Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Good for you. We're all not you. Many people are uncomfortable about other religions or any religion.

The wake and funeral is really for the living. You should be kind to people while they're alive. Hearing how wonderful Aunt Marge the town drunk was at a funeral is a load of BS yet people do it all the time. Neither myself nor my husband have any idea who people were talking about at my mother-in-law's funeral. The way people talked about her made Mother Teresa look like a crack *****. It was absurd.

Funerals and wakes are for paying one's respects to the living not the dead. The dead don't know you're there. They're dead! I already have strict guidelines from my mother....no flowers....she'll be dead. She wants her flowers now while she can see and smell them. And no BS stories about how wonderful she was and the world is a greater place because of her. She's knows it's BS. I've been told to kick out anyone trash talking her like that. Oh and "Imagine" must be played preferably on a loop......I'm sure I'll be sooo sick of that damn song.

Thus the "to each his/her own".

I've said more than once you go because you respect the people involved - I said nothing about the deceased.

This is obviously a hot button for you, so carry on with all your personal anecdotes, but it's going way off topic and has nothing to do with the OP's original question at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 PM

581 posts, read 664,568 times
Op, I have never heard of anything like this. Crap like this is the main reason that I would prefer to be in business for myself.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
[quote=the_grimace;39386992]Coworker did not personally tell me about the funeral. Our manager simply thinks we should do it to pay respect to the employee.... I guess we can go for just a minute, say "I'm sorry" and slip out... but still, we both don't feel comfortable being there in the first place. I know if I had a funeral and random co-workers showed up to pay their respects to me, I would honestly be quite insulted.
quote]
Why on earth would you be insulted if someone stopped to pay their respects?? Go in .Sign the book. Be seen and leave in a matter of a very few minutes.
Now if I were the grieving person and found out my employer was offering to pay people to attend I would be quite insulted.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
I can see being asked to go to a funeral if it was a coworker who passed but not for a coworker's relative.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 AM

16,068 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Why is everyone focusing on the funeral? OP was also given another option of going to the viewing. Much simpler. As someone else said simply go, sign the guestbook, spend a few minutes expressing your condolences to the co-worker as a sign of respect for him/her, and leave. As far as it being a grandparent... I know a few oldsters who raised their grandchildren, and they were rarely referred to as parents by those grandchildren even though that was the role they took on. Granny, Nana and Pop-pop spring to mind.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
That's an awkward request. I would feel uncomfortable going, unless on the off chance I knew the family member somehow or was close to the coworker personally as well. If I wasn't close to the coworker personally, it would feel a bit invasive.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
We have been told we would be paid for our time
Just go and only stay for a few minutes just to pay your respects to the coworker. I don't get why this is a big deal. If this is a close-knit community, it's to be expected. It could not only hurt your career, but it might hurt your relationship with others in the community as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I wanted to see people's thoughts on this. A co-workers family member passed away and my manager is insisting me and my other co-worker (that I work directly with) both either attend the visitation or the service. The co-worker who is holding the funeral is from a very different department and we only work very loosely with them, so it's not like it's someone I work with everyday or what not.

Long story short, both me and my other coworker feel uncomfortable attending, feel it is inappropriate for us to attend, and feel it is inappropriate that our manager is insisting we must go. We have been told we would be paid for our time, which unfortunately blurs the lines worse. Simply put, this is a religious matter and I do not feel that we should attend. However, we are both worried that refusing to attend may hurt our careers and not be smart from a strategic standpoint. (Because career advancement is strange like that...)

What do people think about this? Will it hurt our careers if we tell our manager we will not attend the service or visitation? Personally, I am appalled we were asked to do this in the first place....
It may be that the deceased will have a religious send off, but visiting the relatives or attending the funeral is making a gesture of sympathy with the family and not a religious matter. I cannot imagine being "appalled" by your boss's request as that is a very strong word, but I would certainly find it very out of line.

If I did not know the co-worker well, I would feel the same way as you. I would not be comfortable with with doing either really.

You have not mentioned if your boss is attending. But given that you and your co-worker are not close to the family of the deceased it would seem sufficient that your boss go as a representative of the company. But I don't imagine to want to put that to him.

Given the fact that your boss has made this unusual demand in the first place, I would be afraid that if you did not comply he might hold it against you two.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't know why being religious was even introduced into the discussion by the OP. A wake, which he/she would more likely attend than a funeral, is not religious until the time when prayers are said.

But you don't decide whether or not to attend based on it being religious. Do people who feel this is an issue also stay away from weddings??
In my experience, even the wake tends to be religious. Most I have been too have had religious prayer cards, religious music playing softly in the background, and a whole lot of god bless yous. Some wakes even have prayer services for those that might be unable to attend the funeral service.

As far as the weddings go... they are religious in many cases as well. I know plenty of people who may refuse to go to a wedding in the church but then they would be ok to go to the reception. However, even some receptions can be religious.

I personally do not think it is appropriate for me to be there, and my co-worker comes from a very different cultural and religious background whom has even stronger reasons not to attend.

[quote=longneckone;39397759]
Quote:
Coworker did not personally tell me about the funeral. Our manager simply thinks we should do it to pay respect to the employee.... I guess we can go for just a minute, say "I'm sorry" and slip out... but still, we both don't feel comfortable being there in the first place. I know if I had a funeral and random co-workers showed up to pay their respects to me, I would honestly be quite insulted.
quote]
Why on earth would you be insulted if someone stopped to pay their respects?? Go in .Sign the book. Be seen and leave in a matter of a very few minutes.
Now if I were the grieving person and found out my employer was offering to pay people to attend I would be quite insulted.
I would be insulted. I would prefer not even to have funerals in my immediate family because you get all these people that come to the funeral who really don't give a rat's ass about the deceased. They come in, say all this flattering stuff about the deceased, how much they will be missed, blah blah blah, but in reality they never cared or spent time with the person while they were still alive. Funerals for should be for those truly cared about the person, but you get lots of people who attend who never even knew the person blathering about how great they were.... It's insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It may be that the deceased will have a religious send off, but visiting the relatives or attending the funeral is making a gesture of sympathy with the family and not a religious matter. I cannot imagine being "appalled" by your boss's request as that is a very strong word, but I would certainly find it very out of line.

If I did not know the co-worker well, I would feel the same way as you. I would not be comfortable with with doing either really.

You have not mentioned if your boss is attending. But given that you and your co-worker are not close to the family of the deceased it would seem sufficient that your boss go as a representative of the company. But I don't imagine to want to put that to him.

Given the fact that your boss has made this unusual demand in the first place, I would be afraid that if you did not comply he might hold it against you two.
I did say in an earlier post that my boss is attending and I gave the reasons why. She has much more legitimate reasons to attend. We do not.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
While I agree the manager should not be mandating the attendance of either the wake or funeral, I'm stunned by some of the lame excuses I'm reading for not attending. The bereaved would be offended??? It's because the manager is part of a community? It's too religious?

Do some of you not know that people attend wakes and services or pay a shiva call when coworkers lose a loved one all the time and it's always appreciated? It sounds like there's ignorance around this.

Is there no such thing as etiquette anymore? (rhetorical question - no need to respond, I already know the answer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment