Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM

256 posts, read 462,862 times

Advertisements

Most of the 6 figure jobs will make you work really hard (except entry level management) and you mostly will not have traditional work environment. You may not like your co-workers, you may not like the the hours or you may not enjoy the stress but it is the trade for nice salary and amazing benefits.

I have a very sweet salary and amazing benefits but I work at least 65 hours per week including weekends. I have very competitive co-workers so I also have to develop my skills on my free time. The projects have very tight deadlines and it can be extremely stressful. However, I believe that my work makes impact on others life so it makes me feel satisfied about my career.

You need to figure out what you want in your career? Money? Healthy work life balance? Great Co-Workers? Easy job with a decent salary (Possible option)? or Being Executive? If you want to make money or being an executive level leader then your work is probably your life and you will work hard all the time. Or like my older brother you can have a nice job with great co-workers and amazing work life balance. He will never reach a certain income but he really enjoys his life. He was never a money person and he adjusts his needs based on his salary. He is wealthy but not extremely wealthy. He will always do alright in his life but will not have the luxury staff which is fine with him. It all depends what you want to achieve...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM

186 posts, read 427,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Do you really hate the job or did you just find out you can get enough unemployment to pay your bills and not have to work?

I doubt any company will terminate you because you don't like it. They will let you resign, because then they don't pay unemployment.
Or, they will try to make it really uncomfortable for you.

It sounds like you just started this job...that's a pretty good starting salary. I would suggest sucking it up and be happy that you have a job that pays well. Most people HATE their jobs...most people daydream about being someplace else. It's called work for a reason...unless you are in a really bad situation it's not wise to try to make yourself look bad.

Based on all of the below it sounds like you don't have a grasp of what you're even doing. Do you mind if I ask what type of work it is?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I would suck it up at least for awhile at this pay rate.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc06 View Post
So I am on my new job and I don't like the environment. The work/balance is not that good and my co-workers are not that friendly. The only reason I'm still here is because my salary is 120k and I need to pay bills. But If I filed for unemployment I still get to pay my bills ($640 weekly) until I find a job that I look forward to.

I don't know if my mindset is wrong. I think I'm suppose to like my job, not hate it. or is it all about the money?

My friends tell me, for that salary, I should just work, and shut up. What you guys think?
The bolded talks about the environment, but doesn't say anything about your actual job/career. Is your mindset wrong? That's not really for anyone to say but you. I don't think anyone should have to "suffer" through their job. If you don't like it, then switch companies. That said - you also need to do some career planning so that you don't repeat the above.

Should you just shut up and work? I'd say that depends. If you are 59, and can retire in a few years. Yea, probably. If you are 29, you're better off sitting down and figure out what you need to do in order to make yourself happier.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 25,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The bolded talks about the environment, but doesn't say anything about your actual job/career. Is your mindset wrong? That's not really for anyone to say but you. I don't think anyone should have to "suffer" through their job. If you don't like it, then switch companies. That said - you also need to do some career planning so that you don't repeat the above.

Should you just shut up and work? I'd say that depends. If you are 59, and can retire in a few years. Yea, probably. If you are 29, you're better off sitting down and figure out what you need to do in order to make yourself happier.
I'm 26, thanks for the advise. I love my career which is digital marketing (SEM, SEO) Growth hacker in tech words.

Last edited by jasonc06; 04-21-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
growth hacker is always gonna be a psycho job with weird co workers and crazy hours.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
In another thread you stated you got fired on April 9th, is this a new job or did you really not get fired?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
In another thread you stated you got fired on April 9th, is this a new job or did you really not get fired?
I mentioned I thought I was going to be terminated but the meeting was just to change my title.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
So you got on c-d and started a thread stating you were fired, but now you say you only thought you were going to be fired?

Are you sure you're 26 making that kind of money at a job you hate?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Never mind, I already got the advise I needed. Is amazing here. People prefer to go back in my profile..and keep repeating something I already clarified, instead of giving a simple advise. Thanks for the ones that did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment