Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM

733 posts, read 853,307 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have seen some do it, and a few succeed. I hope you do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:56 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Before I started my commercial service Business I was in construction for 26 yrs. I took a few jobs trying to work for someone else. Glad that didn't happen. Just the other day I told my son I should of started a handyman service. I'm sure you got most of the basic tools. With your background you will have lots of people that can call you since you will not be just a one trick pony. Get your LLC and any local license you need. Get any needed insurance as well. Knock on doors in the better neighborhoods and mail out post cards or broachers. Best thing I did was do the web site for my business. Most people today use goggle not the yellow pages. I spend very little for my site yet it brings in business. run a free add on craigs list as well. Give yourself a year to see if this is what you want. If so expand with another truck, then another. Soon you will be sitting in the office spending most of your day wondering where your going to lunch. People like to make it hard its not. Most of the stuff is trail and error. In three years my company was grossing 350-400K, If you want to build a 100 million corporation that's another book.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 4,535 times
You have the experience in both fields. I agree with the one poster that suggest to contact realtors and aparment complexes. Put in bids with the government when the post ads for contractors. Stick small. You do not have to take credit/debit cards right at this time. You need to get customers and do a good job. The rest will work out. Find someone that is good in bookkeeping/accounting and a good lawyer. If you need them. Keep all of your receipts and invoices. You do not even need to buy software for that their are free programs or the good old paper route. Anyway you put it start small and do not get discouraged because people say you will fail. You go to fail to be able to grow.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Best time to start a business is when you are employed and doing it on the side not when you have no income coming in at all.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I would say to go for it. You have a lot of experience and that is more than a lot of people have.

You aren't talking about starting something that risky like a bar or restaurant.

I had read that many businesses were started during recessions or times when it is hard for people to find work.

From craigslist alone you should be able to get a lot of leads. I've heard of some people that only advertise on craigslist.
I would try that for your type of business first before doing google ads. I think networking with the landlords could be good.
Another thing you might want to try is to network with real estate investors in your area. They are always looking for quality people that can do a good job. Some of them might have multiple projects going on too.

Home Depot has a service called Red Beacon for home repairs , that could be a good source of leads too.

Getting listed on Angieslist and services like that too would be good.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Yes, and a lot of good resources to guide you are available on the Small Business Administration website, the IRS, and your local SBA county office. I even went to some free workshops there.

I am now doing contract work and loving the independence.

Marketing is the toughest part. Check out Vistaprint.com for some great resources.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Do but if and only if you have a lot of cash. I admire the might but you do need more than that. You NEED a niche that isn't being served and a legitimate problem to solve with you business proposition. Just because you have skills, don't mean people will just come to you.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 AM

36 posts, read 51,387 times
It takes a lot of time to actually build a successful business . It can be really tricky, especially if your savings budget is not really high. Starting a business just because you're desperate and can't find a job, won't do you any good.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
You might find this interesting

Laid Off? Want to Start a Business? At Last, Uncle Sam Gets a Clue - Forbes

This could be inspiring to read..just read it briefly
Layoffs: 4 People Who Are Happy They Got Fired | The Fiscal Times

If you google the term "laid off start a business" you'll find similar types of articles and info too.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 AM

305 posts, read 724,057 times
If the OP can't find another job, what choice does he have? I have considered starting a business because going out to interviews empty handed is costing me more money than I could have made, plus it's becoming a waste of time if employers don't call you back post interview. It's either get income or be on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment