Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:28 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
are you referring to a new applicant tracking system or just refining the one you already have?...I work for one of the premier ATS providers in the industry and would be happy to show you some of the things we offer.

Feel free to PM me if you are.
Oh, thanks, but no thanks. We have a tracking system and we're happy with it. I'm just talking about the entire application process from beginning to end. We want any applicant to walk away thinking, "I may have not gotten the job, but what a great experience. Good job XYZ Company!"

Thanks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion&business101 View Post
The biggest pain in my rear that has caused me to literally forfeit applying and x-ing out of the page is when I've uploaded my resume and I am still expected to MANUALLY fill out the things ALREADY covered in my resume. Some applicant tracking systems can successfully extract data, but not all. I don't see the point in uploading my resume if I'm going to have to manually do it all again any way.

I think it would be great for these applicant tracking systems to have automated rejection letters. As soon as a candidate is chosen (and it could even give them an option to choose their top 3 candidates), then all others who submitted through the system get a rejection letter. Or even if it had to flexibility that at multiple rounds/stages, rejection letter is given.

Would also be nice if they had a feature like LinkedIn that will tell you based on keywords/phrases in your application, how close of a match you are to the job itself/how you stand against other applicants.
Great feedback. Thank you. I'm not sure how our system works, but I agree, it is nice to even get that "thanks, but you don't qualify" notice so you know you're out of the running versus hoping and waiting.

I don't know how much we use keywords, but I do like that idea too. Our volume isn't so high that our system immediately declines people.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
The biggest pain in my rear that has caused me to literally forfeit applying and x-ing out of the page is when I've uploaded my resume and I am still expected to MANUALLY fill out the things ALREADY covered in my resume. Some applicant tracking systems can successfully extract data, but not all. I don't see the point in uploading my resume if I'm going to have to manually do it all again any way.

This

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
- Extract my info from my resume correctly
- Have a good job description w/o your internal acronyms
- List salary range
- When you are no longer accepting applications, stop accepting them
- When the job has been filled, remove them from the listing
- If I come for a f2f interview, let me know whether I got the job as soon as a decision has been made
- Don't ask me for all supplemental info (SS#, background check consent, credit check consent, etc) until you are ready to hire me
- try to make a decision within three or less rounds of interviews; cram as many people as you need in each round

Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
- Extract my info from my resume correctly
- Have a good job description w/o your internal acronyms
- List salary range
- When you are no longer accepting applications, stop accepting them
- When the job has been filled, remove them from the listing
- If I come for a f2f interview, let me know whether I got the job as soon as a decision has been made
- Don't ask me for all supplemental info (SS#, background check consent, credit check consent, etc) until you are ready to hire me
- try to make a decision within three or less rounds of interviews; cram as many people as you need in each round
Thanks! These are definitely on my list too. Especially the supplemental info and how many rounds they have.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
To make the job seeking experience less irritating for those trying to get back into the workforce, your organization can do the things below.

1. Create a way for applicants to upload their resume and click send for open positions

2. List the person and their email address next to each open position on the website

3. Eliminate the ATS to cut down on the time it takes to apply to jobs

4. Create a way for applicants to click on the open position so they can see the job description and person who to email the resume to directly.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Here is how I would describe my ideal system. Not sure how big or small your organization is so this may or not be feasible, but here is my (realistic) ideal:

-Job posting contains the name of the company, a short blurb about their mission, enough information about the opening that I could have a reasonable idea of how the employee will be spending their time, and a general salary range for the position.

-Ad includes a link to a straightforward application page where the applicant can attach a resume, a cover letter, and any supporting documentation if necessary. There is nothing else to fill out; simply select the opening you are interested in, upload your materials, and that's it. Ideally this page would confirm that the upload was successful, maybe with something like this:
Resume [upload button] Complete [green font] [File name]
Cover Letter [upload button] Missing [red font] [Blank for file name]

-Once you finish your uploads, you are prompted to create a login with which to check your application status. Statuses would be something like complete, retrieved, pending, and not selected. An auto-email goes out to thank you for your application and offers a generic HR email address for questions or concerns.

-Keep applicants informed about the status of the hiring process. If they are out of the running, let them know. If you have been in contact about a timeline and there is a major delay, let them know. On that note, don't offer artificially short timelines. Managed expectations breed happy constituents; it's fine to tell an interviewee that it will take 6 weeks to finalize a decision, but it's less fine to tell them you will have an answer by tomorrow/Friday/next week and then proceed to take 6 weeks to decide.

-When you do interviews, try to respect their time and yours. It is fine to have multiple rounds of interviews if it's adding something meaningful to the process, but don't drag things out just to drag them out. Try to be as flexible as possible with interview times, both in person and phone screens. Schedule both well in advance; don't be one of those companies that calls and asks if this would be a good time for a phone interview. Applicants will agree so as not to get left behind, but catching them by surprise doesn't do any favors to either you or them.

-If rejected applicants request feedback, provide it whenever you are able. It can be a real help, particularly to a young applicant, to explain that you are looking for someone with Skill X or Experience Y.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:17 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Wow, what a great post!

First, I would like the job description to be as complete as possible as to what the job will entail, what experience and education is required, and a very narrow range as to what the salary will be.

Second, I would like a response to my application or resume no more than two weeks after I complete it or mail it off.

Third, when I interview, I would want the person to whom I would report to be there (as well as someone from HR or Personnel).

Fourth, I would like to know not more than one week after I interview whether or not I am still in the running.

Fifth, I would not want to wait more than two weeks after interviewing to know whether or not I got the job, and if so, to receive a firm offer at that time.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Much of what itz posted is spot on.

To add a bit:

1) If you are no longer recruiting for the job, please take the posting down- I would rather not waste 20-30 minutes however much time on a job that has been filled.

2) Is there anyway where I don't have to reenter everything verbatim from my resume, even though I uploaded my resume previously. Why do I have to repeat job history, contact info etc... if the resume has been already uploaded?

3) If you know for certain that X candidate is no longer in the running for the position, can you please notify the candidate right away. I.e... I interview for a job, the interviewer tells me that in 2 weeks time I should not if I am going forward, yet 3 days later they know for sure that I am no longer a candidate for the position- instead of informing me that the end of 2 weeks, they can inform me right away, right as soon as they know they no longer want to pursue me as a candidate.

4) More of a personal thing instead of a job application issue, but I have to ask. "I can't get hired because I don't have experience, yet how can I get experience if no one will hire me?" - why does this still exists? Why is "entry level", 2-3 years of experience and prefer a degree in X?" Are companies too reluctant to invest in the work force today? Is the job so complex that for certain you will only hire a person with a degree in X as opposed to hiring someone with a degree in Y and training him/her to do the job?

Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:

I think it would be great for these applicant tracking systems to have automated rejection letters. As soon as a candidate is chosen (and it could even give them an option to choose their top 3 candidates), then all others who submitted through the system get a rejection letter. Or even if it had to flexibility that at multiple rounds/stages, rejection letter is given.

Would also be nice if they had a feature like LinkedIn that will tell you based on keywords/phrases in your application, how close of a match you are to the job itself/how you stand against other applicants.
This x 1000. Perhaps you can explain why so many companies do this! If you have my resume, why do I need to manually enter everything as well? Drives me nuts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment