Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:35 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,680,818 times

Advertisements

I was going to say no.... until I got to the 150-170k pay!! My husband just took a job working 55 hrs a week, hard labor no benefits and makes 34k a year! He would take your job in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,020,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post
I sell cars for a living and there are some huge drawbacks. I work 50-55 hours a week, including every Saturday. The micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis. My general manager is the absolute hardest person to work for that I've ever come across or even heard of. In the summer time, we have to wear long sleeve shirts and it can get very hot and horribly uncomfortable when it gets into the 80s and 90s. Winter time, we have to be outside and doing snow duty even when it's below 0

Would you tolerate all this to make the 150-170K in your mid 20s that I make?
I have a good boss and you can work from home ( without dress also) . Lets swap.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 31,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I have a good boss and you can work from home ( without dress also) . Lets swap.
I like how you omitted your income level

Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,037,529 times
Default Troll

Quote:
I sell cars for a living and there are some huge drawbacks. I work 50-55 hours a week, including every Saturday. The micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis. My general manager is the absolute hardest person to work for that I've ever come across or even heard of. In the summer time, we have to wear long sleeve shirts and it can get very hot and horribly uncomfortable when it gets into the 80s and 90s. Winter time, we have to be outside and doing snow duty even when it's below 0

If you are making $150k+ in auto sales - keep it up. Go for it. You won't make it 10-15 years anyway. You will either burn out or become a stumbling drunk/druggie from the emotional pressure and drama. Average income for an auto salesman is about 1/4 of what you claim so either quit trolling or make it while you can.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,252,690 times
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't do it long-term. No amount of money is worth being miserable for a long period of time. For a short while, maybe. However, it'll wear on you and will likely cause health issues/depression/stress, etc.

I was in a high pressure sales job at one point of my career, selling home mortgages. This was before the mortgage collapse, so the money was very good. I probably made equivalent to you, inflation adjusted. I didn't have to stand outside, but I had to cold call all day. I absolutely hated that.

I did quit my job, but had an exit strategy. I planned to get my MBA, studying for the GMAT while working as a loan officer. When I was accepted to business school, I quit my job and traveled the summer in Europe. I went to school and with the amount I saved, managed to take out minimal student loans. I ended up going into an Operations role. I did have to take a pay cut for a few years, but my pay did catch up and eventually it dwarfed anything I had earned beforehand. I am a lot happier and had I stayed in the mortgage industry, I probably would've been looking for a job a few years later, when the market collapsed.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,290,935 times
Salesmen are born, not made; if you have the personality to succeed in this environment, then it's no one else's right to sit in judgment upon it. Best of luck to you!

But I wish that many of the employers who, to cite just one example, expect a sales pitch from CSR's in call centers would recognize that there are a lot of us who have been somewhat conditioned -- via either temperament or morality -- against precisely that sort of behavior.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
How do you figure this?

I have a college degree but entry level business jobs pay 40K, not many jobs pay 160K
If you're any good, you won't stay at entry level for very long. Because of your current employment you wouldn't be coming in right at the bottom anyway.

Since you have very strong sales skills, you should be aiming for $500,000 a year by your mid- to late 30s. You can't do that in automotive sales but you can in financial services, tech services, etc.

My next door neighbor is the head of a regional sales team for a Fortune 50 tech company and he is making 7 figures or close to it. He has the personality but no particular tech knowledge - he's just an effective salesman who kept getting promoted - he's about 40 years old - lives in a $2 million house - and has money left over.

The ability to sell is the most valuable skill (in terms of money) that anyone can have.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
If you are making $150k+ in auto sales - keep it up. Go for it. You won't make it 10-15 years anyway. You will either burn out or become a stumbling drunk/druggie from the emotional pressure and drama. Average income for an auto salesman is about 1/4 of what you claim so either quit trolling or make it while you can.

quit trolling? I posted a paystub on second page showing 36k in 2.5 months of earning

Honestly 150K may be on the conservative side, I have a real chance to hit 170-175K this year. I'm going to make around 16-17K this month

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do it long-term. No amount of money is worth being miserable for a long period of time. For a short while, maybe. However, it'll wear on you and will likely cause health issues/depression/stress, etc.

I was in a high pressure sales job at one point of my career, selling home mortgages. This was before the mortgage collapse, so the money was very good. I probably made equivalent to you, inflation adjusted. I didn't have to stand outside, but I had to cold call all day. I absolutely hated that.

I did quit my job, but had an exit strategy. I planned to get my MBA, studying for the GMAT while working as a loan officer. When I was accepted to business school, I quit my job and traveled the summer in Europe. I went to school and with the amount I saved, managed to take out minimal student loans. I ended up going into an Operations role. I did have to take a pay cut for a few years, but my pay did catch up and eventually it dwarfed anything I had earned beforehand. I am a lot happier and had I stayed in the mortgage industry, I probably would've been looking for a job a few years later, when the market collapsed.

you know it's interesting, people complain about the stress and pressure of my job but that has never really bothered me at all. I never feel frustrated about that. What drives me crazy is more of the small things - my GM threatening my job twice in a year even though I'm the best all around performer at the store, wearing the long sleeves in the summer time when I get so damn hot, not having any damn porters really at a very successful place

Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If you're any good, you won't stay at entry level for very long. Because of your current employment you wouldn't be coming in right at the bottom anyway.

Since you have very strong sales skills, you should be aiming for $500,000 a year by your mid- to late 30s. You can't do that in automotive sales but you can in financial services, tech services, etc.

My next door neighbor is the head of a regional sales team for a Fortune 50 tech company and he is making 7 figures or close to it. He has the personality but no particular tech knowledge - he's just an effective salesman who kept getting promoted - he's about 40 years old - lives in a $2 million house - and has money left over.

The ability to sell is the most valuable skill (in terms of money) that anyone can have.

I love how you think buddy

my problem is that I don't know how good my real sales skills are. It's so easily selling here because I work at a beautiful facility and people just come in wanting to buy. Having to "hunt" (get my own customers and make people buy) is soooooo much damn harder than what I do

I could try an industry like that and make 40K a year for all I know...also I despise cold calling

I hate to say it but car sales might be the perfect job for my skills unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment