Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:29 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

Early March I interviewed for a part time job with the local school district, I was offered the job and told I would receive a call the next week to begin the process. At the time I was offered the job they were waiting for the new director of this program to finish her hiring process, so I never interviewed with the person who would be my supervisor. It took almost a month to finally get me to the point of the physical and drug test. The evening after I had my physical I finally got to talk to my supervisor and some of the things she told me have made me very hesitant about this job. The program is a federally funded after school program with upwards of 70 children at 3 different schools and at this time they only have 4 staff members plus the director and she is only there because they are short staffed. I was never told that there would be the potential that I would physically have to restrain children (which the director had to do last week) nor was I told that they were that short staffed and they have one worker dealing with 21 kids. It is a minimum wage paying job that was just going to be extra spending money to me but now I am not sure this is something I want to deal with. It seems like there is a lot of liability that I wasn't told about when interviewed and had they told me what the director told me in the interview I would have told them that it wasn't the job for me. If I hadn't already done my physical and drug test I would call and tell them I no longer wanted the job. Any suggestions? My husband says to just give it a try and I can quit later if it does not work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
If you don't want the job, don't take it. No need to feel badly. They weren't completely up front.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM

115 posts, read 198,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Early March I interviewed for a part time job with the local school district, I was offered the job and told I would receive a call the next week to begin the process. At the time I was offered the job they were waiting for the new director of this program to finish her hiring process, so I never interviewed with the person who would be my supervisor. It took almost a month to finally get me to the point of the physical and drug test. The evening after I had my physical I finally got to talk to my supervisor and some of the things she told me have made me very hesitant about this job. The program is a federally funded after school program with upwards of 70 children at 3 different schools and at this time they only have 4 staff members plus the director and she is only there because they are short staffed. I was never told that there would be the potential that I would physically have to restrain children (which the director had to do last week) nor was I told that they were that short staffed and they have one worker dealing with 21 kids. It is a minimum wage paying job that was just going to be extra spending money to me but now I am not sure this is something I want to deal with. It seems like there is a lot of liability that I wasn't told about when interviewed and had they told me what the director told me in the interview I would have told them that it wasn't the job for me. If I hadn't already done my physical and drug test I would call and tell them I no longer wanted the job. Any suggestions? My husband says to just give it a try and I can quit later if it does not work out.
My first thought is to listen to you husband. You apprehension and worry may not even be valid and you won't know Untitle l you start. However it may ruin your future prospects if you take the job then quit. So it may be best to be honest and upfront now to ensure that you'll be considered for future opportunities within the school district

Old 04-18-2015, 08:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
A class of 21 kids is on the small side. It's uncommon for class sizes of 20 or fewer kids. Teachers often have to work with class sizes of 30+ students. It's been like this for decades.

If you can't handle groups of kids, I would not take the job. There's nothing wrong with finding other work. I don't have the patience for working with kids either. I don't blame you.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 AM

251 posts, read 341,895 times
If this job is just for "extra spending money" I would politely decline the position. It doesn't sound like you are interested in it. I'm sure you can find other part-time work that is more suitable to what you want to do.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 AM

299 posts, read 350,605 times
The term "physically restrain them" should set off HUGE warning bells as this is a situation fraught with liability. Also, being short-staffed in a position that requires overseeing groups of young children should tell you something. Pay attention to your gut feeling. Politely decline. You don't owe a potential employer anything.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have a lot of things to think about, I am expecting a phone call this next week to do my new hire paperwork.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
How long are the shifts? 3-4 hours? It doesn't sound worrisome to me at all. Children stay in after school programs all over the country. My daughter in law had a similar job with no issues and loved it. You're not by yourself, you have 3 other employees working with you. Sounds like a nice part time job to me if you love children, which I assume you do since you applied with the school district.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
The term "physically restrain them" should set off HUGE warning bells as this is a situation fraught with liability. Also, being short-staffed in a position that requires overseeing groups of young children should tell you something. Pay attention to your gut feeling. Politely decline. You don't owe a potential employer anything.
It really bothered me to hear her say she had to restrain the child to control him, that is not something I am comfortable doing, there is just to much liability and considering I would be part-time and minimum wage, I wouldn't really expect the school district to have my back if a parent got upset.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How long are the shifts? 3-4 hours? It doesn't sound worrisome to me at all. Children stay in after school programs all over the country. My daughter in law had a similar job with no issues and loved it. You're not by yourself, you have 3 other employees working with you. Sounds like a nice part time job to me if you love children, which I assume you do since you applied with the school district.
The shifts are 3 hours but there are 3 different schools that share the employees, the school with the largest number of kids has 2 of the employees, one for the pre-k group and 1 for the other children and then the other 2 schools have one employee each. I would make the 5th employee and as of right now they are not sure where I would be placed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment