Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
As someone who sometimes has to let people go, attendance and punctuality are the reasons most often given.
It is easy to document when a person is at work (or not).
It is not easy to document someone's bad attitude, negative personality, inability to work with others, aloof or haughty demeanor, or sloppy presence.
When we have an employee who is exhibiting some of the traits above, it is a welcome relief when they are also tardy. So much easier to get rid of them for "being late". Then we don't have to worry about an HR nightmare or possible litigation.
That's what I thought...

Basically, a GOOD employee who is well-liked probably isn't gonna get fired for being two minutes late...or five minutes late...

Very few people are THAT anal.

As I said, the OP was probably a slow learner (self-admitted), and the company could possibly be sued (or in today's day and age, well-hated because of social media) for firing him because of it. Being late was an excellent excuse to let him go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 05:31 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
basically i was not late, i clocked in 2 min late. the job is a retail job i mean they let me go so coldly, these managers are fake, they dont give a **** like they say they do. i am not implying that they have to care, but their full of ****.
I am sorry that you got fired, but punctuality is very important. If you clocked in 2 min. late, then you were late. Being late is like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't, there is no kind of.

I teach high school. I cannot walk into a class 2 min. after the bell on a consistent basis and expect to keep my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Take this as a lesson learned and don't be late for your next job !
This is very good advice.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:55 AM

359 posts, read 476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Anglo cultures (such as the US) tend to be extremely anal about punctuality. I've worked in other countries where being late was normal and even expected.

Like it or not, you just have to adapt.

I hate having to wake up at 5 am everyday, but I do it. Although I'm pretty much a massive douche in the morning, stepping on and kicking passersby out my way (not literally, but close to it ) to burst through the building doors in an aggro hellfire rushed whirlwind, I magically transform into a poised smiling professional booting up my computer 8:30 on the dot the minute I step inside.

My anger at being up early gives me the energy I need to be on time in the morning.
Wait, you have a 3.5 hour commute? Or do you do something else in that time between waking up and starting to work? I wake up at 4:30 every day, but that's because I start work at 6 and have a 1 hour commute.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Wait, you have a 3.5 hour commute? Or do you do something else in that time between waking and starting to work? I wake up at 4:30 every day, but that's because I start work and have a 1 hour commute.
My commute is 1.5 hours, and I take about 2 hours to get ready.

I'm pretty slow getting ready because it takes me like 45 minutes to eat even a granola bar in the morning, and I have to eat in the morning before doing anything else, otherwise I get dizzy.

The other 1 hr 15 min....well, it takes time to be presentable! It's the price I pay being female.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM

359 posts, read 476,848 times
Quote:
My commute is 1.5 hours, and I take about 2 hours to get ready.

I'm pretty slow getting ready because it takes me like 45 minutes to eat even a granola bar in the morning, and I have to eat in the morning before doing anything else, otherwise I get dizzy.

The other 1 hr 15 min....well, it takes time to be presentable! It's the price I pay being female.
Ahh! Perks of being a male. I need about 15 minutes to pull myself out of bed and throw some clothes on.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:13 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Meh... I know very few females that need 90 minutes to get ready. So it is not the price of being female.
Most are like me in the 30 - 45 minute range. And I can also get up and go in 15 minutes if need be.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... I know very few females that need 90 minutes to get ready. So it is not the price of being female.
Most are like me in the 30 - 45 minute range. And I can also get up and go in 15 minutes if need be.
I also have pretty bad chronic sinus issues (only in the morning though), so I'm constantly (literally every minute) having to stop and blow my nose, clear my throat, etc. (Sorry for tmi)

Otherwise it would take me half the time.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
You just don't get it.

Being two minutes late is NOTHING in retail, unless you are the key holder (the person opening the store).

A few lates is no reason to let a worker go. I'm in HR. It's BS to let someone go over that. As I was taught, "People have LIVES."

The OP is struggling. He could use some support. I'm sad that you and some others on this board don't see the person, just the chance to be a harda$$ anonymously.
I have never worked anywhere that saw being late as "no big deal", especially when one person's schedule depended on someone else being on time.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-11-2015 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Personal barb deleted.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
I also have pretty bad chronic sinus issues (only in the morning though), so I'm constantly (literally every minute) having to stop and blow my nose, clear my throat, etc. (Sorry for tmi)

Otherwise it would take me half the time.
LOL

You might want to see someone about that. I can't imagine having sinus issues so bad that it takes me twice as long to get ready. Can't you take a prescription?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM

306 posts, read 431,396 times
Quote:
basically i was not late, i clocked in 2 min late. the job is a retail job i mean they let me go so coldly, these managers are fake, they dont give a **** like they say they do. i am not implying that they have to care, but their full of ****.
This is all the more reason for you to make sure you're not late. Managers like that love to power trip. You give them an opportunity and they'll throw their weight around at your expense.

Quote:
one of the staff said i was a slow learner, but i though they were over that. but higher ups said i was late too much,. but i bet there were others who were late and i bet they did not do the same to them
That sounds like the problem. It sounds like you thought it was okay to be late a few times, because others did that. With these retail jobs there's always politics. Never compare yourself to somebody else. Others will always get away with things you won't, because there are always favorites.

There was a girl at my first job and it seemed like she could get away with anything. They would give her the easiest jobs to do. Managers would always joke with her and smile like they were friends. It turned out she stole 2,000 over the course of two months and she tried to frame one of the managers, but a camera caught her.

Another manager I had actually got high, sent an order to the wrong state and came in late, all in the same day. The CEO was in there waiting for him and fired him. Found out he got hired back the next day and they tried to pretend it never happened. I was a loyal employee, who often volunteered to open and close alone, and I was late because of a family issue. I found out they were seriously considering fire me for that.

You can NEVER compare yourself to other people you work with. You gave them grounds to fire you, and you got fired. Learn from this, and keep your distance next time. Your co-workers are not your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment