Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 AM

306 posts, read 517,362 times

Advertisements

Well, you could also turn it into a joke;

Like if someone asks a question that you don't want to answer, just smile and in a joking/friendly manner ask them, "what, are you writing a book?" and try to just blow off the question without it looking like it really bothers you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
If you don't find a way to socially obscurely answer these questions you will become the workplace pariah. Suck it up and take one for the team by responding.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
You really find that level of information invasive? Other than salary, and perhaps student loan info, I have shared much more than that without any concern at all.

It would be socially obtuse to meet somebody and ask them a list of questions like this, but in the course of casual conversation these things are likely to come up. I don't see what the problem is.

Questions on marriage and children are so basic I am surprised anybody even mentions this as a problem. I have given people my exact address without a thought. When I was living in NY, asking about rent was almost considered a social icebreaker.

Keep this info private if you like, but avoiding the issue entirely is going to get you labeled as the weird guy.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
"Why do you ask?"

Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
In the past I've had coworkers ask

1. Are you dating/ married
2. How many children do you have
3. Where do you live (giving them the city wasn't good enough) they want cross streets
4. What does your spouse do for work
5. What type of work did your parent do
6 how much money are you making
7 how old are you
8 how much do you pay in rent/ mortgage
9 how much did you have in student loans

The only people who ask me those questions are the Indians. Americans (and people from other countries) don't ask me those kinds of questions. Like, ever. At all.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
So how do you respond to colleagues who ask personal questions at work. I know many people don't mind sharing their personal lives but I'm not one of them.

3. Where do you live (giving them the city wasn't good enough) they want cross streets
7 how old are you

Often times when these and other questions come up especially during an initial conversation with a colleague I think "none of your business" but I have yet to figure out how to politely either not respond or vaguely respond. If you are like me how have you successfully avoided colleagues who can ask a million and one questions which have nothing to do with work. How can you tell them to back off without having them turn into a workplace enemy

Please let me know any tips or suggested answers.

Please don't respond with "just get to know them" or "don't be so secretive" or the like

Thanks guys
1. Married (Why WOULDN'T I want to answer that?)
2. 2
3. I give approximate locations. Sometimes cross street if they're familiar with the area
4. The truth
5. The truth
6. No one asks me that. Even my wife doesn't know MY EXACT salary. She knows approx how much I make, and vice versa.
7. The truth
8. The truth
9. The truth.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 AM

147 posts, read 349,790 times
For gay people like myself, some of these questions can be awkward to answer.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
So how do you respond to colleagues who ask personal questions at work. I know many people don't mind sharing their personal lives but I'm not one of them.

7 how old are you

Often times when these and other questions come up especially during an initial conversation with a colleague I think "none of your business" but I have yet to figure out how to politely either not respond or vaguely respond. If you are like me how have you successfully avoided colleagues who can ask a million and one questions which have nothing to do with work. How can you tell them to back off without having them turn into a workplace enemy

Please let me know any tips or suggested answers.

Please don't respond with "just get to know them" or "don't be so secretive" or the like

Thanks guys
Those bolded are no brainers. If I had a colleague that wouldn't even make nice enough to discuss this, I'd let you sit by yourself and rot. That's not being nosy, it's being polite.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Im typically cautious of people who DONT talk about their personal lives with coworkers. You spend 40+ hours a week with these people and most likely will do so for a good chunk of your life...I wonder if these super secret people have bodys buried in their yards.....

Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Some I'll answer, some I won't. If I am not in the middle of a duty, I'll answer it then, if not I'll talk about out later because our job is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment