Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

My daughter-in-law works in the convention industry. She says they are always looking for designers with CAD experience but have a hard time finding them. She also said the designers get paid very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

143 posts, read 221,876 times
Just go to med school.. you will thank yourself later on, that you made that choice. There is no job out there that is really recession proof with the exception of being a doctor.

I am an Engineer, working for about 10 years in my field and thinking about leaving this field as well. If there was something i would tell my younger self was to be a doctor.

Rising and aging population only means demand for doctors will increase. The rest of the jobs will be outsourced, made temporary or automated.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
This is a popular myth, often repeated, but not true. I am a health care administrator. I started as a floor nurse. You cannot obtain a nursing administration position without experience, exemplary job performance, and, in most cases, an advanced degree. There are many options in nursing, but you need experience and higher education for most of them. Some options might be industrial nursing or insurance. While you will have stress and responsibility, it is less than most direct care scenarios. I think you will find higher compensation directly correlates to responsibility.

Many times workers have no understanding of the facets of a higher position. It is often stated that the "boss" does nothing but drink coffee, eat doughnuts, and pick on the humble worker. Most often, this lacks veracity. If you are worried about being responsible for the lives of others, do not pursue nursing administration.
+1 on that. I'm in health admin as well. Currently in nursing admin to be specific. I'm not a nurse however and haven't done clinical care. I'm on the data side of things - nurses love me. I do have years of experience in healthcare and working with nursing, doctors, etc.

OP, you have it right, doesn't sound like clinical nursing is for you. Since you are flexible, do yourself a favor and look into actuarial work. High income potential, very flexible degree and training. You can work in various places doing various things. Actuaries have been, are, and will continue to be in high demand. So why aren't more people actuaries? It's challenging.

I'm getting old and doing well now and have little regrets but if I had to do things all over again, I would have targeted either actuary or pathologist (because I am fascinated by weird stuff). If you can handle actuarial science, go with it. There are bunches of certification tests, you can look at sample questions on line to get a taste - it's analytical logic and probability statistics type stuff.

Other than that, I would consider anything on the professional level having to do with taxes. Sure, the mkt is said to be saturated with lawyers and maybe accountants but if you are a good tax attorney, you can do very well.

Best of luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM

60 posts, read 142,872 times
I'm sure nursing administration isn't as glamorous as people make it seem but I don't really care about being the boss.
I agree that medical school is probably the best chpice but I don't want to get into that much debt for a career I would hate.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM

I think I would really enjoy actuarial work because I am very analytical. Unfortunately, I'm almost done with college and it's too late to change my major to somethung math related.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
I've been looking at some options for a career since I'm going to be graduating with my bsn in December but I hate nursing. However, it seems like every field is saturated. I've read that law, pharmacy, engineering, computer science, nursing, accounting are all saturated. It seems like the only choice you have if you want a stable, well-paying career is to go to medical school. I know this sounds desperate but I really don't know what to do. Im 20 with no school loans or debt, a decent GPA, good gre score, and some volunteer and work experience. I just want to find a field where I have a chance at a career that makes enough for mediocre middle class existence.
What do you see as being your skills and strengths? The fields that you listed do not require the same skill set.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM

I'm good at reading and math. I get good feedback on my papers so I think I write pretty well. I did technical support for Apple so I'm not bad with technology but I don't have enough experience to say I'm good at it. I'm not a great communicator when it comes to small talk and social events but I am good at public speaking. I think my greatest strenghs are organization, scheduling, time management, and things like that but those are just life skills everybody has and they're not applicable to a career.
Outside of sports, I've done pretty well at most everything I've tried which is why I think I'm having trouble finding a career. My mom is from the Caribbean and she always stressed excellence in school and has always told me that a high paying career is the most important thing. I believed that until I came to college and started supporting myself and my views have changed. I really don't care much for a career because my dream is just to be a mom and I see a career as interfering with that. However, I know I need one.
Thank you to everyone who has responded. I know this is kinda just a big whine fest but I'm just thankful to get some type of feedback. My schools's career office is useless and I'm so confused and scared for the future.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Try to look for jobs that aren't direct patient care. It might work for you as a temporary solution. W/ your BSN, even though a new grad you might be able to find a more office type of nursing job. That might hold you until you can figure out what you really want. Give it some time and patience. You have years ahead of you!! Good luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
Pharmaceutical companies also look for nurses, often with a BSN, to do sales/clinical training. They usually pay well and you get to travel a lot, not only for your job tasks but to attend meetings, conferences, etc.

Pharmaceutical Company Directory - Drugs.com

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
I've been looking at some options for a career since I'm going to be graduating with my bsn in December but I hate nursing. However, it seems like every field is saturated. I've read that law, pharmacy, engineering, computer science, nursing, accounting are all saturated. It seems like the only choice you have if you want a stable, well-paying career is to go to medical school. I know this sounds desperate but I really don't know what to do. Im 20 with no school loans or debt, a decent GPA, good gre score, and some volunteer and work experience. I just want to find a field where I have a chance at a career that makes enough for mediocre middle class existence.
Pipe welder. Hobart Academy of welding has a good program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment