Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:02 AM

529 posts, read 508,287 times

Advertisements

?
Grand Parents> Parents> Current Kids> The next generations > the next generations kids

When did this belief start? I bet it was right around the industrial revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millen...00115.html?l=1

Apparently, millennials are just awful, when compared to international students and workers. Decreased educational funding and lack of training will do that. But this could be another sign that America has "jumped the shark", so to speak.
There hasn't been any real overall decrease in funding. We spend more than any country in the world, by far, in actual dollars. Not as a percentage of our GDP, but our GDP is so titanic in size that the relatively average percentage of about 5.5 percent equates to a vast sea of money. And we spend more per child. However, we lag behind in math and science (10th place) for that amount of money.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 05-03-2015 at 06:01 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
i'm a millenial and i've made the the decision to retire at 25 and just soak up whatever gov't benefits I can and live a totally lazy and work free life!

some people are drug free...I am work free and drug free, because to be a workaholic/drug addict...its 2 sides of the same coin. Both evil! dark side! of the force...until the expectations of full time work go down to 20 hours, I'm resigned

Well. I hope you get what you deserve.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:09 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
I guess since I was born smack dab in 1980 I'm considered a millennial.
That actually makes you a young X-genner. You can remember the world before the Web.

Quote:
It also taught us to shun the skilled "unskilled" trades like mechanic, service, welding, etc because we were told to be better than that, hence the high paying fancy title entitlement mentality. And the starting on the bottom thing, yeah, I was guilty of that for a time... more concerned with looking good and being ashamed of what job position you held, people we grew up with were notoriously shallow when it came to what job you had... eventually I realized I grew up around some very bad people.
Now, I want to point that comment back to this one made earlier by another correspondent:

Quote:
You have it nailed, as to the big problem. Millennials do not want to accept the fact, that just because you went to college, does not make you the perfect candidate for the job no matter what it is. They cannot accept the fact, that just any old degree will be acceptable. They don't want to accept the fact, that is they have a degree in say social work, that is what they are qualified for, and in other fields they may have no more appeal to an employer than a high school diploma. They don't want to accept that they will have to state at the same level and pay as high school graduates in fields outside the one they were trained for.
Yes, we Boomer parents and teachers and counselors did, indeed, teach X-genners and Millennials that all of you needed a bachelor's degree--any degree--and to shun the skilled trades. We definitely did that--and are still doing it.

And we were wrong. You paid attention to us--and are still paying attention to us--but we were wrong.

So now, people are telling you afterward--after you've trustfully dedicates so much time and money on wrong advice--that you were stupid and made bad choices...when the choice you made was to listen to those who were supposed to be your good advisers.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millen...00115.html?l=1

Decreased educational funding and lack of training will do that.
Absolutely not true.

America’s Most Costly Educational Failure
By Paul Ciotti
This article appeared in Investors Business Daily.

Quote:
For more than a decade, the Kansas City district got more money per pupil than any other of the 280 major school districts in the country. Yet in spite of having perhaps the finest facilities of any school district its size in the country, nothing changed. Test scores stayed put, the three-grade-level achievement gap between blacks and whites did not change, and the dropout rate went up, not down.
Money And School Performance:
Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment

by Paul Ciotti

Executive Summary

Quote:
For decades critics of the public schools have been saying, "You can't solve educational problems by throwing money at them." The education establishment and its supporters have replied, "No one's ever tried." In Kansas City they did try. To improve the education of black students and encourage desegregation, a federal judge invited the Kansas City, Missouri, School District to come up with a cost-is-no-object educational plan and ordered local and state taxpayers to find the money to pay for it.

Kansas City spent as much as $11,700 per pupil--more money per pupil, on a cost of living adjusted basis, than any other of the 280 largest districts in the country. The money bought higher teachers' salaries, 15 new schools, and such amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwater viewing room, television and animation studios, a robotics lab, a 25-acre wildlife sanctuary, a zoo, a model United Nations with simultaneous translation capability, and field trips to Mexico and Senegal. The student-teacher ratio was 12 or 13 to 1, the lowest of any major school district in the country.

The results were dismal. Test scores did not rise; the black-white gap did not diminish; and there was less, not greater, integration.
Adjusting for inflation $11,700 in 1990 is equivalent to $21,136.90 in 2015. Even with all this money nothing happened for the better... in fact drop out rates increased. Go figure.

But there's a chart for this that the teachers unions just hate to see. Note the dollar figure is adjusted for inflation.

First thing is I would remove all computers and smart phones from kindergarten to high school graduation. I kid you not, I believe these devices have made kids stupider today than they were 50 years ago when I want to high school.

I am convinced these devices make students stupider and mentally lazy. The let the box fix their problems and I've seen it.

Note to spelling Nazi's... I know "stupider" isn't correct, it should be "more stupid" but I like using the term for effect.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
This is an overly sensationalized propaganda article from Yahoo. They are selling those lies to promote the idea that we need to hire foreign nationals to work in the USA on H-1B and L1 visas.

They want you to believe that everyone born between 1980-2000 is utterly uneducated and useless, so therefore we need to hire a bunch of people from 3rd world countries, who are also cheaper to employ than an American. It's incredibly ridiculous when you really break down the lie that they are feeding you. It's corporate America propaganda designed to sway the public to be open to the idea of giving away American jobs to foreign and guest workers who aren't American citizens.
Just stop with those conspiracy theories... there are foreign nationals from Europe and other developed countries who also beat Americans. And no, those are definitely not cheaper. They're certainly more expensive due to the visa cost + the salary. Take that into account and think again, why would US companies pay more those foreign nationals?!?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:33 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Just stop with those conspiracy theories... there are foreign nationals from Europe and other developed countries who also beat Americans. And no, those are definitely not cheaper. They're certainly more expensive due to the visa cost + the salary. Take that into account and think again, why would US companies pay more those foreign nationals?!?
From Europe?! LOL Maybe there are under 100 of those. Most of them are Asian from India, China, or the Philppines. They are actually a lot cheaper as it costs around $5000 for a company to hire a headhunter to find just ONE American employee. $5000 just to headhunt one American, before sign-on costs, or about $8000 total just to onboard a foreign visa employee? Visa sponsorship+lower pay & no benefits is definitely cheaper in the long run. Why do you think so many major corporations are switching to hire H-1B and J-1 visa workers? Corporate GREED.

I can tell I know more about this issue than you do.... Exclusive: Union Official Says 'Corporate Greed' Behind Push for H-1B Visas - Breitbart

U.S. Senator blasts Microsoft's H-1B push as it lays off 18,000 workers | Computerworld

How 800,000 H-1B Workers Came to the U.S. - Dice Insights

H-1B reform debate pits tech firms against veteran IT workers | PCWorld

Old 05-03-2015, 09:35 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
This is an overly sensationalized propaganda article from Yahoo. They are selling those lies to promote the idea that we need to hire foreign nationals to work in the USA on H-1B and L1 visas.

They want you to believe that everyone born between 1980-2000 is utterly uneducated and useless, so therefore we need to hire a bunch of people from 3rd world countries, who are also cheaper to employ than an American. It's incredibly ridiculous when you really break down the lie that they are feeding you. It's corporate America propaganda designed to sway the public to be open to the idea of giving away American jobs to foreign and guest workers who aren't American citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
This started in the 1990's before the millennials ever got out of high school. It's nothing new and not unique to your generation.

Yes, true. From a recent Washington Post article:
Quote:
The H1B program was created in 1990 to attract high-skilled workers from around the world, but it has become a way for outsourcing firms to bring lower-paid employees to the United States.
Visas for high-skilled workers could double under bipartisan Senate plan - The Washington Post

Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Every time a big company (Yahoo, Microsoft, Oracle) complains that there aren't enough skilled American workers to fill their jobs, hence the need for more H1B visas, they forget to finish the sentence:

There aren't enough skilled American workers to fill the jobs we have open, at the rate we want to pay.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
From Europe?! LOL Maybe there are under 100 of those. Most of them are Asian from India, China, or the Philppines. They are actually a lot cheaper as it costs around $5000 for a company to hire a headhunter to find just ONE American employee. $5000 just to headhunt one American, before sign-on costs, or about $8000 total just to onboard a foreign visa employee? Visa sponsorship+lower pay & no benefits is definitely cheaper in the long run. Why do you think so many major corporations are switching to hire H-1B and J-1 visa workers? Corporate GREED.

I can tell I know more about this issue than you do.... Exclusive: Union Official Says 'Corporate Greed' Behind Push for H-1B Visas - Breitbart

U.S. Senator blasts Microsoft's H-1B push as it lays off 18,000 workers | Computerworld

How 800,000 H-1B Workers Came to the U.S. - Dice Insights

H-1B reform debate pits tech firms against veteran IT workers | PCWorld
I can only speak for my company, a major actor in the financial industries. Well recently, the only option we had was to transfer from:

- France
- UK
- Singapore
- Australia

Do you really think that this is a sustainable practice from a company's point of view, and that it is cheaper for us?!? We don't need to use head hunters, we can just hire a HR dedicated to hiring if we wanted. As a matter of fact, we did that in Singapore for 6 months to respond to a very demanding situation and we could do a 6 months intense hiring in the US as well. But the core issue is that we are looking for some specific resources, that we can find in other regions but struggle to find within the US. We want them to be:

- Knowledgeable in financial regulations and products
- Fully autonomous from an IT perspective, i.e. able to deal with database and web solutions with programming skills (PL/SQL, XML as a minimum)
- Able to provide pre sales support
- And able to communicate the added value of the solution

The money is obviously not an issue as we did hire 2 Americans for the job, one after another. They both left after a year, as they thought the job was "too difficult", whatever that means... And after 2 attempts, we just transferred. So yes, I do not know what to think of all your links when I simply take a look at our situation.

And we do have more of those positions (not just pre sales, but loads of other type of positions which basically all require to have a good understanding of financial regulations, as well as strong technology and communication skills).

Should I simply laugh with you?

Finally to be fair, let me just add this: a lot of Indians we have seen for interviews are also not worth it. On that, I would agree. But it does not mean we see better Americans. It's irrelevant at this point.

Last edited by Gasolin; 05-03-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment