Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Just keep these things in mind when you are applying to jobs.

1. Some job postings are fake

2. Lots of places hire from referrals only

So don't take it personal when you don't hear anything from a certain organization. When I was job seeking I later found out that certain places only hire women and seniors which explained why I never received a call for a interview. So just stay positive and continue applying to jobs with confidence which will lead to a call back eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 PM

51 posts, read 47,062 times
Thank you all for your constructive replies

It's a bit strange that when I didn't have experience, employers would call me very often.

Now, that I do have experience, I'm not getting a single call.

My job search is no different from the one I did back when I finished college. Maybe I'm not applying to the right jobs.

I'll definitely update my resume. We'll see how it goes.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaEllaElla View Post

It's a bit strange that when I didn't have experience, employers would call me very often.

My job search is no different from the one I did back when I finished college. Maybe I'm not applying to the right jobs.

Maybe the jobs you are applying to are fake and just on the site to test the market.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
For jobs that are in different states, some feel that this is wrong, but whatever. Put in a local address and get a local google voice number. This way they will think you are local. You'll probably have to lie a little bit, fabricate a story, but whatever. After you've gotten the job, it doesn't matter anymore.

To do this approach you have to be able to fly out or bus or something last minute to get to the interview, but it's all part of the job search and you can deduct a lot of it on your taxes.

My story was that I was taking a few months to job search locally in NYC and was subletting the apartment that I was at. When I was asked to come in for an interview, I first asked for a skype interview because I was back in my hometown visiting for a little bit before going back out there.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:40 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaEllaElla View Post

There can be a myriad of reasons why this is.

Job climate different than when you graduated.
Your availability is not flexible enough.
You're applying as a non-local candidate.
Too much experience.
Not enough experience.
Not the experience they're looking for.
Resume isn't conveying the right message.
More competition,
etc...

I think the key is to just keep plugging away. Re-word your resume, tailor the resume to each job posting, have someone review it, etc. The usual stuff.

I personally think your availability is working against you. End of June = an early July start date. It's roughly 10 weeks when you count it. But most will see July and think 90 days. Which can be too far away to consider you.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Back when you were in college the job market was very different. While the other posters are trying to absolve you of any fault, I would take personal responsibility. You are doing something or many things wrong. You are probably not putting in enough work and thought in the job hunting process.

If you are not getting call backs it is all your fault. The job postings are there and you are failing to get interest. When you are ready to take responsibility and stop acting like ou just got out of college maybe you will start getting offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment