Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 PM

64 posts, read 102,126 times

Advertisements

Topic title is simple enough.

For those of us who might not have as much professional experience in a particular field as other candidates - what can we do to overcome that and still get the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I recently did just that. The others not only seemed overqualified, but their attitudes did not project a real desire for the job. The person I hired made it clear that she wasn't just looking for a job, but wanted to work for us. She has worked out great, exemplary attendance despite a long commute, quick learner, and gets along with everyone. It will be 6 months later this week, great decision.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Agree with Hemlock, it is all about attitude, make the hiring manager understand that you want that job, and you are willing to do the work to be successful at it.

I have hired lesser qualified people many times in my career and have usually been very happy that I did. As long as someone knows and understands the basics, and is smart enough to grasp the concepts and what I need them to do, the rest can be learned. However they have to want to learn it and put in the effort, and get that they are wanting to do just that across to me in the cover letter and interview.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Co-sign with the above. Hire for attitude, train for skills.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Selling points for a person with less experience:

- may stay longer and be less prone to jump ship
- better attitude
- more motivated
- less pay

Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Don't look a day over 50 (30 in some industries)

Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Agree with Hemlock, it is all about attitude, make the hiring manager understand that you want that job, and you are willing to do the work to be successful at it.

I have hired lesser qualified people many times in my career and have usually been very happy that I did. As long as someone knows and understands the basics, and is smart enough to grasp the concepts and what I need them to do, the rest can be learned. However they have to want to learn it and put in the effort, and get that they are wanting to do just that across to me in the cover letter and interview.
Yep! That is how I got my current position, actually.

I applied for this job, and was even told not to bother because I didn't have the experience needed. This was for a position in a different location 1500 miles away in a totally different part of the business.

I interviewed well, and I also had people that vouched for me, which helped. They were actually wanting someone outside of the norm from what they usually hired and someone that could shake things up, so, that is what they got!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Add another point for attitude. Way too many applicants come in with the attitude that they are here to complete a task, not to work. Once that task is completed, sitting on their butt updating their facebook page or responding to City Data post is totally acceptable. But when that person walks in who has the attitude that they want to succeeded and their success translates to the company's success, it's very hard to hire another one of those "here's my education and experience so rate me only on that" when you have someone with that attitude you know is a winner.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Selling points for a person with less experience:

- may stay longer and be less prone to jump ship
- better attitude
- more motivated
- less pay
and yet, that person will still jump ship once they have a year of experience...

Same with attitude, someone can have a good attitude about working, that doesn't mean they are going to stick to a company just because they like it. I like each of my former employers, that didn't stop me from changing just because I felt like spreading my wings. And the companies were happy that I "outgrew" the position and saw me off with a party and well wishes. It's a small field so I could see myself back at where I started in 15-20 years anyways, who knows, and at that time, I'll bring back all the extra experience I've accumulated. It wasn't even that I didn't have room for promotions that I left, I just wanted to try out how another company operated.

That might be how I got positions where I'm not "as qualified" for is that I have a good network of people from the various places I've worked. I also let them know I'm switching because I want the challenge of the new job, I may not be qualified for it, but I learn quick and adjust well so I am confident I can fit into the role with adept training. And so far, I've only have 1 place turn me down, and they left town so I don't feel bad about it. I had a fed job turn me down right out of college, and then a year ago I applied again and now I've been with the fed since. I didn't feel bad about being turned down that first time, I'm not a vet and didn't have much experience, a few years of working around town and traveling and some luck on not going up against another vet means I'm in my current job.

my story is that just because you can't check everything off the list, a good 75%-80% is good enough for me to apply. If I get the job, I can learn the other 20-25%, if not then I apply again later on when I get 10-15% experience and only need 5-10% to make up for. It's just about keep going after what you want, if you don't get it, then try again later on. And again if you need it, and then again until you get it.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and yet, that person will still jump ship once they have a year of experience...
Isn't at-will employment grand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment