Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM

31 posts, read 26,088 times

Advertisements

I am going on 23 years old and I graduated a 4-year liberal arts college in December studying English. Now, I am not hating on anyone studying Humanities, but now I feel regret doing that major. The reason being is that it is now going on 5 months since graduation, and I have only had 1 interview since applying for jobs prior to graduation. That's right, after going to the school's job fair, having my resume checked, interning, and etc. I only had 1 interview.

My reasoning for picking English as my major was the fact that I was always good with reading and writing and I enjoyed doing that. I thought of marketing as a good place to start career wise since my school didn't have a marketing major until my final months as a student. I had 2 marketing/communications internships with 1 being an unpaid internship at a non-profit and another for a for-profit company with a $500 stipend. At these internships, I mostly wrote press releases, did e-mail newsletters, and other tasks dealing with clients/customers/donors. These were 2 years ago, so as more times goes, they are more dated. Anyway, I started my job search prior to graduating by attending the school's job fair. I had no responses from that and I applied to at least 20-30 jobs from my school's online database since I had the best luck getting my internships that way. However, I only had 1 interview that I did not get a job for. The job wasn't even in marketing exactly but a graphic design firm looking for a project coordinator.

Now that it's nearly 6 months in post-graduation, I am starting to realize my degree is not that good to employers. I felt that I was developing critical skills needed for jobs which I do since people always tell me I do a good job at anything. However, it seems employers don't care about that and just want a mold of a person with the degree they exactly want. Reading various articles of how my major are all of a sudden the "worst" or least marketable makes me feel even worse. As if it was a waste of time. I chose marketing as a creative outlet since I was an English major and that writing is important in that field. On the other hand, now I don't feel the same passion and excitement for this field like I once did. I have also realized I would not feel comfortable as a sales rep (entry level) since I am not that good at coercing people to buy things. That route would be more ideal I think, but it just feels like torture in my mind since I am more comfortable with the writing aspect and not many move up in that realm since it is so competitive.

I have also realized that I might not want to get into marketing after all due to the disappointment. Reason being is that I lack graphic design experience (Illustrator and Photoshop) and that where I live, opportunities are far and few in-between. I do not really want to spend the money on classes and software if it isn't a good chance I will land a job with that. In this point in my life, I do not want to relocate, but build myself locally first then move. Now, I am wondering what to do since I feel like I am at a crossroads. Should I keep looking for a job in marketing or should I start thinking of another plan? I never initially had a plan when I graduated except to look for a job in marketing/communications. So far, that has not worked out.

Now, I am thinking of 3 possible options: 1) Switch gears and focus on jobs based on writing. 2) Keep looking for marketing jobs. 3) Go back to community college and get a certificate in something marketable and something where I am more likely to get a job. (Not sure what if I chose this route, but I would choose something I can enjoy) 4). Any advice or stories that are similar to mine? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
I'm curious, when you say apply for marketing jobs, what jobs are these? I'm not in that field but I always thought marketing was something you "came" to do, not "go into". Like someone would apply for a sales job, eventually working their way into marketing the product once they got good at selling it. Kind of like moving up the ladder. I didn't think a marketing job was "entry" level, unless you are working for a marketer (is that what they are called?) as their assistant or something

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I'm curious, when you say apply for marketing jobs, what jobs are these? I'm not in that field but I always thought marketing was something you "came" to do, not "go into". Like someone would apply for a sales job, eventually working their way into marketing the product once they got good at selling it. Kind of like moving up the ladder. I didn't think a marketing job was "entry" level, unless you are working for a marketer (is that what they are called?) as their assistant or something
Yep that's exactly what it is. Unfortunately, I didn't know that previously. That's why I am saying a sales job leading to a promotion is a very small chance. I know that due to the career fair and asking about their marketing department. Either they where out of state or the turnover rate is so low that there is a very small chance of promotion. It all makes sense now.

A marketing job can be entry level at a huge corporation (which I have seen for many job posts).

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourishingButterfly View Post
I am going on 23 years old and I graduated a 4-year liberal arts college in December studying English. Now, I am not hating on anyone studying Humanities, but now I feel regret doing that major. The reason being is that it is now going on 5 months since graduation, and I have only had 1 interview since applying for jobs prior to graduation. That's right, after going to the school's job fair, having my resume checked, interning, and etc. I only had 1 interview.
Today's economy is not kind to lib arts graduates. The last of the entry level mgt trainee jobs went offshore along with their core industries, back in the 90s.

Do yourself a favor: try to join the Air Force or Navy. At a minimum, you'll have three hots and a cot while learning something that is perceived to be more useful in the new economic order. Air Force and Navy are heavily technical. Plus, the Armed Forces placement test, the ASVAB, will give you a clear understanding about where your strengths and weaknesses lie. It's been validated with tens of millions of recruits over sixty years - it is a pretty darn good predictor.

That's important. I was also a lib arts undergrad back when there WERE management trainee jobs worth the effort. Now I'm an engineer. Wish I'd known when I was 17 that there was an engineer lurking down there, somewhere! Lol.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Today's economy is not kind to lib arts graduates. The last of the entry level mgt trainee jobs went offshore along with their core industries, back in the 90s.

Do yourself a favor: try to join the Air Force or Navy. At a minimum, you'll have three hots and a cot while learning something that is perceived to be more useful in the new economic order. Air Force and Navy are heavily technical. Plus, the Armed Forces placement test, the ASVAB, will give you a clear understanding about where your strengths and weaknesses lie. It's been validated with tens of millions of recruits over sixty years - it is a pretty darn good predictor.

That's important. I was also a lib arts undergrad back when there WERE management trainee jobs worth the effort. Now I'm an engineer. Wish I'd known when I was 17 that there was an engineer lurking down there, somewhere! Lol.

Best of luck to you!
The military is my last resort. I was pressured to join the military after being in JROTC in high school, but I was never interested in joining. Joining is something you have to be sure about and willing to sign your life over for. I was never wanting to do that hence why there is not an option for that above.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
Do you think that 6 months is really a long time to be looking? Maybe it's not for a new graduate.

One suggestion: have you thought about looking at non-profit organizations? Most don't pay a fabulous salary, but something you can live on plus health insurance. You can end up doing something really satisfying. It could be a stepping stone to a better job down the road. I worked at a disability rights and advocacy organization. At a non-profit they would definitely value marketing but not require a degree.

Think about what you are interested in/passionate about; there are non-profit organizations involved in animal welfare, medical conditions, the environment, education, etc. In my community there are literally hundreds of such organizations.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:39 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I wouldn't worry about it now. You're only 23?? You'll probably end up changing careers paths 4-5 times at least in the next 20 years.

I graduated at 23, 7 years ago with a degree in English and have had 2 different career changes already.

Chances are, you will end up with a career in something totally unrelated to your major. Just get you're foot in the door at some place and go from there. You have a bachelor's degree so you will be fine in the long run.

You're too young to worry about it anyways.. Unless you did something stupid like get married, buy a home and have kids already

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I wouldn't worry about it now. You're only 23?? You'll probably end up changing careers paths 4-5 times at least in the next 20 years.

I graduated at 23, 7 years ago with a degree in English and have had 2 different career changes already.

Chances are, you will end up with a career in something totally unrelated to your major
I am really wondering what I do in the mean time. At the moment I am an Accounts Payable Admin. (Paying bills to the company's vendors and filing) @ $12 an hour.. I was aware I could end up in something unrelated to my major hence me interning in marketing/communications.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourishingButterfly View Post
I am really wondering what I do in the mean time. At the moment I am an Accounts Payable Admin. (Paying bills to the company's vendors and filing) @ $12 an hour.. I was aware I could end up in something unrelated to my major hence me interning in marketing/communications.

Keep gaining knowledge where you are at and getting experience.. And along with you're degree you'll be fine.

You could always go to grad school as well. I regret not doing that. After a few years of the corporate hell holes, you begin to miss school

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Keep gaining knowledge where you are at and getting experience.. And along with you're degree you'll be fine.

You could always go to grad school as well.
Now that my position is full time, I don't have much time to do anything else. There is a marketing manager here, but she doesn't seem that helpful. I mean, she only let me enter e-mails into excel from events but that was it since marketing isn't actually my job right now. She gave me like 6-8 bags full of names I haven't even gotten to since I am busy due to a new store opening with the company I work for. So, whenever I am done with that I can get to it. However, it is known that she's very bossy and basks in her own work to always get credit. I have also noticed this with my own observations as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment