Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

This forum and our conduct in it is a reflection or our lives.

Maybe someone cut us off on the freeway going to work. Maybe a co-worker stabbed us in the back. Maybe we had a fight with our spouse. So on and so forth.

And so we use this forum to vent and get rid of our bitterness and spite the world seems to send our way.

Hence, all the negativity and sarcasm and need to insult and cut others down. Just a sign of the times I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
You are very lucky. Most people in America, a country with a workers' rights record more similar to China and India than to countries that are supposedly our peers, are not nearly as fortunate as yourself, so to accuse them of being ungrateful whiners is a tad arrogant.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
its easy to be a nose-picker and naysayer.....

its easy to put down anything you can...

its no effort to complain, ***** an moan...

life is what you make of it,,usually its mirrored,,,what you give you get..

many nosepickers in many forums,,

in the MAINE forum,,,you wouldn't think their is ONE job opening in the whole state,,,
never do the leg-humpers take the time to even do a google search,,,,,just easy to be gloom and doom..

part of maturity.... is feeling comfortable in your own skin,,and just because someone chooses to be a downer,,,,doesn't mean it rubs on you,,,
actually you take it for motivation....thinking this guy must be one miserable s.o.b.
but your attitude is what you make of it!!

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
You are very lucky. Most people in America, a country with a workers' rights record more similar to China and India than to countries that are supposedly our peers, are not nearly as fortunate as yourself, so to accuse them of being ungrateful whiners is a tad arrogant.
Most people in America? You don't think that's a little blown out of proportion?

Probably around 90 of people in this country are employed if you take into account those who have stopped looking. Certainly more than half of that group is doing a job that pays them adequately for their skills and experience.

I'd go so far as to argue that the majority of people in America are doing just fine.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so... how do you decide who is an employer? Outside of being the sole owner, everyone is normally "employed" if they want a paycheck, even the CEO if he has a board to report to.
I was thinking more "rank and file employees" vs "managers". I should have used those terms instead.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,000,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can say for a fact you can get just about any job in this country with or without a degree. There are different paths in order to get there but the result is the same. Of course you can't be a professor or certain education jobs but just about every job out there from CEO to engineers are held by people who have and don't have degrees.
You can't become a Civil Engineer without a degree. You can't even claim to be one without a degree. You also can't sit for the PE without a degree now. I don't consider Project Engineers as Engineers. That's more project management.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
You can't become a Civil Engineer without a degree. You can't even claim to be one without a degree. You also can't sit for the PE without a degree now. I don't consider Project Engineers as Engineers. That's more project management.
That's an interesting concept. I work in telecom and there are a ton of people here who claim to be engineers with no formal education outside of OTJ training. My director claims to be an engineer and he only has a high school diploma. I think this is pretty prevalent in telecom though. It's like me calling myself a doctor because I subscribe to WebMD.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
I agree with you. I think I stopped noticing, or maybe adjusted my expectations of this forum, but I remember the first few times I wandered in and read some threads. Every single time it left me feeling deflated, even if the complaints were not situations I'd ever encounter. It definitely left me feeling pretty hopeless for a loved one who has had a non-traditional working life and will need to enter the job market soon...

The explanations people have come up with are reasonable, too - this is one forum where people mainly come to vent. This is a forum full of people who have been disappointed in their job searches. So it's not so bad once the reader realizes that this is not necessarily an accurate microcosm of the working world. But the negativity can certainly be a shock, at first.

I definitely always feel for the people who wander in and post, hoping for gentle encouragement. This is not the place for that.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
There are many people at the top, your boss or our bosses in general without the proper degree and credentials. They're setting the bar high so they can weed out people by enforcing degree requirements.

I looked at somebody's background on the Company's databases and always wonder "Gee, how did this hack get to be boss with no degree or just a simple English major degree."

Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are many people at the top, your boss or our bosses in general without the proper degree and credentials. They're setting the bar high so they can weed out people by enforcing degree requirements.

I looked at somebody's background on the Company's databases and always wonder "Gee, how did this hack get to be boss with no degree or just a simple English major degree."
Being the boss and doing a technical job are two different things. You can be a good boss but not necessarily be great at the technical aspect of the job. Many great coaches in professional sports had sub-par playing careers, if any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment