Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I've seen this man various times at the gym and I know he's a headhunter for engineers (traditional types: electrical, mechanical, etc). It seems as if he works for a recruiting firm instead of working as an internal corporate recruiter.

He said he recommended that someone stay in their first role for at least five years, and that they probably don't have a good idea of what they are doing until two years in.

I disagreed. I never held a professional job until my latest role and staying in those jobs for five years would have led to five years of measly raises with perhaps being transferred internally in a call center directorate. By leaving and going into a better company and a professional role, my compensation has gone up nearly 250% since 1/1/2014. While this advice might work for his industry, it wouldn't have worked for me.

He seemed to frame it as more of a competence issue than a job hopping problem. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
For engineering and the sciences as well job hopping is a factor in cross-training. Once you reach fully competency in your job and feel you are stagnating it might be wise to move on. On the other hand if you find a great company or get a fed job and know most of the others are crappy and less stable (such as my case) I just stay as long as possible.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
He seemed to frame it as more of a competence issue than a job hopping problem. Do you agree?

I'm in engineering, and I would personally agree with the recruiter here.

First job, 4-5+ years just to gain the experience. Usually at that point, the company should promote you to a higher position, or you should begin to look elsewhere. But I feel that 5 years on a resume is healthy enough to apply for another job.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-22-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 AM

256 posts, read 462,862 times
To be honest, if you are an engineer and do not get promoted to a higher position in 5 years then something is either wrong with you or your company. I kinda understand staying in the same company but staying in the same role for 5 years is crazy!!! You need advancement in your career.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I disagreed. I never held a professional job until my latest role...Do you agree?
I doubt that he meant stay 5 years in a call center.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I doubt that he meant stay 5 years in a call center.
No but a lot of people offered similar guidance even when I was working in a call center.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
I agree with the 5 years mark but all of this stems from the "myth" that it takes 10,000 hours to master any skill. 10,000 hours to master playing a piano, master a language, etc.

At a normal 40 hour work week, it comes out to about 5 years of work experience. So recruiters want 5 years experience since they want someone that has "mastered" that set of skills.

You don't need to have 5 years at the same place, just 5 years doing that job/staying in same field and not jumping around. IE: 1 year as a pizza delivery driver, 1 year as a car mechanic, 1 year as car washer, 1 year changing tires, and 1 year selling cars doesn't make you a professional on cars But 5 years doing any of those things, you can become a professional driver, mechanic, salesman, etc.

So for the first few years of working life, you have "jobs" that build up experience, then you become a professional in that area and began working a "career"

though some people can do the same mistake 10,000 times and be no better than when they started, but most people learn from mistakes, have people correct them and generally are wise enough to listen to other people when offered advice/help

Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Depending on the engineering specialty - it takes about 5 years to get your license. I would assume that is the correlation the recruiter was making.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
I've seen this man various times at the gym and I know he's a headhunter for engineers (traditional types: electrical, mechanical, etc). It seems as if he works for a recruiting firm instead of working as an internal corporate recruiter.

He said he recommended that someone stay in their first role for at least five years, and that they probably don't have a good idea of what they are doing until two years in.

I disagreed. I never held a professional job until my latest role and staying in those jobs for five years would have led to five years of measly raises with perhaps being transferred internally in a call center directorate. By leaving and going into a better company and a professional role, my compensation has gone up nearly 250% since 1/1/2014. While this advice might work for his industry, it wouldn't have worked for me.

Just a recommendation. I'm sure he has his experience to back it up. Does that mean this is the 'golden rule' of career building? Nope. As you said, your experience differed. But that doesn't mean your experience is the standard either.

In essence, there is really no standard. Or that what works will depend on various factors. I've never liked using time as a factor (albeit I still use it). You take two people and give them 5 years. Based on their personality, competence, motivation, etc., you can have two very different workers at the end of that time period.

Thus - I disagree with his opinion. But it doesn't mean he's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment