Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 PM

212 posts, read 821,894 times

Advertisements

what does your boss think about you using your sick leave and does he/she give you a hard time when you do use it, especially if you call in mondays or fridays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
what does your boss think about you using your sick leave and does he/she give you a hard time when you do use it, especially if you call in mondays or fridays.
Not really, but everybody is suspicious of Monday and Friday sicknesses , not just the boss. It's just ridiculous it has to be this way... Just call them personal days, so people don't have to pretend and be uncomfortable. Does anybody honestly think that if people happen to not get sick they'll let their sick days go unused... c'mon... Some companies just add sick and vacation days together and people use them as they see fit. That's how it should be everywhere.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Our sick days are called Personal Leave Days so you don't have to lie about being sick. If you want to take a day off, take a day off. No one cares why. These days are different from our Vacation Days.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
we have two versions of sick leave. One is called Paid Time Off (PTO) and the other is Long Term Sick Leave (LTSL). With PTO you can use that for everything from a personal day to a sick day to a just want to go to the beach today. Holiday pay falls in there as well. For example if you end up working a holiday you can use that time on another day. Within our organization employees that are with the company fromday one till there 5th year have earn 80 hours a year for there PTO. They are also given another 48 hours acrued over the year to use for PTO. After 5 years you end up with 120 hours plus the 48 hours. If you are sick use a PTO day. If you are heading for the beach use a PTO day. Once it is gone, its gone.

With LTSL you are given 48 hours a year that can only be used if you are sick for longer than three continuous days. The fourth day would be a LTSL day and we would need a Doctors note after the 3rd day. If you never use the LTSL the balance will sit in an acount untill you have over 240 hours of time accumilated. Anything above 240 hours is given back to the employee after the last pay period in November. I usually get a check each year for 48 hours of time.

If we want we can also cash out up to 80 hours of PTO a year as long as we leave at least 40 hours in the account. In addition you can't keep more than 320 hours in the PTO account or you will stop acruing any time. That rule changed a few years back. We had several people that had over 600 hours of time built up. They were allowed to cash it out.

The real question is do they get upset if we call out. I would say it would depend how busy we are. I work in a Hospital and there are times that it gets very busy. When the hospital is full they may not like it for us to call out for the day.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
I work in the Fed Gov. I was in use/lose status. I asked for a Friday off. That so & so said, why? You are going to be off next Friday. I said, I'm in use/lose. He tried to talk me of out the leave. He agreed, so I took Monday as well. Needless to say, without telling him. I played innocent on Tuesday. I thought I ...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,538 times
am having am issue regaurding my boss. He is on vacation and will be back soon while he was off I went to the doctor concerning issues I have been having in my arms and hands that have been bothering me for years. But recently have progressed much further then I even realized. The doctor wants me off work right away along with the therapist. some of my problems will need to be treated surgicaly while others may just need therapy.. I am a very good worker and have been working through this pain for years, not to my own good. Now I need to tell my boss I will be off, for a considerable time and I am afraid to approach him. He is not understanding when issue complicate his life and I am affraid I will look like a weak link. does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach him without looking like I am not a team player

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
No, she doesn't care. I don't have to actually talk to a person, I can put it in through the computer at home. Also, if you don't abuse your leave, it is even less noticeable if I am out. I think I have over 800 hours of leave saved up.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
We didn't get sick leave and they bitched when you did call in sick.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roonboosmom View Post
am having am issue regaurding my boss. He is on vacation and will be back soon while he was off I went to the doctor concerning issues I have been having in my arms and hands that have been bothering me for years. But recently have progressed much further then I even realized. The doctor wants me off work right away along with the therapist. some of my problems will need to be treated surgicaly while others may just need therapy.. I am a very good worker and have been working through this pain for years, not to my own good. Now I need to tell my boss I will be off, for a considerable time and I am afraid to approach him. He is not understanding when issue complicate his life and I am affraid I will look like a weak link. does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach him without looking like I am not a team player
You should get your Doctor's recommendation in writing. Your health is the number 1 priority. If the jerk wad doesn't understand that, then it's his loss and you could file a lawsuit.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
I find most employers just take your word for it (being sick or having an appt) unless its obvious your abusing the system.

If we didn't use them by year's end we lost all those hours, so, yes I'll admit, I used a few sick days as normal days off (during the year) to keep from losing those hours needlessly. The regular time off, we never lost, it keeps growing.

I even once said I had a doctor's appt just to take the car to the mechanic (a car doctor?). I know thats bad and a good example of abuse, but they never cared enough to look into it. Unless I did it constantly, they never would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment