Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM

6,587 posts, read 11,272,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I am a manager at a large accounting firm and have about 30 people in my immediate group. People in my group tend to get away with a lot of stuff (working from home whenever they want, making their own work schedules..). ...
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but ... THIS^^, is the real issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:58 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,610,356 times
Quote:
should I just get over it and realize he will be gone eventually?
Unless you are in a position to fire him, you are just going to have to get over it. Sometimes life just sucks.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:05 PM

666 posts, read 477,671 times
I don't have control to fire him. There are multiple managers in my group and we all report up to a partner. The partner has the control to fire him. The partner keeps the slackers around for a "business" reason. It takes a lot for him to actually fire someone. The only control I have is to report the behavior to him and document it in a review. The problem is that the partner does not work directly with the problem employees so he doesn't see how it effects the group. I am unhappy about it and so are all his coworkers that have to pick up the slack.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,730,365 times
Quote:
I don't have control to fire him. There are multiple managers in my group and we all report up to a partner. The partner has the control to fire him. The partner keeps the slackers around for a "business" reason. It takes a lot for him to actually fire someone. The only control I have is to report the behavior to him and document it in a review. The problem is that the partner does not work directly with the problem employees so he doesn't see how it effects the group. I am unhappy about it and so are all his coworkers that have to pick up the slack.
In that case, you need to get over it. Your boss is letting him get away with it. It definitely sucks!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,201,370 times
Quote:
I am a manager at a large accounting firm and have about 30 people in my immediate group. People in my group tend to get away with a lot of stuff (working from home whenever they want, making their own work schedules..). We have one staff who has been with the firm less than 2 yrs and we are having major problems with. He had approached all of the managers back in October that he had some family issues and would need some flexibility in his work schedule. We were very upset to hear about his family issues and agreed to let him take his flexibility but that he would need to let everyone know if he needed to take off or work from home. Ever since that day, he has been coming in to work probably at most twice a week and then working on his own time. Not once has he emailed anyone to let us know of his schedule. When he does come to the office he leaves at whatever time he feels (12 pm/2pm). He has no regard for any work deadline and does not seem interested in the work at all. We send out work meetings each week and he doesn't feel he needs to respond to those either. He also said he would only work with certain people so he made everyone rearrange their client schedules for him. I find him completely disrespectful and rude. I submitted a work review for him with my concerns and he still does whatever he wants. So the issue is now that one of the bosses sent out an email with tickets to a baseball game in the firm's box. Whoever writes back the fastest gets the tickets. I wrote back and got tickets and apparently this staff did not but one of his friends went out of his way to lie and say he would like to take a client to the box and is bringing the staff to the game with him. I am appalled. This guy does not deserve tickets let alone a paycheck. There are sooo many hardworking people in our group that would love to have the tickets. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from going or should I just get over it and realize he will be gone eventually?

How about focusing on the real issue in regards to this "staff" and do what needs to be done to fire him?

The baseball tiket issue is less than trivial besides that if you already know the other "staff" lied about taking a client take those tickets away from him and give them to someone who is not "staff".
Then do what is necessary to fire the "staff" who is the liar.

If everyone who is directly affected by the behavior of the staff perhaps they should all get together and revoke his work at home status and require him to come into the office daily.
Then they should gather together and have a group meeting with the owners, partners, whomever all of you report to and get this issue out in the open, discussed and fixed.
Then maybe you should look for another job where there is no fighting over baseball tickets.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,404 times
I think the real problem is the OP lack of grammer. I was confused after the first sentence.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

That employee that lied about taking a client is another manager that also has learned to work the system. He is on a flexible work arrangement and takes off every Friday for no reason. He does not have kids, family or any issue in that he needs a flexible work arrangement. I am going to make sure to mention this incident to the partner. He will probably do nothing though as usual. It is a shame.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:26 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,657,502 times
So it sounds like you are more worried about what everyone else is doing other than your own duties....

Life isn't fair. This is beginning to sound more like my kids arguing over who gets the last ice cream...

Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM

I do my own duties and what is required by my job. You would be okay with making the same paycheck as someone who comes to work once a week and is living the life while you're working hard?

Old 05-13-2015, 01:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,980,722 times
Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment