Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy in your career?
Yes 20 47.62%
No 22 52.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if you are happy in your present careers?

If not, what would you like to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
No- I have a boring, mindless state job.

I sometimes feel guilty for complaining because it seems to be what a lot of people would kill for. I only work M-F and I can work 8-4 or 9-5 or 7:30-3:30, whatever I want. I have lots of vacation, lots of flexibility, 60K salary, excellent benefits, pension, I honestly don't do too much either...

BUT, the thought of sitting here doing nothing for 20 more years makes me suicidal. Plus, I would like to make more money. So, over the last few years I became an RN (while still working here, told you it was flexible lol) and I am now starting grad school to be a nurse practitioner. I am hoping that this new career will offer me more intellectual stimulation, a higher salary, more opportunities and whatever else it is I am missing. If not, I guess I will always regret leaving my security blanket here...lol

Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
I am 26, 2-3 years removed from school, in a pretty boring Corporate Tax job with a lot of room for advancement with the company. I started a little over a month ago and am making $54K a year. The company is flexible, good benefits, pension, etc. like the above poster.

But like the above poster again, this is not something I want to do for 20+ years. I am going for my Masters in the upcoming fall, and would like to get my CPA just so I have more opportunities within my own company or with a new company in the future.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I am 28 and much like the two others - make around $60k for a software company. I don't dislike my job, and am "satisfied," but solely from the money front and having good colleagues.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM

249 posts, read 424,803 times
Yes. Age 38; live in a very safe, civilized international city; great boss, non-stressful job; salary ($50k) isn't very high by the standards of NYC (where I was born) but it's certainly nothing to complain about.

I work the graveyard shift and have a week off every four weeks as compensation for the odd hours. And there's almost no overtime! The only negatives are having to sleep in the middle of the day, when people are making noise, and having to split off from friends all the time because I have to leave for work. And my partner would prefer that I go to sleep as the same time as she does. But all in all, I can't really complain!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
No. Stuck in a position that I have struggled to get out of and have long outgrown, living in an area with few alternatives in my field. I've seemingly reached the stage of being seriously considered for out of state positions, but have always come up short.

What would I change? I have a good field/job, I'm just with the wrong company for it. A company that refuses to take advantage of it. So, my employer is the biggest change needed. Change of location may or may not be required.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:17 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am 28 and much like the two others - make around $60k for a software company. I don't dislike my job, and am "satisfied," but solely from the money front and having good colleagues.
I'm also 28, around the same salary range at an engineering firm.
I enjoy my job, but to say I'm satisfied would be a lie. I am eager to move up and do more. The money is decent, my colleagues are great, the work is interesting.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
I am currently happy with where I am, but since I am relatively new in my career, I plan to move up within the next few years.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
I am a disgruntled and unmotivated computer programmer at a company called Initech. I sit in a cubicle and I update bank software. I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Also, I have eight different bosses right now. That means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
I'm very depressed and unmotivated at the non-profit I currently work at. The work is soulless and I don't believe in the mission of the organization I work for anymore. I'm applying for jobs, but it appears that I'm overqualified for most, or my MA degree is scaring them off. I'll find something eventually, but every day I go into that place, a little piece of me withers away. I hate feeling like this, but it won't be too much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment