Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:52 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
It's actually probably hardest to get capital just because you have an 'invention.' Even if it's a good one.
So are you suggesting it's "Easier" to get capital to start a business with no skills or a clue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
All of which require skills, you can hardly start a business as a financial consult when you haven't a clue what the difference between stocks and bonds are.
Really?! I had no idea.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
I third lemonade stand
I'd go with beer stand.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM

Hello, I plan on making a hot dog for dinner tonight, can I have 50k please?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 AM

90 posts, read 147,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Hello, I plan on making a hot dog for dinner tonight, can I have 50k please?
I dare you to ask for $50k for that on Kickstarter.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Saw an article in a major newspaper the other day about an 8 year old girl who has had a business for 2 years.

She puts on a baking show with a video, with a new episode every week, teaching other kids how to bake something over the Internet shown on utube I believe it was. Shot with minimum equipment, and kind of amateur but what do you expect from an 8 year old girl. Income from advertising shown on the show.

Sounds not much of a business, but it grosses over $126,000 a week and almost all profit. Talk about a low cost to start business, this is one.

Of course OP this may be too small a business for your dreams, but it shows if you have enough brains you can succeed, even if you start your business when you are 6 years old.
I agree, there are many will make a living off of YouTube vlogs and what not but it isn't exactly over night success. That is why I said to prepare for the long game. There have been a few things I heard too that are good ideas.
1) be an expert. Even if you want to be an everyman, you need to know what you are talking about.
2) have videos in the back upon launch. A comic book channel I follow said to have five videos upon launch, this way users well see you are not likely to be a one hour wonder.
3) don't sweat low views early on. Some people, myself included may get discouraged by view counts. Sometimes you will have tons of views off the bat, other times you may have one video that creates your fanbase like anther comic book YouTube poster I follow. As I said before, prepare for the long-game.
4) make it look professional. Yo can't film it on your phone and can't really do bad graphics and a bad looking wall. A YouTube personality banned John Campea who hosted The Stream.tv Arrow After Show and AMC Movie Talk said that if you look professional, people will think you are.

Listen, I am not saying this to turn you off the idea of YouTube vlogging, just warning you that it is tough and you may not be able to quit your first job or do odd jobs around the neighborhood to supplement. Most vloggers that aren't children did that.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
Was curious about this and found this youtube video about how much top youtubers make. Pretty amazing really if the numbers are accurate. They give ranges since some of them make 60cents per 1000 impressions and some can make $5 per 1000 apparently..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUhFybI8OU

Interesting that near the top are two "toy collector" youtubers.

This is an article about one that made over $4million in 2014 , doing videos opening toys...

DC Toy Collector: Highest-Paid YouTube Channel : People.com

Crazy!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:49 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,870,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
Wtf are you talking about? I asked what types of businesses do not cost millions or billions too start.

Hot dog wagon in NYC, Philly or DC. Heck, one in each.

The license will set you back but overhead is low.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times
Yard work and the demand is infinite.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM

424 posts, read 380,258 times
Landscaping business, if you do it on the cheap probably around $5,000 investment
Foodcart, less than $10,000
Electronics repair, if you have the proper licenses very cheap as you could work out of garage
Website/internet/program/software developer, less than $5,000
Probably more.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment