Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some of the franchise owners I know of McD or 7/11 made about the same as the employees for years.
I always wondered who falls for those "make $8,000 a month from home" scams. I think this thread is showing us the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM

74 posts, read 103,088 times
I've never dared to work in fast food. It seems like a nightmare. Not only does it look fastpaced and stressful as hell, the stigma man... the stigma... All for $9/hr....

Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Exactly, and a teen who is still in high school should not be making more than someone who is 22 or older.
Well actually they should if they bring more value to the job. People get paid based on what they contribute to an enterprise, nothing else matters nor should it. Do the job better, you're more valuable. The fact that your phone costs you $140 a month has absolutely no bearing on what your wage should be.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Well actually they should if they bring more value to the job. People get paid based on what they contribute to an enterprise, nothing else matters nor should it. Do the job better, you're more valuable. The fact that your phone costs you $140 a month has absolutely no bearing on what your wage should be.
No teenager who is still living under their parents roof and still in high school should never ever been making more money than someone who has graduated college. I am referring to the many workers demanding the minimum wage be increased to $15 an hour.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
No teenager who is still living under their parents roof and still in high school should never ever been making more money than someone who has graduated college.
Really? So a 17 year old high school senior who's ingenuity, talent, resourcefulness and work ethic has resulted in him earning more in his spare time than his recently graduated 24 year old sibling makes in his first entry level job should be somehow penalized for it? How would you suggest that be done and why? Please share.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
A comedian once joked how everyone should have to work 1 year minimum in customer service. Close enough!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The new wave of manufacturing comes in the form of CNC machining. And yes, salaries for CNC machinists and Programmers are healthy. People just don't know what to look for and automatically assume there are no middle class jobs.
CNC jobs have been growing at a steady pace for years, now, and are in pretty high demand everywhere.

As a person who was always HIRING CNC machinists and programmers over the past 20 years, there are many low wage people who CANNOT operate that equipment. There are three reasons why we rejected MOST potential applicants:

1) Failed drug tests. I am NOT going to hire a drug user to operate a $600k CNC cell.
2) Inability to read a basic computer screen.
3) Inability to perform SIMPLE arithmetic calculations. I gave my 4th grade nephew a copy of the math test required for the position and he scored 90%; nearly 40% of applicants could not pass. Some of the difficult questions included 1/4 = x/16ths.

And all these people CLAIMED to be high school graduates.

I cannot count the number of professionals that I have met (RNs, CPAs, restaurant managers, and the like) who have started at McDonald's.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Seems like there's few fields these days where it's not a high stress environment where you're not skipping breaks, forced overtime whether you want it or not, etc.... I can see why some people don't want to put up with it. If the system is broken....

People are worth what they demand they are worth. Too many people settle for low wages these days. If people simply did not take these jobs they'd be forced to pay higher wages or close up.. they can close up and grind the economy to a halt for all I care.

My factory pays well.. I make over $20 per hour which is good enough for me, all without a college degree.. I consider myself lucky in this regard.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Seems like there's few fields these days where it's not a high stress environment where you're not skipping breaks, forced overtime whether you want it or not, etc.... I can see why some people don't want to put up with it. If the system is broken....

People are worth what they demand they are worth. Too many people settle for low wages these days. If people simply did not take these jobs they'd be forced to pay higher wages or close up.. they can close up and grind the economy to a halt for all I care.

My factory pays well.. I make over $20 per hour which is good enough for me, all without a college degree.. I consider myself lucky in this regard.

Not once were we ever required to skip a break.... we may have to defer it for 20 or 30 minutes if it got busy, but we were required to take our breaks. I've been at the counter before to order food and witnessed management tell people to take their breaks as well.

It's also rare for them to force overtime on people also. But if you want to compare that, many of us work overtime now whether we want to or not so that is a mute point.

People are worth what they demand they are worth if they work their way into better positions. These jobs are worth what the market will bear, not what people demand.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,388 times
I just walk out without ordering if I see a mcdonalds is obviously running short handed. I can't take the high blood pressure and rage that results from having my money taken (they always move quickly and efficiently when it comes to that part of the exchange) and then waiting around for 10 minutes at a supposed fast food place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment