Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Over the last year, I've worked with and supervised 17 people under the age of 25 in a retail environment. Out of those 17 people, there have been 3 who were worth the time and effort it took to train them. The other 14, without fail, would come in habitually late, call off work without notice, "forget" that they were on the schedule on Friday or Saturday nights, or expect to just stand behind a cash register and play on their phone when there weren't any customers in the store.

My favorite was the one who disappeared for a week, then was surprised that he didn't have a job anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Over the last year, I've worked with and supervised 17 people under the age of 25 in a retail environment. Out of those 17 people, there have been 3 who were worth the time and effort it took to train them. The other 14, without fail, would come in habitually late, call off work without notice, "forget" that they were on the schedule on Friday or Saturday nights, or expect to just stand behind a cash register and play on their phone when there weren't any customers in the store.

My favorite was the one who disappeared for a week, then was surprised that he didn't have a job anymore.
Gosh you mean YOUNG PEOPLE are IRRESPONSIBLE?! Gee its not like we can go back and watch shows from the 80s, 50s, radio broadcasts from the 30s, 20s, plays and newspapers from the 10's all talking about how lazy and irresponsible YOUNG PEOPLE ARE?! Oh the insanity!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Gosh you mean YOUNG PEOPLE are IRRESPONSIBLE?! Gee its not like we can go back and watch shows from the 80s, 50s, radio broadcasts from the 30s, 20s, plays and newspapers from the 10's all talking about how lazy and irresponsible YOUNG PEOPLE ARE?! Oh the insanity!
Don't get me wrong, I was an idiot when I was in my early 20s. However, I was an idiot that had grown up on a farm in the country, where you were expected to do what you said you would do. I also had fairly expensive taste and an active social life, both of which required money. Calling out or forgetting to go to work didn't happen.

Honestly, I expect young people to be somewhat irresponsible. However, I also expect them to realize that there are consequences for their irresponsibility, and not be surprised when they lose the job that they haven't been interested in doing in the first place. In short, if you're going to be an immature twit, expect to be treated like one.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:47 PM

229 posts, read 382,758 times
Yet millennials are doing more unpaid internships than anyone else before. I've done 4 and I know plenty of others who are in the same boat. I even saw an internship where you actually had to pay the company. Even the immigrants don't work for free.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millen...00115.html?l=1

Apparently, millennials are just awful, when compared to international students and workers. Decreased educational funding and lack of training will do that. But this could be another sign that America has "jumped the shark", so to speak.

If we cannot compete on a global scale, we will all see declining standard of living. Wages will decline (as they have been) and corporations will decide to invest elsewhere. You can't elect people to solve these problems. They will only sugar coat the truth and concern themselves with reelection.

Millennials have a tendency to whine that this is not fair, which really doesn't help at all. I think it pacifies some. Regardless, companies will continue to find any means possible to avoid employing a millennial. America is probably looking at decades of stagnation, at best.
*yawn* another "millenials suck" thread.

I think the problem is less with the "lazy millenials" and more with the narcissistic boomers that think they are the rat's *****

speaking of whiners, this forum has the biggest percentage of boomers that whine about other generations in the history of the internet.

speaking of whining about lack of work ethic, what are you boomers doing on the internet when you should be working? I know a good percentage of you aren't retired yet. for the ones that are retired, I know reruns of magnum pi get old but find a better hobby besides message board millennial bashing.

don't worry about us, we will be running circles around you in a few years after you all croak from obesity/diabetes related deaths. but you've already won, social security wont be there when we retire at this rate because your self-serving policies of the last 40 years.

ive said it before and ill say it again, just because your dope fiend kids are losers, doesn't mean that the rest of the millenials are losers.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
*yawn* another "millenials suck" thread.

I think the problem is less with the "lazy millenials" and more with the narcissistic boomers that think they are the rat's *****

speaking of whiners, this forum has the biggest percentage of boomers that whine about other generations in the history of the internet.

speaking of whining about lack of work ethic, what are you boomers doing on the internet when you should be working? I know a good percentage of you aren't retired yet. for the ones that are retired, I know reruns of magnum pi get old but find a better hobby besides message board millennial bashing.

don't worry about us, we will be running circles around you in a few years after you all croak from obesity/diabetes related deaths. but you've already won, social security wont be there when we retire at this rate because your self-serving policies of the last 40 years.
I'm not a boomer and I work midnights

Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
what are you boomers doing on the internet when you should be working? I know a good percentage of you aren't retired yet. for the ones that are retired, I know reruns of magnum pi get old but find a better hobby besides message board millennial bashing.
The boomers are busy watching faux and voting for Republicans who are notorious for making government bigger, printing more money while putting us into debt, and shipping jobs overseas.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
This started well before millennials. I had a bunch of Gen Xers working for me and they needed to be told what to do constantly. No initiative- with the exception of the ones that had been in the military. The non-military ones would finish a task and come ask me, "what do I do next?". Never would one come over and say, "I think I should do this next, do you agree?".

Think about it. Mom and Dad scheduled their lives and hovered over them constantly. School is scheduled, free time is scheduled. Mom or Dad takes them from one activity to another. They don't have to figure out what they have to do, when they have to be there, how they're going to get there because Mom's got it all covered. That's why the ones in the military worked out. They're told what's expected and they have to figure out how to get it done.

People, especially children will rise to the level of expectation. If they are never expected to be responsible for their own choices, if everyone always gets an award for participation, how can we expect them to show responsibility and initiative in the workplace.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:56 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
But there are some - perhaps they're part of the 40% - who seem to lack the ability to think things through. We see it here with "should I arrive early" or "my paycheck is wrong, what should I do" or "should I send a thank you email". I don't get it.
This comes from never being allowed to make a decision as a child or teen. If you make good and bad decisions and allowed to learn from them instead of being protected from the consequences, you'll figure out the answers to these Mickey Mouse questions very quickly.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
The boomers are busy watching faux and voting for Republicans who are notorious for making government bigger, printing more money while putting us into debt, and shipping jobs overseas.
Fail post of the year. Nice generalization there.

Boomer policies such as Social Security and welfare for all (Democrat policies) are going to have BILLS coming due that the millenials will never be able to pay.

Burn baby burn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment