Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 AM

53 posts, read 95,207 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I am relocating to the Northern California area in Mid June. I currently am employed and seeking opportunities in the San Francisco area. I have had some good interviews however the only set back has been the fact that I am not in SF. Because of this I am willing to leave without a job as I am confident I can find a job in less than a month. If I leave my current job now I will receive 3 weeks worth of my salary and within 3 weeks will also receive the contribution from my 401k. Unfortunately using some funds from my 401k is not an option it has to be done. Some of my friends have stated that I should wait until the end of May however if I do that I will end up waiting for my 401k to come to me before I can move. If I resign now, by the time I receive my 401k I can pretty much leave.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
I don't know what I would do, but wanted to make a suggestion instead.

Look for groups on Linkedin in your field in SF and also look for recruiters in SF and join those groups. Post the date you'll be moving to the area, what your field is, and that you wonder if anyone is aware of any openings you might qualify for. They can take a look at your profile for the details. I know of a couple of people who got interviews this way, with one landing a job.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I'm in the SF Bay area.
How much money do you have saved up?
Do you realize what the COL is in SF?

Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 PM

I do not plan on living in SF area but outside of it. I actually have family that lives not too far away and I am willing to commute to work. I have checked the COL and know I can afford outside of SF. However I have every intention on working in the Bay Area.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Do you have enough money saved up for 1 year's expenses?
I wouldn't bet on finding work in SF in less than one month.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've made a successful move to the Bay Area and was able to get multiple job offers in less than 2 months. I've even changed jobs a couple of times since being here.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry7183 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've made a successful move to the Bay Area and was able to get multiple job offers in less than 2 months. I've even changed jobs a couple of times since being here.
Slow down on the job hopping. Having multiples in 6 months is not a good thing.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Slow down on the job hopping. Having multiples in 6 months is not a good thing.
Thanks that's absolutely true. The last two positions I had were dead end jobs, the new job I'm going to has a lot of potential growth opportunities and that is what is most important to me.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 PM

684 posts, read 713,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry7183 View Post
Hello all,

So I am relocating to the Northern California area in Mid June. I currently am employed and seeking opportunities in the San Francisco area. I have had some good interviews however the only set back has been the fact that I am not in SF. Because of this I am willing to leave without a job as I am confident I can find a job in less than a month. If I leave my current job now I will receive 3 weeks worth of my salary and within 3 weeks will also receive the contribution from my 401k. Unfortunately using some funds from my 401k is not an option it has to be done. Some of my friends have stated that I should wait until the end of May however if I do that I will end up waiting for my 401k to come to me before I can move. If I resign now, by the time I receive my 401k I can pretty much leave.

What would you do?
What I would do ?

I would leave 401k alone an leave in such a way that I can get unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment