Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times

Advertisements

No need to stress out over it. This happens all the time and your boss has seen it before. Thank him for the opportunity and just let him know that you are moving to be closer to your family. He will likely understand, and you won't burn your bridge. You might find that in a worst case scenario, you could go back to that old job if you had to. If he gets upset, then did you really have a good relationship? Don't stress. Be excited about new opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:23 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Tell him how much you enjoyed working for him and the company but you are leaving to move closer to your family. He will understand.
Exactly. If you were going to a competitor right down the street that's one thing, but you are moving to be closer to your friends and family and ultimately a better quality of life (one can assume) so it's completely different.

This past December, I put in my 2 weeks notice during my quarterly review. My boss, while sad, was very understanding since her family is in the Northeast area and she gets to visit them frequently. I thanked her for the opportunity and all of the mentoring along the way as it has helped me become a better Account Manager and transferred over well to my current role here. Just come across as genuine and sad to leave, but grateful for the opportunity. Family should come first and foremost so any company that doesn't understand that isn't worth working for.

Also, my advice is to bust your behind off the last 2 weeks there. There's nothing worse than someone who put in their 2 weeks, mentally checked out and leaves a mess after their tenure there. I made sure when I put in my 2 weeks that I successfully transitioned my accounts to the next Account Manager (all the passwords she would need, tid bits about the client and their personalities, etc.). I also let them know I would be available by personal email or phone if any issues/questions ever arose. That is what truly sets you apart and will make your boss really appreciate you. Don't leave your coworkers in a bind. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM

121 posts, read 119,868 times
Default Cha-cha-changes ..

A certain amount of trepidation about any change is normal. I think it stems from the unknown; the "what-ifs." If you have a good relationship with your boss, they will understand your reasons for leaving. If your inner voice says the move is right, then follow that. We instinctively know when something just feels right. It's after that we get bogged down with all the details that makes us doubt. If it's right, the way will seem open for you. The indecision is the most grueling part. Once you make up your mind, as in giving your notice, it will be a big relief. Then the decision has been made and the wheels are starting to turn in some new direction. Just another end of an era as a new chapter begins in life. Best wishes.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Just do it. It's business and it happens everyday to thousands of people. You just got to take a deep breath and do it. Don't procrastinate, the longer you wait the harder it gets.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
As a boss myself, and having been an employee before, realize one thing - this is about you.

Aside from whatever relationship it is you have with your boss, as an employee everyone is replaceable. Whether you will be missed and/or how great of a job you did is irrelevant.

You need to do what is right for you, period. It's your life, your paycheck, your family. A job is just a job. Don't be anxious over making a choice for yourself.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 14,051 times
You are all so nice and have provided great advice! I am having the conversation tomorrow, I will report back.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 14,051 times
UPDATE:

It went well. Boss was understanding.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Question is why it wouldn't go well? But congrats that it did

Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me View Post
UPDATE:

Glad it's behind you. You have a good manager.

Best of luck to you in the move and new job!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me View Post
UPDATE:

I've only recently learned (the past few years) that my feelings of anxiety, depression, stress, or any other negative feeling has mostly been a self-inflicted wound.

Many times in my past where I feel I had lost control due to those negative feelings, I never realized I was carrying the switch all along. When those emotions overtook me, and for long stretches of time, all I felt was the weight of the world pushing me down. Yet all I had to do was flick a switch to start the uphill climb (that takes time too). All that matters is the bumpy road ahead has an uphill feeling to it.

Personally, I hit bottom over the past year (mostly with depression), and now am only recently feeling myself going uphill (over speed bumps, ditches, road spikes, and even an occasional stray missile). The direction is right - the rest will come in time.

It's great that it went well. Next time don't get all worked up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment