Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times

Advertisements

I feel for you, and yes, people do this all the time. My brother was once fired from a job after he posted an anti-racist comment on his Fakebook page. This is why I don't have a Fakebook page, and if I DID have one, I would not use my real name or give coworkers or a boss access to it.

The boss was a racist, it turns out.

People HAVE to learn not to constantly spew their personal details all over the Internet. It isn't JUST your friends you are talking too, and "friends" are often only acquaintances, and sometimes not even that. And friends don't stay friends over time, necessarily. There are also lots of fake friends who will happily stab you in the back just for the little thrill it gives them.

Do not post anything to the Internet that it would bother you to see broadcast on TV. In fact, just don't post anything to the Internet, and be super careful with your e-mail as well. Never use a work computer to surf or read or send personal e-mails, don't got to your fakebook page at work.

Nothing on the Internet is private, and the silliest (seemingly) things can come back to bite you in the a**. The only way to keep your private things private is - well - to keep them to yourself, and OFF the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 PM

659 posts, read 940,658 times
I have the opposite problem.
I'm squeaky clean. The only dirt anyone can find is that I am a nerd and like nerdy/geeky stuff.
I'm also pretty hard to find online. I have almost ZERO online presence simply because my last name makes me a rare person. Despite moving out three years ago, the US Census, Google, and Phone Books as well as public records.... BARELY has any information on me other than confirming that I won some contest awards and I went to a specific college or high school and have a FB account.

To these companies, I'm a tech dinosaur even when I'm not. If they can't find anything on me because I'm barely there, what makes you think they are willing to hire me? They usually think I have "something to hide" since I'm not there. But really, it's because of my last name. There's less than 13 people on this planet with my last name online, 7 of them in the USA, and 1 is me. The others from #14 and up? Well I think they live in remote or poor places with no internet access. So yes, it's a double-edge sword... I'm both easy to find and super hard to find (especially if I choose to live off the grid).

Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
The op is not being paranoid. Its perfectly normal these days for HR and hiring managers to "google" you as an applicant. I noticed this as well because when I applied for a few positions a few months ago my linkedin "blew up" with notifications that people were looking at my page.

Im a bit nervous about this because even though my name is uncommon there was a guy in the UK with the EXACT same name as me who was arrested for child rape. So when my name is googled theres like a full page of articles on it...

Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The op is not being paranoid. Its perfectly normal these days for HR and hiring managers to "google" you as an applicant. I noticed this as well because when I applied for a few positions a few months ago my linkedin "blew up" with notifications that people were looking at my page.

He IS being paranoid because as you said, it is perfectly normal to do so, and it is perfectly OK to do so. The paranoia comes from the OPs assumption that people are looking for dirt, as opposed to just trying to find out more about you.

What is the point in having a linkedin or other presence if you don't want people to see it?!?!?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
When I started a job a few years ago I found out the employees of the firm had googled me to learn more about me. Basically instead of waiting to meet me and get to know me they went looking for dirt. Have you done this or encountered messy people who've done this to you? Why do people feel the need to call around or Google search new employees looking for dirt? What are your thoughts?
Did they FIND anything???????

Old 04-16-2015, 10:46 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
I only check out someone if they are hot. Otherwise I could care less. lol.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I feel for you, and yes, people do this all the time. My brother was once fired from a job after he posted an anti-racist comment on his Fakebook page. This is why I don't have a Fakebook page, and if I DID have one, I would not use my real name or give coworkers or a boss access to it.

The boss was a racist, it turns out.

People HAVE to learn not to constantly spew their personal details all over the Internet. It isn't JUST your friends you are talking too, and "friends" are often only acquaintances, and sometimes not even that. And friends don't stay friends over time, necessarily. There are also lots of fake friends who will happily stab you in the back just for the little thrill it gives them.

Do not post anything to the Internet that it would bother you to see broadcast on TV. In fact, just don't post anything to the Internet, and be super careful with your e-mail as well. Never use a work computer to surf or read or send personal e-mails, don't got to your fakebook page at work.

Nothing on the Internet is private, and the silliest (seemingly) things can come back to bite you in the a**. The only way to keep your private things private is - well - to keep them to yourself, and OFF the Internet.
Oh the irony of posting this publicly on an online message board.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM

115 posts, read 198,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
He IS being paranoid because as you said, it is perfectly normal to do so, and it is perfectly OK to do so. The paranoia comes from the OPs assumption that people are looking for dirt, as opposed to just trying to find out more about you.

What is the point in having a linkedin or other presence if you don't want people to see it?!?!?
Regardless good or bad people should not be searching for stuff about anyone. Wait to be introduced and I'll tell you what you need to know

Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 AM

115 posts, read 198,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Did they FIND anything???????
They found out where I grew up, past projects that I've worked on and the such. This was what was available online at the time that I couldn't get removed. But there intent was malicious not innocent. They trin to insult where I grew up, went to school and such.

Much later I foolishly connected with a coworker on Facebook. I pass by her cube and she is going through my profile scrutinizing everything with a couple others. I immediately grabbed my phone and blocked her.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
This is standard. If you are hired for any job you should EXPECT them to investigate you online via facebook, google, ect. I see nothing wrong with this, this is a standard practice in today's world of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment