Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:25 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
No one gave you the freedom to extort the working class! NO ONE.

This is BULLCRAP:

Those who extort now under that label will find a new label to extort, and the cost of products will still be upped 2000%.
There is no working class. I don't recognize that concept. There are individual people with individual freedom and individual rights and individual jobs. Working "class" be damned. You are not part of a class, you stand alone in the United States of America. That's what makes this country BETTER than all the other countries. You are worth what you can do and what you bring to your own life. You are worth what you accomplish with the freedom you have been given by the men who wrote our Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Bring back the whips, child labor and 20 hour days every day except for Sunday (church!)! 'Murica!!

Never mind that in every other developed country, employers are required to provide paid time off (and a lot of it, compared to your sweatshop fantasy), paid maternity leave, to not fire employees on a whim, not demand employees to work 60 hour weeks, etc.

On this entire planet, there are are only two countries that don't require paid maternity leave to be offered:

One is Papua New Guinea....as in, the third world country overrun by violent gangs, poverty, and still practices cannibalism in some parts.

The other is the US.

Yep. Just America and Papua New Guinea.
Greece, don't forget Greece!

Greece: Employee rights

Modern ruins: the ghost factories of Greece – in pictures

Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
WOW! So you're not only delusional, you're a dictator too! Because u assume everyone can borrow millions of dollars & work on Wall Street or be the CEO of Walmart!!! Let me guess, you want all women to die here too right??? U republicans are THE plague that destroyed this nation! WOW!!!!
You called me Ebenezer Scrooge and a Robber Baron. I can respect that. But please don't ever, ever, ever call me a Republican.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
America ranks worse than Thailand and Brazil and in the same league as Peru, Botswana, Iran and Burma. There is definitely a major problem with our workers' rights here when you consider even many dirt poor Third World countries have more protections than we do.
Yet our standard of living is higher than theirs...

Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no working class. I don't recognize that concept. There are individual people with individual freedom and individual rights and individual jobs. Working "class" be damned. You are not part of a class, you stand alone in the United States of America. That's what makes this country BETTER than all the other countries. You are worth what you can do and what you bring to your own life. You are worth what you accomplish with the freedom you have been given by the men who wrote our Constitution and Declaration of Independence.
Blah blah blah.

I'll sign up for Libertarianism when I can actually start a small business without being taxed and regulated up the ass. And when you don't have to worry about being sued for looking at someone the wrong way.

What you forget is that there's a huge barrier to entry into the market.

So there needs to be either a free market for all, or everyone and everything should be effectively (not just theoretically) subject to regulation.

Anything in between is cakey-eatey.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:49 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
There is NO SUCH THING AS A LIVING WAGE. You are not entitled and do not have a right to ANY SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF MONEY no matter how much you need or want it. You have a right to ask for a certain pay, and trade your time and talent for that amount voluntarily and without compulsion. No employer has ANY OBLIGATION to feed you or clothe you or give you benefits or insurance or medicine or a happy old age. THAT, MY OLD FRIEND, IS ALL ON YOU AND YOU ALONE
And no labor union or association has any obligation to keep any company in business. If the company cannot survive with union represented workers it hasn't earned its survival. If you want to participate in the market, and need to employ people you have to accept the conditions of which they choose to be employed.

That's a truly free market.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:55 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
IN response to the quoted items below:

--There are many European nations that would probably disagree with your point of view.
--Jesus Christ would *definitely* disagree, with your point of view. His guidance was that one should do whatever one can to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and show compassion towards the poor and the impoverished. There is more of course and I could go on, quoting exactly what he said, but I think you get the picture...

Quote:
There is NO SUCH THING AS A LIVING WAGE. You are not entitled and do not have a right to ANY SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF MONEY no matter how much you need or want it. You have a right to ask for a certain pay, and trade your time and talent for that amount voluntarily and without compulsion. No employer has ANY OBLIGATION to feed you or clothe you or give you benefits or insurance or medicine or a happy old age. THAT, MY OLD FRIEND, IS ALL ON YOU AND YOU ALONE.

There are low level, low talent jobs, and they WILL NEVER, and SHOULD NEVER, be thought of as sufficient to pay for an existence that includes a house, car, kids, etc. A happy and productive life will require MORE. That's just LIFE. Just because you take a job does not mean you can DEMAND that said job provide enough for you to live in a manner you deem to be satisfactory.

NO OBLIGATION. ZERO.

So if part time at Walmart is the extent of your capability, that means no kids, no house, a cheap car if any, roomates, Minute Rice, and a social life that is mainly hiking or reading in the library, or free downloads.

If that's not good enough for you, then you have a PERSONAL and INDIVIDUAL problem to solve. You will have to UP YOUR GAME. Because DOWN GAMES do not, cannot, should not, and will not support a dignified and complex existence in modern society. So is it "Get better or die?" Well, yeah, it is. And that's a good thing because demanding better from people usually results in better from people.

And as far as the collectivist economists, they can go screw, as they are the problem, not the solution. There is no "fair" minimum wage. A minimum wage is, by definition and calculation, PRICE FIXING, THEFT, and MORALLY BANKRUPT. Period. It shouldn't be increased, it shouldn't be indexed, it shouldn't be considered at all. IT SHOULD BE ABOLISHED.

Wages should be set by the market, meaning by free and unencumbered PRIVATE negotiation. There should be no 3rd party sticking their nose in the private economic affairs of others.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:26 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread is temporarily closed. Everybody step back, take a deep breath and chill. Some inappropriate posts have been deleted; more may follow.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment