Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:54 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times

Advertisements

I would fire you. good luck having a job when you get back.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM

102 posts, read 244,548 times
I would have told them during the interview. I had a planned trip once after I had just gotten a job but it was only for a few days. You should have held off until after the vacation and then got a job. Unfortunately your 2 options are quit so you can go on vacation and just get another job, or don't go on vacation.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
It comes down to which is ore important to you-the job you had so much trouble getting, or a vacation.

Mutually exclusive, no doubt. You can only choose one.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:45 AM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
Wow, 3 weeks?! Where ya going and what are you doing there?

Is it possible to shorten your trip? You may succeed at getting 1 week off, but don't count on all 3.
Regardless, tell your boss now and work your rear off in the meantime. Good luck staying employed.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
Ok so I just got a part time job at CVS. I will be a cashier. I also have a planned vacation in a month. This vacation is going to be 3 weeks long. Is it frowned upon to go on vacation shortly after getting hired?? I don't want to upset my bosses. I really need this job. I'm 21 and have a horrendous resume. Will they even let me go on vacation?? I have no idea how it works. I will just not go on vacation if that is what is best. I am just wondering how I should handle this awkward situation. I know they can easily replace me, so I'm worried.
If a new hire sprang this on me, their butt would be leaving skid marks on the sidewalk by the end of the day.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Don't take it personally. The manager's going to be a jerk to you; so be a jerk and take your vacation.
And be sure to update your resume during that "vacation", cause you are not going to have a job to come back to, and that crummy resume just got worse!!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlesshuman View Post
For the record, I spent the last 3 years worrying. I worry every day that I'm going to end up homeless and not achieve anything out of life, because I'm such a failure. Every job I have gotten in the past has been a failure because of my low self esteem and crippling social anxiety. I'm trying my best to better myself and one my main goals is to get a job. I didn't wait until I was 21. I've just been through years of failure, because I'm a low functioning human. That is why my resume is atrocious. I am lucky my parents are so understanding and don't kick me out. Without them, I'd definitely be homeless and probably dead.

I can afford a three-week vacation, because I'm not paying for it. My parents planned it and didn't even ask me if I had summer plans before buying the tickets. On top of that, I kind of just assumed I wouldn't get a job, because I get rejected by 95% of employers because of my anxiety. And that's why I didn't tell my employer that I was going on vacation - because I'm desperate. This job is really important to me, because it seems like a good fit - low hours in a low traffic store. I think it will be a good way for me to build confidence, so I can finally become a functioning human without being overwhelmed in the process like I have many times in the past.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's replies. I have decided to just not go on vacation.

Skip the vacation. Working and being independent for 3 weeks will help your self esteem. I have anxiety too. Try to get professional help for that.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If a new hire sprang this on me, their butt would be leaving skid marks on the sidewalk by the end of the day.
I agree. Especially give the type of work, the OP's age, and work history. I might be okay with a couple days, but no way would I wait three weeks. OP hasn't earned the right to make that kind of request yet.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
21---CVS cashier job.

At least ask them. I am sure they might be a bit horrified that you were just hired and now asking for vacation time.

If you were 30ish and just got a career job, I would say give up the vacation.

21--you are only young once with little responsibility (owning a home, bill paying, having children). Go on the vacation. There are a dime a dozen CVS jobs.

Next time in the interview tell them you have an upcoming vacation already planned.

And change your user name...something like SuperWoman--so you can start believing in yourself.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
How can you afford to vacation for 3 weeks, at age 21, yet need a part time low wage job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment