Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
People would complain if they only got paid for the actual work hours instead of a full day. And they talk about getting a "honest" days pay? Where is the "honest" day of work? I prefer the higher hourly rate when the work is there, and when done I go home instead of being paid lower and staying a full day
My point exactly! Sitting around all day is nuts. I can see that in a retail establishment where you have to be present for customers, but in an office? No thanks I don't even mind checking in at various times during the day to see if something has come up. I don't care what hours I work, just let me be productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
The few times in my life where I worked hourly and not as a business owner or commission based, I was known for working very hard, but once the work was done I was gone. I hate to waste time on a clock, especially after I owned my 1st business. Unfortunately most people do not think that way and prefer to milk the clock as long as possible.
I wish I could find more jobs like that. It may be time for my craiglist ad again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yeah, this is what I see most of the time. Most people in my office are coming in early/staying late just for appearances. Either that or they are horribly inefficient. Everyone on my team does the exact same work. Somehow I never have to come in early or stay late. Others are doing it constantly. All I can figure is that they are either kind of dumb, so everything takes longer, or they waste a ton of time.

It really helps that I don't want a promotion anymore. I'm fine with what I have and my time is more important than money. I'm not going to hang around just for appearances.
I baffle my boss for that very reason. She can't understand that I'm more motivated by happieness and control over my schedule than money. I pay my bills, buy what I need and stash some away. I have never been into the promotions, I just want to love what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 23,621 times
9:30 to 5 here with almost a 2 hr lunch break and I make 6 figures..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:28 PM

694 posts, read 1,202,968 times
There are still a few companies left which care about work/life balance, but mostly, it's all about corporate greed. Many companies are able to afford to hire more people, but why would they-rather have the faithful drones pick up an additional hour or two a day. In my opinion, the US is heading towards a civil war between the haves and have nots, occupy wall street movement was just a very mild beginning.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 PM

765 posts, read 986,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm public sector. I have never worked 9 to 5. Ever. Late nights and weekends? Yes. Depends on your department, clearly.
Teachers are public sector. Ask one them what their hours are.
What is your job title?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,463 times
Once you reach a certain position and/or salary level, you are paid for the value you contribute not for the time you work.

This often means irregular hours and compromised work-life balance.

Mon-Thurs I'm in the office 8-6, Fridays 8-1. Most weeknights I end up spending 1-2 hours catching up on email, business reading, preparing for meetings the next day, or mundane other tasks. Most of my workday gets eaten up by endless meetings, conference calls, plant visits, client calls - with a hodgepodge of broken segments of free time scattered in-between

Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I left a job recently because they thought Saturday was a regular work day. If I had potential to make a lot of money doing that in the short term I would tough it out, but if I'm only getting $15 an hour I'm not going to give up most of my free time and still not make much money. A lot of the problem is too many workers are passive and allow the employer to push them around. My in laws gave me grief for switching jobs, they worked making minimum wage for decades and refused to consider switching employers or moving to a better job market. I view competition as healthy. If I was forced to work Saturday I made sure I got as little done as possible to make it uneconomical for them to make me work an extra day. 40 hours a week is above average in most developed nations anyway.

Some people love work and that's fine if they don't mind 60 hours a week. But you have no right to force people who work to live not live to work to share your same schedule.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I know some of our employees routinely work 60+ hour weeks, and these aren't even managers. The manager of this team is my boss' boss and both this person and my manager both work insane hours. I don't see how they stand it.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:27 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
What is your job title?
I work in IT - my position is irrelevant. Any IT department will have staff that work all hours. And there are a whole slew of people in Finance that work very late hours, and often weekends.
Happens frequently.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Did the WSJ just notice? And they call themselves experts on the business world?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 AM

142 posts, read 242,285 times
I was a teacher. I worked from 7AM-3:30, plus weekends/after school meetings/part of summer. I got sick of working 55-60 hours a week, on salary, and a lousy salary at that. So I looked around for jobs that offer good pay and lots of time off. I became a nurse. Now I work 36 hours a week, and make a few hundred dollars more a month (which actually comes out to a whole heck of a lot more money when you consider the extra 24 hours a week that are all MINE).

I made a great choice. If businesses, or schools for that matter, want to keep employees, they better do better by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment