Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

How do you reply?

"Have you always been nosey or is something new? I can recommend a good neurologist who can diagnose sudden mental changes.. This could be a signal of an impending stroke. You should seek medical attention for this. We would hate to lose you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 AM

115 posts, read 198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im typically cautious of people who DONT talk about their personal lives with coworkers. You spend 40+ hours a week with these people and most likely will do so for a good chunk of your life...I wonder if these super secret people have bodys buried in their yards.....
See. I'm just work focused. I dnt mind talking about weather, work or popular TV shows but I don't care to discuss anything else

Old 04-20-2015, 08:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Im typically cautious of people who DONT talk about their personal lives with coworkers. You spend 40+ hours a week with these people and most likely will do so for a good chunk of your life...I wonder if these super secret people have bodys buried in their yards.....
We don't discuss this stuff with just anyone because you never know when someone will be mad enough in the office to use it against you.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
I love to talk about myself, so I'd welcome those questions and then I'd make addendums to the answers and then I'd want them to ask me more!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
What an ignorant leap in logic.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
If you don't find a way to socially obscurely answer these questions you will become the workplace pariah. Suck it up and take one for the team by responding.
Take one for what team? Is this some sort of a military action? Sheesh

Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
What an ignorant leap in logic.
Nope. My coworkers all are very social and talk about our weekend plans, vacations etc. There are a few people in the office who never talk and refuse to divulge "personal information." The general attitude is that these people are unusual and theyre hiding something. Thats just social psychology at work, plain and simple.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
We don't discuss this stuff with just anyone because you never know when someone will be mad enough in the office to use it against you.
Well you obviously dont want to divulge too much. Theres a difference in "personal" information and "sensitive" information, like your affairs.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
So, in that vein:

1. Are you dating/ married --- Haven't been technically married since 2014, but really considered myself unmarried since I moved out from him in 2009. Unfortunately, have hardly dated at all, boo! If you're cute -- how YOU doin?
2. How many children do you have - Two kids. 19 and 13.
3. Where do you live (giving them the city wasn't good enough) they want cross streets - If they seem creepy, won't give them that, might try to make it broad. "by that big freeway, over by that big store"
4. What does your spouse do for work - don't have one!
5. What type of work did your parent do - my mommy spent all her time raising me - didn't she do a great job?
6 how much money are you making - my mommy did teach me that it is not polite to discuss money - with anyone, so that, notgunnatellya, wouldn't be prudent....
7 how old are you - 47, can't you tell? I was doing a 1990s Dana Carvey/ Bush reference there above.
8 how much do you pay in rent/ mortgage - see number 6. But damn, I am paying less rent in my awesome house than I was in the apartment I was renting one year ago!
9 how much did you have in student loans - don't remember! That was 25 years ago!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
So how do you respond to colleagues who ask personal questions at work. I know many people don't mind sharing their personal lives but I'm not one of them.

In the past I've had coworkers ask

1. Are you dating/ married
2. How many children do you have
3. Where do you live (giving them the city wasn't good enough) they want cross streets
4. What does your spouse do for work
5. What type of work did your parent do
6 how much money are you making
7 how old are you
8 how much do you pay in rent/ mortgage
9 how much did you have in student loans

1-5 - These aren't major secrets, I don't understand the issue here.

6,8,9-I cant imagine a situation where these would be asked, but just say...I'd rather not share that. Or, for #6...not enough, haha. or 8 & 9...too much, haha.

7 - I would tell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment