Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM

195 posts, read 231,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am so sorry, OP. But in answer to your original question in the title -- Laid Off or Fired? Who did your work after you left? -- How the heck would I know, and why the heck would I care????
I don't care about the company or the boss who did not back me up and laid me off with no warning and made me leave immediately. But I do care about the nice people in the office who were in the middle of a project with me and now will have to do twice as much work because they can't get the information they need from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I don't care about the company or the boss who did not back me up and laid me off with no warning and made me leave immediately. But I do care about the nice people in the office who were in the middle of a project with me and now will have to do twice as much work because they can't get the information they need from me.
That is unfortunate. Prayer - that's all I got.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Quote:
If they really resent it, they'll start looking for new jobs themselves. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I can tell you were a responsible employee who saw the big picture concerning your responsibilities and knew what you were doing after so many years. Good for you. But just know that no one can possibly do near as good a job as you did, at least right now. Things will definitely fall through the cracks for awhile and your presence will be missed by people in the office who depended on you.

This happens whether a good employee is fired, laid off or quits. Just don't continue working for them for free, even though you want to help. If others continue to call and ask questions, tell them they have to hire you as a paid consultant for a few days. They probably won't, but it will stop the phone calls.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
When I was let go, I felt bad for the coworker I liked (there were just 3 of us at the time.) I also felt terrible for my clients, some of whom I had formed very strong relationships with. It was no longer my business, but that doesn't mean I stopped caring what kind of service they received. I have to say, it was a bit of an ego boost to get numerous messages on LinkedIn telling me that I was the best representative they had worked with at my company and asking why I left.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Rest assured the company already had a plan on how they would distribute your workload before they let you go. They're not going to make a rash decision that leaves them in dire straits. I remember as a teen walking out of the auto part store I worked at when a shady assistant manager got both managers fired (She was changing our timesheets but blamed it on them).

We all walked out assuming the store would close. The next morning, it was business as usual with a group pulled from stores in other areas. I got brought back after the new manager heard why I left, but whether I did or didn't go back, wouldn't have mattered.

It's unfortunate, but there's not a lot you can do so I wouldn't be too worried about the company. Focus on moving forward. Sometimes you just have to let the past stay there. Wish you the best!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
That sort of thing happened to me, too, several decades ago. It was a family owned business and one of the family members had an issue with a snippy remark I'd made to her when she was upset about having to do a temporary refund to a client due to a billing error on the company's side. It wasn't even that snippy of a remark even. I'd just made the company a quarter million in sales and we didn't even get a commission so at least I figured I deserved a snippy remark or at least a not overly respectful remark. Well, she didn't really like me and I wasn't family so she didn't have to put up with me, I guess since later that day, I was fired. But she didn't spend much time in the office at all and didn't know who actually did the workload and I guess she thought the new boss they'd brought in to my department several months earlier (we were a department of two) actually knew how to do anything. He barely knew how to turn on the computer but he had the engineering degree so he had to be there. I'd tried to train him, but he was resistant - I was just a mere aide or secretary, don'tcha know? - so it was easier for me to just do the work. In any case, he didn't know how to get the projects done and it was a huge snarled mess after I left. (Some of the other employees who were kinda jealous that I'd escaped filled me in.) There were three or four major projects underway with some pretty involved shipping and ordering required which was all in the computer I was using. All he had to do was to boot it up and hit "print" and that would start the whole process. During the whole process, he'd just have to print out the papers that were already set up and give them to the shipping department, the client, etc. I'd even had a calender of what to do when. I'd been looking at getting that set up to be automatic but hadn't quite gotten that part done although I'd gotten it pretty streamlined by then. Most of the office still did things with pads of paper, pre-printed forms, pencils and hand calculators; I'd computerized all mine so it was really easy. But, they'd even taken the computer that I'd been using that had all the project data on it and wiped it clean and gave it to the warehouse folks, so they lost the ability to press one button and get all the parts lists, shipping orders, invoices, etc. etc. I'd told a friend in the warehouse how to do that so he could be the hero of the hour, but, they'd deleted all that so he wasn't able to. They expected the new "boss" to pick up the slack and get the projects done. Ye gawds and little fishes, but that would have been an impossible task for the fellow. He wouldn't have even known where to start. The whole company folded within a year - I'm not claiming firing me was the root cause of it all, there were other issues going on, but there's a certain grim satisfaction in it.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:14 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Same thing happened to my husband... and they hired him back as a consultant. Because they didn't pay him bennies or do any paperwork on tax stuff, he got paid MORE than he made as an employee. Made tax time a little harder....

Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
I was recently laid off from a job of over twenty years.

I thought I was protected from layoff because I was doing something that needed to be done in the company due to financial regulations, and company procedures. No one else knew how to do my job.

The day I was laid off I was told to leave immediately even though I was in the middle of a number of projects, had to return countless phone calls and emails and no one was trained on how to do my job. People all over the organization were depending on me to get back to them about countless irons in the fire and their effectiveness was impacted because of my departure.

I asked my boss about how he would be able to handle all these issues and problems when he did not know what I was doing or how to do my job. He said he would take care of it, but he knew he couldn't. I offered to help train him or other people how to do my job and to follow up on all my outstanding issues and projects but he said no.

Is that any way to run a business? I feel terrible. (Not for the company, but for my coworkers who now will not be able to finish the projects they were working on with me.)
Not much you can do. If they made a decision that hurt themselves, so be it. You need to work on figuring out how YOU will move on...

Old 04-17-2015, 02:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
But at least they weren't laid off. They'll manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment