Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

When people aren't making progress in their careers, or even in life in general, they either recognize it and work to improve, or blame everyone else. You're talking to the blame everyone else crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Whatever. I think HR is quickly overtaking used car salesman, lawyers, and politicians for most disliked profession and given my and most other people's experiences with them it is no wonder.

As for evil lying and inept managers I'm quite happy with my current company. It is a smaller company and they hire and promote and give bonuses based on merit and treat their employees well and as a result we have almost no turnover only two to be SAHM's. We don't whine about talent shortages or lobby the govt for H1b's of have dead weight inept employees dragging us down and poisoning morale. I have only been here a little under 3 years and have two awards on my shelf.

OTOH my job at Pepsi was exactly what I expect from big corporate America. Layers upon layers of managers looking for ways to save a buck short term by messing with workers, uppity HR involved in hiring for positions they know nothing about and implementing crazy programs that select for BS, politics and nepotism abounds, poor morale, high turnover (over half the department in the time I was there), good workers demoralized and tired of being abused and picking up the slack of the above hiring policies etc. Complete and udder dysfunction and I notice they and other such corporations are the ones whining about issues with talent.

As for the majority of people laughing hysterically, no just pathetic corporate shills like you, and the fact that you come here to laugh and belittle others speaks volumes about you and I can definitely envision the type of manager you are. Glad I don't work for you or someone like you.
You are barking up the wrong tree. MP1 is extremely fair in all of his posts. You are just so bitter you can't see it. You would poison any workplace - it oozes through the screen.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
TMK, GOES/NEXUS isn't nearly as intrusive for references as a "real" Federal background check.
The fact that ALL of your fingerprints belong to the government simply so you can get on a plane without taking your shoes off? Yeah, I'd call that quite intrusive. Felt like I was being booked into prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Honestly? You think that when somebody complains about having to come up with a dozen friends and coworkers contact information so the Feds can subject them to an hour-long in-person interview means you "have something to hide"?
I stand by what I said.

I've been on interview sessions running for 3 hours.
I've had to submit numerous references for jobs.
Been forced to drive many miles to different locations for interviews with different people (this was before the real rise of video conferencing).
Made to give up hair samples for testing...mind you, at the time I kept my head shaved. Fortunately I wasn't shaving my armpits at the time, because the guy was right ready to tell me to drop trou.

You want to tell ME about intrusive?

I mean give me a break. MoneyTree alone requires 5 references. Rent-A-Center requires 6 if I recall. Most companies want 10 years of job history. Passports? Don't even get me started.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Amen, mochamajesty. MPowering's post are always cordial, informative, and to the point.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Well I make sure I keep in touch with all my references since I plan to transition to another opportunity a few years from now. You stay in contact with references through social media and email communication to avoid losing contact. Plus you will develop new references in addition to your current ones as you move further in your field.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen, mochamajesty. MPowering's post are always cordial, informative, and to the point.
MPowering is out of touch with reality and thinks that her principles are applicable to EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME. I have proven her wrong on numerous examples of how not following her principles has worked well throughout my career (i.e. changing jobs often to get pay increases, not sending thank you notes, not needing cover letters, using recruiters instead of networking, etc.). My ways have worked perfectly fine for my career, but she can't seem to accept that.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Thank you MochaMajesty and BobNJ1960 for the kind words. I appreciate them.

And Nep, your posts speak for themselves and based on this post, it's clear you don't even pay attention. And I'm positive you won't even get what I'm saying.

If c-d posters were given the choice between taking advice from you and taking it from almost anyone else, I'm fairly certain 'almost anyone else' would win.

And if they were given the choice between taking advice from you or taking it from me, I know I'd win.

Put some mileage on those shoes before you proclaim yourself to be an expert. I'm not the one posting that I can't get a job, job hunting has finally come to haunt me, or questioning whether or not I have a good work ethic.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
MPowering is out of touch with reality and thinks that her principles are applicable to EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME. I have proven her wrong on numerous examples of how not following her principles has worked well throughout my career (i.e. changing jobs often to get pay increases, not sending thank you notes, not needing cover letters, using recruiters instead of networking, etc.). My ways have worked perfectly fine for my career, but she can't seem to accept that.

Then I guess a large portion of the population who share those same principles are out of touch as well? Funny that those of us who have been successful (and oddly enough AREN'T the ones starting these kinds of threads complaining about how everyone is against us) share in these principles. They're core principles of a successful person. Unfortunately, many on C-D choose to ignore those because they feel more self-righteous playing the victim.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think the references system has a lot of flaws.

First, employers generally want primarily or only the references from a prior supervisor. You can't use your current supervisor or you may be out of a job. When I leave a company, I leave for a reason. I don't typically keep in contact with management at prior employers. I've added most of my former management to LinkedIn, but I don't keep in contact with them regularly. Some probably don't even remember me.

Second, the reference may not be able to say what the new employer demands. They may only be able to give out very generic information, whereas the prospective employer wants a real reference and detailed information. The reference may be vague, ambiguous, or insufficient.

Third, because you left the employer, the reference may remain dissatisfied about your departure, and not give out truthful information.

Fourth, references can often be hard to contact. I ran into this while being considered for my current position because references from two prior employers had either left the company themselves or were otherwise unreachable.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Naw, MP is one of the most grounded, reality based posters on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment