we may be seeing the effects of the lowering of the fertility rate.

Anyone else experience this in their workplace settings today, or is this an isolated case?
The little "chicks" my doctor hires are a piece of work! Nothing but grade school telephone games with them. I am so old I remember when doctors would hire professionals to work in their offices!

We have talked to him several times about them not returning calls to schedule appointments, not leaving their own name so we know who we are talking to. Another time they left a message saying my DH's prescription was sent to a pharmacy 12 miles away while our regualar pharmacy is only a few blocks from our home. They also think it is cute to lock the door to keep people out, especially on Friday when they want to leave early. They have no work ethic but do specialize in rolling their eyes and making stupid faces at patients!

It is to the point that we are considering finding another doctor as I think he just likes to have those kinds of "chicks" flutttering around. Even my PCP's office manager asked how it was going with them and we never said a word to her about them before that. Sadly, there aren't that many doctors here that we can communicate with so our choices are limited.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
I feel like this is true for a lot of people. My generation is up against a lot of walls and despite these walls so many are accomplishing amazing things. More is expected of you these days. You can't just have a degree. You have to have had very high grades in college, internship experiences, hopefully you speak multiple languages, you may have had to run around networking like crazy to find every little opportunity. Employers are expecting incredibly well-rounded people who have many different things going for them.
Standards are higher but I don't the barriers to entry are as high as many of the naysayers say. I mostly goofed off in college (took six years to get a econ/poli sci) degree, had only one internship in a sales-ish role. It took about four years to get into a decent job (spent two years at one place just to get a work history going and wasn't really concerned about moving forward until 2012) after graduating in 2010 and now I'm gainfully employed. Most of my immediate peers who had a decent major and/or relocated to metro areas are fine. Those who didn't get a degree, had kids early, or stayed in the hometown are generally struggling.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another millenial/youth bashing thread.

How would people like it if this were a thread bashing us older workers?

Come on people.
Have you seen all the threads bashing retired people for collecting our earned Social Security but they haven't even earned the right to be so critical?

The younger ones take longer to figure out which end is up which is why they are required to work longer hours to get half as much done.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:18 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
I guess I consider myself a member of "Generation X"; I'm in my mid-40's (almost), and over the years, I have worked with:

Younger people who work hard, and
Younger people who are lazy.

Older people who work hard, and
Older people who are lazy.

It doesn't seem to have much to do with age, more a personality/work ethic issue. If someone doesn't have a strong work ethic, they'll try to get away with doing less/doing the minimum - no matter their age.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-15-2015 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 AM

56 posts, read 70,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
At $10-$12, people are not going to work very hard, especially if they believe they can do better in relatively short order. I'm not saying it's ethically right, but it's what happens.
Well, this is the going rate for new hires/new jobs in my area. Pathetic. Degrees do not matter. Do anything "clerical" or "administrative" and this is the wage you see, normally $9 or 10 bucks. I don't live in the cheap South or Midwest, but in New England.

If you go through an agency, they will often quote $10-12 and the job winds up being no more than 10/hr.
Question it and you hear "That's what it pays."

I'd love to know how people get above this rate when they start a job. And please don't tell me education, because I have it and so do a lot of other experienced people.

I have to say I see a definite hiring now of unqualified people in banks, medical offices, and so on. One poster mentioned "chicks" at her doctor's office. I see this at our banks now. In one place I lived a few years back, the "tellers were full of tattoos (visible), looked like they had just come in from a rough night partying, and it made you worried to have them dealing with your finances. Even at my local bank you have these people who cannot be trained bank workers.

Maybe they just get temps now for all these jobs that used to be careers and require skills?

Last edited by Dilnca; 04-15-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilnca View Post
Well, this is the going rate for new hires/new jobs in my area. Pathetic. Degrees do not matter. Do anything "clerical" or "administrative" and this is the wage you see, normally $9 or 10 bucks. I don't live in the cheap South or Midwest, but in New England.

If you go through an agency, they will often quote $10-12 and the job winds up being no more than 10/hr.
Question it and you hear "That's what it pays."

I'd love to know how people get above this rate when they start a job. And please don't tell me education, because I have it and so do a lot of other experienced people.

I have to say I see a definite hiring now of unqualified people in banks, medical offices, and so on. One poster mentioned "chicks" at her doctor's office. I see this at our banks now. In one place I lived a few years back, the "tellers were full of tattoos (visible), looked like they had just come in from a rough night partying, and it made you worried to have them dealing with your finances. Even at my local bank you have these people who cannot be trained bank workers.

Maybe they just get temps now for all these jobs that used to be careers and require skills?
That's the going rate in Tennessee too. The Midwest pay much better than that generally and the COL is about equivalent with the South.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Bottom line.. If you treat your employees like disposable trash that don't matter, you're not going to get a motivated group. And thats the reality of the workplace for the younger people today. Employees used to be treated well and paid accordingly and in turn you had a motivated workforce. Now employees are starved out, treating like crap and the best ones end up with the job of half a dozen people thrown onto them (because management would rather operate on a skeleton crew and burn the hell out of their employees they kept around). I think the last report I read showed a 75-80 percent of worker disengagement? Thats INSANE. Where the ^*&# are the people that should be coming down on management for treating their workforce like trash causing this disengagement at work?

there has been an even bigger shift within the last few years of the workforce to even cutting out christmas get togethers or work parties etc which helped raise morale. Simple things that employers would at least to do show some damn appreciation to their people (simple parties) and those are being cut out so the greedy management in place can buy their 3rd or 4th car, and the upper executives can buy their yachts.

Taking all of this into account. Why should this younger generation show such a high initiative? Employers don't care anyways. Its all about maximizing profit and cutting cost anywhere they can cut cost and throw all the work onto the remaining employees.

Most of this younger generation isn't lazy. They are just disillusioned and tired of being treated like crap by their employers. And they come to the conclusion (and the correct one) that there is no loyalty, respect, appreciation, real compensation from these companies today

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-15-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Bottom line.. If you treat your employees like disposable trash that don't matter, you're not going to get a motivated group. And thats the reality of the workplace for the younger people today. Employees used to be treated well and paid accordingly and in turn you had a motivated workforce. Now employees are starved out, treating like crap and the best ones end up with the job of half a dozen people thrown onto them (because management would rather operate on a skeleton crew and burn the hell out of their employees they kept around). I think the last report I read showed a 75-80 percent of worker disengagement? Thats INSANE. Where the ^*&# are the people that should be coming down on management for treating their workforce like trash causing this disengagement at work?

there has been an even bigger shift within the last few years of the workforce to even cutting out christmas get togethers or work parties etc which helped raise morale. Simple things that employers would at least to do show some damn satisfaction to their people (simple parties) and those are being cut out so the greedy management in place can buy their 3rd or 4th car, and the upper executives can buy their yachts.

Taking all of this into account. Why should this younger generation show such a high initiative?

The
This is the age old question. What came first? Chicken or the egg? Is it that employees are not paid accordingly up front, and therefore are not motivated to do the work, or do employees no longer want to earn bigger paychecks by proving themselves over time?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
In my field younger workers work 18 hours a day, pull 'all nighters' and never take vacation.

However, nobody in their right mind, young or old, is going to do that for $12/hr. Where I live, you can make $23/hr stocking shelves at ALDI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment