Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It doesn't matter what gets asked, it's whether or not the prior employer answers. Most don't, at least not companies large enough to have competent HR and Legal departments.
There is nothing ambiguous about whether someone is eligible for rehire, and no need for companies to shy away from giving a straight forward yes or no answer.
OP if it makes you feel any better i think it's not likely to get a 'not eligible for rehire' unless you did something pretty drastic. Our company has roughly two dozen or so termination codes, everything fom 'seasonal help' to 'reduction in workforce' Out of all those there are only two or thee that result in a 'not eligible' designation and the only ones I've seen used personally were for theft and workplace violence (fistfight on premises). A 'doesn't fit' hardly seems likely to qualify you for being ineligible for rehire.

Last edited by DubbleT; 05-02-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM

46 posts, read 141,211 times
To think of all the lives someone could damage simply by not liking someone if they report "not eligible for rehire."

I would hope large companies wouldn't report this unless it was something as drastic as the examples you list. Office politics can get you fired - I got that, but it shouldn't ruin your life.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Can't speak for all companies but for us it's not a matter of office politics, if you are terminated as ineligible there is a paper trail to back it up, time cards, asset protection reports, police reports, etc. I would imagine it's similar at most larger companies. "Not a good fit' can be the catchall for 'we just don't like you,' and it gets a lot of people terminated, but that doesn't usually translate into 'ineligible for rehire'.

Have you asked HR directly if you would be eligible for rehire after a period of time? (which is an entirely different matter than asking if they give out the reason for termination)

Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 PM

I was given no verbal or written warnings; which is why they can't contest unempliyment I'm told

Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 PM

The official reason they gave me is "misconduct," but they have no documentation to back it up. Obviously, that is why I am so upset because this doesn't make sense. Someone wanted to get rid of me and they did it the most disastrous way they could. How can they justify that with no warnings? I sent HR my reason for why it didn't make sense and they sent me a written letter alleging things I said that never happened or were never recorded. I mean, wtf? How am I supposed to explain that to other employees other than a salesman obviously wanted to get rid of me

Old 05-02-2015, 10:00 PM

They also "promised" never to reveal the reason if I sign a release, but that gives me no comfort if this site says I'm ineligible for rehire

Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 PM

If that is on there I will have to sue for character defamation because there is no way they can prove it with documents. I will have no choice, I have to protect my reputation

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There is nothing ambiguous about whether someone is eligible for rehire, and no need for companies to shy away from giving a straight forward yes or no answer.
OP if it makes you feel any better i think it's not likely to get a 'not eligible for rehire' unless you did something pretty drastic. Our company has roughly two dozen or so termination codes, everything fom 'seasonal help' to 'reduction in workforce' Out of all those there are only two or thee that result in a 'not eligible' designation and the only ones I've seen used personally were for theft and workplace violence (fistfight on premises). A 'doesn't fit' hardly seems likely to qualify you for being ineligible for rehire.
The question is...is that information given out to other companies checking employment history. The standard practice is that it is not. Most companies today will only verify basic information, like dates of employment and job title (if that). Very few give "references" good or bad, and very few will disclose a reason for leaving.

Every company I have worked for since at least the 90s has had the policy that no one may give out information about former employees except HR, and HR would only give out the basic information I mentioned. I find the same to be true when having background checks done on candidates.

There is no upside for a company to give out references, and there is a potential downside, so corporate America has learned to mitigate the risk by saying as little as possible.

Once again, OP, stop worrying about this!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded09 View Post
If that is on there I will have to sue for character defamation because there is no way they can prove it with documents. I will have no choice, I have to protect my reputation
Before you head down that rabbit hole, if you do find negative information on The Work Number, try disputing it with them first. They have to follow the Fair Credit Reporting Act, so you can file a dispute with them just like you can with a credit report. The employer would then have to verify that the entry is accurate, which could be hard for them to do, if they even bother. If they don't or can't it has to be deleted.

If you do go that route, and the credit bureau comes back and says the data was verified don't give up there. Demand to see proof from TWN and continue to insist it be removed. If, as you say, there is no documentation they can provide, it can't be proven. They're not supposed to just accept "yes it's accurate" at face value.

I believe (opinion here) that this is why The Work Number might only state voluntary or involuntary. That's pretty cut and dry, and easily verified. Anything else is too subjective for them to want to get into disputes over.

But I feel like I can't say this to you too many times...you are too worried about this. If it happens, deal with it then, otherwise forget about it and move on with your life!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 10,321 times
Default terminology of the employment data report

quick question about terminology.

So i got my employee data report from the work number and
for each of my jobs , its lists date of terminations, but i was not terminated from my job? why does it say date of termination and not date of "quit". further the employment status reads: no longer employed, so why does it say date of "termination"

Last edited by whereswaldo311; 05-18-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment