Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:46 AM

450 posts, read 597,559 times

Advertisements

Not too long ago most folks came to work regularly and on time too. They called in sick when they really were sick and could prove it if asked. They didn't lie to their employers or make excuses for poor performance or mistakes.
Recently one of my company's supervisors came upon an employee who claimed he was sick moving computers in his brother in law's computer store. Heavy ones too. He fired the liar on the spot, which ignited a legal action.
After a lengthy battle the liar was reinstated and given back pay.
Does this seem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
Yes.

People use sick pay whether they are sick or not.

It has always been like this.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Not too long ago most folks came to work regularly and on time too. They called in sick when they really were sick and could prove it if asked. They didn't lie to their employers or make excuses for poor performance or mistakes.
When was this magical time??

Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 AM

I personally like using sick hours if I am interviewing at another position, planning a day vacation to go to a theme park or something, having work done at my house, errands, etc.

Does that make your blood boil? Aww...

If I am not sick and have accrued sick time that will be gone at the end of the year and not carry over, why in the world would I not use it for whatever reason I see fit?

If my personal hours carry over, it would be silly for me to not use my sick time first.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
This is why I prefer PTO. You don't have to fake being sick like a school child if you need a day off for personal matters.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I'd need to know more. Firstly, what was this "sickness?" If it was a common cold, I can understand the employee wanting to stay away so as to not get his co-workers sick, but still feeling obligated to help his brother out (its another thing to get one's brother sick I suppose ). Now, if the employee claimed he was out with a back injury and was caught lifting, that's another story.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
I personally like using sick hours if I am interviewing at another position, planning a day vacation to go to a theme park or something, having work done at my house, errands, etc.

Does that make your blood boil? Aww...

If I am not sick and have accrued sick time that will be gone at the end of the year and not carry over, why in the world would I not use it for whatever reason I see fit?

If my personal hours carry over, it would be silly for me to not use my sick time first.
Maybe because you have personal integrity and using sick days when you just want to do things other than work is dishonest? That was my thinking when I worked. I've known people who have used sick leave, run out of it, and then come into work sick. I get your logic, along with everyone else who sees it like you, I just think it implicates a bent moral compass.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Maybe because you have personal integrity and using sick days when you just want to do things other than work is dishonest? That was my thinking when I worked. I've known people who have used sick leave, run out of it, and then come into work sick. I get your logic, along with everyone else who sees it like you, I just think it implicates a bent moral compass.
Personal integrity is negated by using sick hours for personal use while working for a large corporation in which the main goal is to benefit its shareholders? Really? Just because you know people who use sick leave and then come into work sick doesn't mean everyone who uses sick leave once in a while for their own personal use fall into this category. I also know people who have your mentality in the work place, but are completely inefficient at their job responsibilities.

My personal integrity revolves around being a good person, treating others with respect, and not doing anything that will negatively affect another person.

If my work is done when it has to be and it doesn't affect my team or coworkers, I will absolutely use my sick hours if I know the end of the year is coming and they will go away if I don't.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:12 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
How shocking... Companies begin to treat employees like dogturd with lying to them, taking advantage of them, screwing them over , yet are shocked or angry when employees reciprocate?

Love how employers can get away with every little dirty deed in the book yet employees are expected to be up front, perfect with loads of integrity. ROFLMAO

What you are seeing from the employees today is backlashing after these past half a dozen years of getting treated like snot by their employers

Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 AM

306 posts, read 431,474 times
Why do you want to make sure somebody's sick? Most employees are adults, not kids.

If the liar was reinstated, there's the implication that something wrong may have been done on the employer's side. The judge could've been pro-union, but it's less likely.

Employers have way too much power nowadays. Running your credit and everything to decide if somebody can do a job. Soon they're going to want you to download an app so they can track everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment