Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,403 times

Advertisements

I didn't argue, I professionally replied her back, so she knows that aknowedge email. I got the email a week and 2 days later after I started

Last edited by Aples1967; 05-07-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:49 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Not how I'd have handled it, either. I'd have taken it offline, a conversation vs. email with cc: to manager, even if yours was a response to the supervisor's. You'd sell it a lot better if you popped by the supervisor's station/location for a "quick alignment discussion", with smiles and in a non-threatening way, to make sure you understood the requirements, and when, and how that is being measured, and his/her thoughts on it vs. yours.

I'd play that "new guy (gal)" card best you can by acting innocent. "What, me worry?" Just get aligned with the supervisor by (politely) confronting/heading off any issues. Even better, staying ahead of them. I call these drive-by conversations. They can take less than five minutes and transfer a lot of information. Daily or minimum couple times/week.
From what the OP has written I doubt if she/he's going to be able to grasp any of this. This is a Millenial looking for the helicopter parent IMO.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:37 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Never throw your own manager under the bus by arguing with them via e-mail and copying his supervisor. Bad move for someone on probation.
I agree. I would never do this. I would walk into your managers office and talk to them personally about it and what you need. Your manager will usually decide your fate. You're not really supposed to be critical of your manager to the person they report to. It's just something you can't do. I would honestly appologize to your manager for doing this and it will go a long way. Otherwise you will never get promoted because your next manager will be afraid of you making them look bad.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
OP I can relate when taking on a new role and just want to suggest on how to deal with learning a new type of position. Just make you get a huge notebook so you can write down as much as you can to avoid asking a lot of questions. Plus you will make a mistake because it's how you get better at the job as you continue to through the probation period. I had the same fear of wanting to avoid making too many mistakes but just had to accept that when you are on probation it's not a big deal. As long as you are not making the same mistake then you should pass probation with no problem.. Also don't get caught up in not receiving proper training and just accept it and learn the job the best way you can.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 PM

324 posts, read 427,288 times
I would agree with others that your reply was not the best move.

What was the tone of her email regarding the expectations? Have you had issues with her before this?

For what it's worth, showing initiative and quickly grasping the material is pretty much what's expected of employees these days.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 AM

366 posts, read 410,718 times
1. Never CC your boss' boss. I would be extremely displeased if my direct reports emailed me back CCing my boss with nothing but excuses. It makes you look bad, it makes your boss look bad and it annoys the bigger boss because it's not their responsibility to deal with you.

2. It is your job to learn this stuff. Get the resources you need, don't wait for people to come to you. Ask for help/information/whatever. Ask for a meeting with your supervisor and let her know the areas you feel you need more training. Go to her with solutions not problems.

3. Learn how to manage up.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
From what the OP has written I doubt if she/he's going to be able to grasp any of this. This is a Millenial looking for the helicopter parent IMO.
This is BS. You have no idea how old the OP is, and yet you're making a generalization about his age based on who knows what. At best, what I can determine from OP's post is that English is probably his/her's second language. There is nothing that indicates OP's age. If anything, OP's user name suggests s/he was born in 1967.

This is why I tend to avoid this sub. It's overcrowded by the likes of biased people like you. This is a Gen-X/Boomer Sympathizer/Millenial Basher sub at best. If you're under 35, it's best to avoid this sub at all costs.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM

306 posts, read 431,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aples1967 View Post
I just started a new job on April 21st. It's a union job with 6 months probation. I have been attending classes for the most time and maybe shadowing twice. Supervisor is to pushy and just going through things with me in a rush. Few days ago she emailed me and cc manager about what her expectations are. I emailed back basically letting her know that I need proper training g and this job takes time to learn. I also cc manager, and said that I am capable of doing my job but I need a little more time and proper training will bring success. What do you suggest to do to stop supervisor doing this to me?
Probably not good to tell your boss's boss that you need proper training.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
Probably not good to tell your boss's boss that you need proper training.
Well it needs to be said to someone because without proper training it will lead to major mistakes in the future.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 3,403 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This is BS. You have no idea how old the OP is, and yet you're making a generalization about his age based on who knows what. At best, what I can determine from OP's post is that English is probably his/her's second language. There is nothing that indicates OP's age. If anything, OP's user name suggests s/he was born in 1967.

This is why I tend to avoid this sub. It's overcrowded by the likes of biased people like you. This is a Gen-X/Boomer Sympathizer/Millenial Basher sub at best. If you're under 35, it's best to avoid this sub at all costs.
Yes, English is my second language, but I can write better. I was just in a hurry and did it through my phone. Just an update: My supervisor stopped after writing back to her about proper training. Everything is going well and she complimented on my work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment