Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM

461 posts, read 506,584 times

Advertisements

I realize there are other threads that have answered this question. However, my situation is different and that is why I put Part 2. I loved my job and the company I worked for. There was room for growth if I wanted it, the pay was adequeate, commute acceptable etc... The reason I left was due to problems with the new boss and new supervisor. The new boss came in with a chip on her shoulder toward me and some of the long time co-workers. I had been at the company for 18 months with a stellar record when she took over. I tried to work with her for the past six months, thinking it would improve but it did not and I was written up to the point that I had to quit or be fired.
I am applying for the same job with other agencies. I dread the question why did you leave your job. What can I say, when I was completely happy there except for the boss and supervisor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM

29,473 posts, read 22,487,125 times
I have read multiple articles on how to deal with this one interview question, "Why did you leave your job," and not one of them ever advised to say anything negative about your previous company and management. Even if it were true.

In fact last week I read an article on the Yahoo main site about the biggest mistakes people make during interviews, and one of them was candidates speaking badly about their former employers.

And I agree, it never looks good. While I'm sure some have done so and will happily chime in that it was no problem for them, and could depend on the situation, in general never say anything negative, and spin those negatives into something softer and more positive without anyone looking bad.

As an example for my last job, they did ask why I was looking and I told them I was looking for a more challenging work environment (which was true), but the interviewers also knew the bad reputation of the company I was at, so they sort of understood other reasons I may have wanted to leave (which I left unsaid).

How To Answer 'Why Did You Leave Your Last Job?' - Forbes

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-b...-your-last-job

Quote:
First, you should never, ever be negative about your current or past employers. You have nothing to gain by being negative, and it only detracts from your presentation. Just as they say, “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,” this too exists between companies and employees. Your cultural needs and expectations can be quite different from others within any given organization. In this case, I recommend you focus your response on seeking a company with cultural dynamics that better suit you, versus blaming the company for the lack of fit.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times
Never say anything negative about previous employer. The employer is hearing only 1 side of the story. Unfair as it may seem, it will raise questions about your ability to adapt to different personalities and styles of leadership.

Play it safe. You had outgrown your job and you are seeking more opportunities.

If the new hiring manager knows your boss, you can forget about being hired. The old manager will know everything you said. If you don't bring your current boss into the conversation, you avoid the hairy situation.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM

461 posts, read 506,584 times
I have no intentions of saying anything bad about my boss, that would be career suicide. That is why I am asking what else I can say about leaving my job.... Interview tomorrow!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I have no intentions of saying anything bad about my boss, that would be career suicide. That is why I am asking what else I can say about leaving my job.... Interview tomorrow!
When asked that question you can do the things below to provide answers as to why you left the company.

1. Talk about what you learned and the skills you gained while you were there

2. Express how you want to take on the challenge of whatever job you are trying to get

3. Then explain how the skills you gained from your last job will help you in that position you are trying to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment