Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM

416 posts, read 395,718 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had someone approach them in a grocery store or Target, strike up a conversation and then ask them to exchange contact information regarding employment opportunities?

This has happened to me twice.

The first time was when I first moved to this city. I was in Trader Joes looking at the vegetables when a girl walked up and complimented my dress. I told her I bought it from Loft and that was when she began asking me where I was from, what I do, etc. She eventually asked for my contact information and said she had her full-time job, but did a lot of consulting on the side.

My most recent encounter was a few weeks ago.

I had just finished working out and was in Target looking at the tuna choices. A girl was a few steps down looking at something else when she asked me if I was from Georgia. The reason she asked was because I had on my Atlanta Braves tank. I told her that I was born there but moved to another state when my parents split. We started talking about sports and the teams we are fans of. The conversation then lead to what we did professionally.

She told me she worked on the creative side in branding, but also worked with entrepreneurs on other opportunities. I honestly didn't ask her to elaborate because at that time, I had no indication she would be interested in discussing opportunities. We talked a little more and then she asked me for my contact information.

Yesterday, I got a text from her saying she had come across an opportunity and thought of me and was wondering if we could discuss. I said sure.

I'm always skeptical of things like this. She was a sweet girl and I enjoyed talking to her, but I never know if the "opportunities" are legit, or just a scam. I've never had people approach me in a store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Prepare to hear the words Amway, Primerica, Herbalife, etc...

Who else would find people in the streets to do business with except a pyramid scheme?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Who else would find people in the streets to do business with except a pyramid scheme?
Bingo!!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
You give way too much info to total strangers. It does seem like they're targeting you for MLM "opportunities" but, you never really know. I've never had complete and total strangers ask about job opportunities unless we were engaged in some related activity (conference, local community event, etc).

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM

416 posts, read 395,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
You give way too much info to total strangers. It does seem like they're targeting you for MLM "opportunities" but, you never really know. I've never had complete and total strangers ask about job opportunities unless we were engaged in some related activity (conference, local community event, etc).
I only gave her my name and phone number. We actually have a few friends in common when I looked her up on Facebook. But if she is interested in getting me on-board for some pyramid scheme, she is sadly mistaken.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I'm originally from NY and I don't give out nuttin'.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
What you are describing is considered "prospecting" in some types of sales and marketing firms doing direct sales to consumers. They are looking to expand either their marketing group, or identify a customer, or both.

I agree with posters above that Amway is a likely possibility (or some other direct marketing multi-level/marketing scheme), or insurance sales people, and relatively less likely (but possible), one of a myriad of home products like vacuums, kitchen ware, etc. etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
This reminds me of something I witnessed late last year, only the pitch was different.

I was in the produce department of a grocery store when a woman approached another woman. They were close enough and loud enough for me to hear the one approaching say, "Oh your skin is so beautiful! Do you wear makeup at all? I'd love to give you a free facial and skin consultation." The second one said, "I work for Mary Kay, too." And they both laughed and went on their separate ways.

I had no idea what that even meant or who Mary Kay is, but when I remembered it about a week later and googled it I learned it's a makeup company and it sounded to me like it could be MLM.

I'm not saying this is the same situation, but there is an agenda here you should be cautious about. In these situations, it's best not to give out any information.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Either that or human traffickers. I'm not kidding.

Pains me to say it and mean it, but you've really got to be a bit paranoid with strangers these days.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This reminds me of something I witnessed late last year, only the pitch was different.

I was in the produce department of a grocery store when a woman approached another woman. They were close enough and loud enough for me to hear the one approaching say, "Oh your skin is so beautiful! Do you wear makeup at all? I'd love to give you a free facial and skin consultation." The second one said, "I work for Mary Kay, too." And they both laughed and went on their separate ways.

I had no idea what that even meant or who Mary Kay is, but when I remembered it about a week later and googled it I learned it's a makeup company and it sounded to me like it could be MLM.

I'm not saying this is the same situation, but there is an agenda here you should be cautious about. In these situations, it's best not to give out any information.
lol, I LOVE it. That's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment