Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
I believe only HR and a direct manager should have a copy of my resume. It's not for everyone to see.
What is on your resume? I thought the general point of one was to have as many people as possible see it. You never know where your next job will come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM

115 posts, read 198,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What is on your resume? I thought the general point of one was to have as many people as possible see it. You never know where your next job will come from.
I didn't get that memo. My resume is standard but it's not for everyone at the company to see and try and size me up. The hiring manager and HR are the only ones I'm giving permission to view it when I apply for a job

Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
I didn't get that memo. My resume is standard but it's not for everyone at the company to see and try and size me up. The hiring manager and HR are the only ones I'm giving permission to view it when I apply for a job

Do you state that in your cover letter?

Because those aren't the only people that see it.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you state that in your cover letter?

Because those aren't the only people that see it.
It's my expectation that anyone not involved in the hiring or interview process should not see my resume

Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
When I started a job a few years ago I found out the employees of the firm had googled me to learn more about me. Basically instead of waiting to meet me and get to know me they went looking for dirt. Have you done this or encountered messy people who've done this to you? Why do people feel the need to call around or Google search new employees looking for dirt? What are your thoughts?
I do it every time before I meet someone of importance. Consider it a compliment.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
It's my expectation that anyone not involved in the hiring or interview process should not see my resume
You need to adjust your expectations. Resumes are not held in confidence.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You need to adjust your expectations. Resumes are not held in confidence.

Exactly.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I'd consider it due diligence. Imagine googling an applicant and finding an article: Charges that Joe Schmo murdered his last boss were dropped after the judge ruled evidence was mishandled and excluded it.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
I believe only HR and a direct manager should have a copy of my resume. It's not for everyone to see. They're are things that are on Google that you can't control. I too have deleted everything I can but there is plenty of things such as public records which can't be removed. I personally won't Google a new worker or look at their LinkedIn account. Instead I'll give him or her the benefit of the doubt and get to know him or her over time. Calling folks for info, googling and looking at LinkedIn just creates preconceived judgment towards an individual

In most companies people do not get the resume of new hires, but many may look at your linkedin page, which is basically the same thing.

You're right, there are things on Google one cannot control. This is our world today. Anything you put online, or any record you have, or if you ended up in the police blotter, or foreclosed on your house, etc., people will now be able to find. Employers google people they're planning on hiring all the time. And who knows what co-workers do.

If they have so much time on their hands, and are so tacky, that they talk to one another about what they've dug up, they don't have enough to do during their workday and have a high school mentality. There is nothing you can do about that. Just like you cannot control what shows up on Google, you cannot control that.

All you can do is take the high road and choose not to engage in the gossip about others, and know whatever they may be saying about you makes them look worse than whatever they may have uncovered.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd consider it due diligence. Imagine googling an applicant and finding an article: Charges that Joe Schmo murdered his last boss were dropped after the judge ruled evidence was mishandled and excluded it.
Due diligence as part of companies such as hire right or the HR department. An individual employee should stay in their lane and mind his or her own business. The issue is about appropriateness. I expect this stuff from hr and employment verification or background companies but if the company found me good enough to hire then an individual employee should not be searching for details about my career history or life. These type of people are ultimately only trying to size someone up to make themselves look better. If they have a genuine interest in getting to know a person they would let that happen naturally over time through working with the person and forming their own opinion based on what the person shows them not based on minute or currently irrelevant details that show up in a google search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment