Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 26,076 times

Advertisements

Basically, I graduated college in December 2014 with an English major. My school did not have a marketing major, so I stuck with an English major and had a couple of internships. Out of the 50 + jobs that I applied for, only 2 responded which was for a Project Coordinator and Assistant to an author promote his books and some overseeing of publishing. I was rejected from both jobs and didn't even get a response for other jobs though I have tried following up by phone calls and e-mails. I am really starting to feel like giving up since I feel that my credentials aren't that great though I thought they were.

Another factor is the fact that I have an ethnic looking name with an apostrophe (ex. La'tasha). There are times I think I am judged based on my name or is it really just the fact that I don't have enough credentials? I was trying to look for jobs that were an assistant position of marketing/communications and the only responses I would get it for sales jobs which I've heard are very competitive with high turn over rates.

I have my resume below with obvious stuff not included. I even had that and my cover letter checked by my career center at my college and it seemed good to them. Any advice or should I just try to get into something else since I am really feeling more lost and confused as to what I should do. I don't want to go to grad school since I do not have the money nor time to do so and I am about to move out soon.

My Resume:

Education

Major: Bachelor of Arts in English Literature December 2014
• GPA: 3.2

Work Experience:

Accounts Payable Administrator January 2015-Present
• Input and pay invoices in QuickBooks and match invoices to receiving documents.
• Effectively communicate with vendors, Receiving Manager, and store management regarding discrepancies.
• Communicate with Buyers regarding price changes from vendors.
• File invoices, receiving documents, and other miscellaneous documents.
• Assist controller with month end/year end closing reports.

February 2014-January 2015
Warehouse Associate
• Performed receiving, transferring, shipping, production, and housekeeping tasks.
• Received and unloaded truckloads of merchandise.
• Inspected incoming shipments for lost, damaged, or defective items and notify the supervisor of these findings.
• Sorted, counted, packaged, and label merchandise transferred to [Store's name] 9 stores.
• Operated dolly and cart to move products and boxes.
• Checked inventory to verify the availability of needed back stock.
• Maintained product stock and a clean, organized warehouse.

Communications Intern September 2013- November 2013

• Assisted with marketing strategies to raise awareness of [company name] and their painting classes, events, charities, and partnerships.
• Drafted and submitted press releases and flyers promoting upcoming events and partnerships.
• Developed a marketing campaign and oversaw implementation of the campaign.
• Assisted with writing E-blast Newsletters, press releases, flyers, and blogs.
• Assisted with daily operations of the store by answering phones, checking inventory, and un-packaging and stamping canvases.

Communications Intern May 2013- July 2013

• Assisted with marketing strategies for communications to raise awareness of domestic violence.
• Drafted e-mail newsletters that were sent to over 1,000 e-mail subscribers.
• Drafted press releases for events and created flyers for fundraising events.
• Wrote nominations for the [Local Magazine awards nominations] 2013.
• Developed Facebook schedule for status updates on [Company's name] page.
• Learned basic knowledge of Word Press and [company's software] for non-profit organizations.
• Completed donor related data entry in Word, Excel, and [specialty software].

Computer Skills:
Software: Microsoft 2013 Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and QuickBooks.
Applications: Wordpress, E-blast, [specialty software], Constant Contact and social media updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
You only have 6 months of experience as an intern in the field. That isn't very much, and anybody who graduated with a marketing degree is going to be viewed as more experienced.

If you really want to go into marketing, you are going to have to create your own opportunities. Since you are currently working in a retail company, see if they need assistance in their marketing department. Try to get cross-trained, assist them with a special project, help the merchandising people, something like that. Obviously some companies are going to be more receptive to this than others, but it is one way in which you can build your resume.

Another option would be to get a PT job in marketing for a small company. You might need to do this on a contract basis. Approach some small mom and pop shops with some ideas and see if they bite. If they do, you have built your resume in two ways; you are a successful entrepreneur and you have added something to your portfolio.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You only have 6 months of experience as an intern in the field. That isn't very much, and anybody who graduated with a marketing degree is going to be viewed as more experienced.

If you really want to go into marketing, you are going to have to create your own opportunities. Since you are currently working in a retail company, see if they need assistance in their marketing department. Try to get cross-trained, assist them with a special project, help the merchandising people, something like that. Obviously some companies are going to be more receptive to this than others, but it is one way in which you can build your resume.

Another option would be to get a PT job in marketing for a small company. You might need to do this on a contract basis. Approach some small mom and pop shops with some ideas and see if they bite. If they do, you have built your resume in two ways; you are a successful entrepreneur and you have added something to your portfolio.
I really have no idea where to start since I know I am lacking in the graphic design area since I do not have experience with Photoshop or Illustrator which is also hurting my chances as well. I don't feel the same drive to go back to school to do that at the moment due to money and time constraints. At my current job, they haven't let me help with projects but I only helped the marketing manager enter e-mails for E-blasts which is basic data entry.

Also, the company is currently growing and all my time is basically spent doing my own job since I don't really have time to assist the marketing manager anymore.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:22 PM

37 posts, read 43,058 times
Just a suggestion. Instead of this:

Computer Skills:
Applications: Wordpress, E-blast, [specialty software], Constant Contact and social media updating.

I would put something like:

Desktop Software Skills:
MS Office 2013 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), MS Outlook and QuickBooks.

Web and online skills(?):
Wordpress modification and updating, E-blast (specialty software for...), Constant Contact and social media feeding (?).

Again, just a suggestion

Old 05-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackoverflow View Post
Just a suggestion. Instead of this:

Computer Skills:

I would put something like:

Desktop Software Skills:
MS Office 2013 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), MS Outlook and QuickBooks.

Web and online skills(?):
Wordpress modification and updating, E-blast (specialty software for...), Constant Contact and social media feeding (?).

Again, just a suggestion
I don't even think this matters. It's so minor comparing to the true issue that my experience is not enough.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourishingButterfly View Post
I don't even think this matters. It's so minor comparing to the true issue that my experience is not enough.
Are you seriously going to just dismiss a well-meaning tip that's easy to implement? With your lack of experience, you need any way to look better that you can get.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM

37 posts, read 43,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourishingButterfly View Post
Actually it does. Keep in mind there are dozens of people applying with an education and work experience much the same as yours. Although ludicrous, employers will use any inconsistency in your resume to discard you. Again, because people with your education and skills-set are ...a dime a dozen (unfortunately). Sorry if I am being too harsh.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Take your GPA off the resume.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackoverflow View Post
Actually it does. Keep in mind there are dozens of people applying with an education and work experience much the same as yours. Although ludicrous, employers will use any inconsistency in your resume to discard you. Again, because people with your education and skills-set are ...a dime a dozen (unfortunately). Sorry if I am being too harsh.
I understand. I will try it but I wouldn't be surprised if I still don't get responses.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Take your GPA off the resume.
Have been told otherwise by the career center, so idk that's why I am so confused as to what the issue truly is. The rejection from the interviews were both the same, my qualifications weren't enough. Even after explaining the portfolio I have. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment