Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
For whatever reason everyone has switched the topics to resume. I'm talking about individuals who are mess starters. Looking for dirt and end up going around starting rumors or try and make the person look bad based on what they found.
Your evidence that the people were "mess starters" was that they googled you. That's an assumption I don't find reasonable and you really haven't provided any detail or support for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
"messy"? how old are you?

Well, let me tell you something you may not be aware of.

It's 2015.
My slacker co-irker who is late-30s uses this word. I think it's a cultural thing. It makes me cringe, because of the connotations I know she puts with it. And I guess I have to admit, by her definition, I am most definitely messy. Oh well.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
For whatever reason everyone has switched the topics to resume.

aahahaaaaa!!! That is what C-Ders do all 'round the forums!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM

115 posts, read 198,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Your evidence that the people were "mess starters" was that they googled you. That's an assumption I don't find reasonable and you really haven't provided any detail or support for it.
I've seen it done to others and know others have done it to me. I've had the mess starters come to me with stuff they saw and ultimately based on what they saw they did more research and asked and heard things. If someone didn't view a person's linkedin profile they would have no clue were a new person previously worked and wouldn't be able to ask around about a person for example.

My main point is people should not go out of their at trying to find out anything good or bad about a person.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
My slacker co-irker who is late-30s uses this word. I think it's a cultural thing. It makes me cringe, because of the connotations I know she puts with it. And I guess I have to admit, by her definition, I am most definitely messy. Oh well.
I actually had to chuckle, haven't ever heard "co-irker" before

Old 04-15-2015, 11:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
For whatever reason everyone has switched the topics to resume. I'm talking about individuals who are mess starters. Looking for dirt and end up going around starting rumors or try and make the person look bad based on what they found.

I.e. - "I saw this person used to work for X. My cousin who works there says this person is Y & Z." or "This person attended x University everyone knows people who go there are ...." Or "this person is divorced and had a foreclosure which obviously means ..." Or "I saw public record that this person business failed how can they run our department?"

This is the type of messiness I'm referring too. I'm not talking about a general bio that "Mary comes to us from the tech industry where she has 15 years of strategy and finance experience." that HR published
Facts are facts and if they are publicly available, you should operate on the presumption that others are aware of them.

As for the opinions, people are going to have those regardless of the method by which the learn the fact that caused them to have that opinion. It doesn't matter whether it's from researching online or from the office gossip mill, but the info travels around either way. It did long before the internet!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
Quote:

I.e. - "I saw this person used to work for X. My cousin who works there says this person is Y & Z." or "This person attended x University everyone knows people who go there are ...." Or "this person is divorced and had a foreclosure which obviously means ..." Or "I saw public record that this person business failed how can they run our department?"

This is the type of messiness I'm referring too. I'm not talking about a general bio that "Mary comes to us from the tech industry where she has 15 years of strategy and finance experience." that HR published
Just one of a thousand reasons to safeguard your professional reputation. If you had a good reputation you would be happy to have your new colleagues hear how wonderful and productive you were at your last employer. It is only problem employees who wouldn't want word to get out about their true work ethic/interpersonal skills/etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
Were they looking at your facebook or twitter? Are they trying to find out about your personal life? This is why you don't post all of your business on the internet. Everybody knows that.

LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
Were they looking at your facebook or twitter? Are they trying to find out about your personal life? This is why you don't post all of your business on the internet. Everybody knows that.

LOL
Agreed. But people also shouldn't be so nosy

Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But people also shouldn't be so nosy
But they are. It's human nature. Especially when they find dirt, in some cases it's like hitting pay dirt! Maybe that's why they call it hitting pay dirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment