Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,065,501 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get a good career job to where you can make good money without going to college? I have a learning disability and when I was in school I was in Special Education, I am currently employed at a department store and I've been working there for over eight years and I am regarded as one of the best employees the store has ever had, I'm still a part time employee and I want to get a job to where I can make good money and get well rewarded for my hard work (a nice home, nice clothes, lots of $ and a nice car) without having to attend college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,239,939 times
I can let you know that anything is possible. There are a lot of great people that have learning disabilities that have done very well. Are you familiar with the founder of Kinko's? He has a learing disability that he admits to and was able to build a multi national copy company from the ground up. He also sold that business for hundreds of millions. Kinko's is now a part of FedEx.

Whoopie Goldburg the Actress is dyslexic, I hope I spelled that right.

The list goes on and on.

I have to tell you though that find something that you are really good at. Look at your life and ask others to look at your life and tell you honestly what they think you are good at. If you can find something that you are good at, you will do fine. If you find something that you are better at than everyone else you know, chances are you will make a lot of money at it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,404,858 times
I know LD folks (mostly dyslexia, ADHD) who work in sales, like outside commission sales not retail sales, which requires mostly people skills and not much reading and writing and the chance to move around as they drive customer to customer. Also I know a few who do theatre set design and construction.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM

732 posts, read 4,151,022 times
I make near $70,000 a year without college. I even dropped out of highschool. But it took me alot of time with my company.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM

5,694 posts, read 11,252,380 times
Mopac, the world is filled with opportunities for people who are motivated and willing put whatever talents they have to work. There are still many other ways besides a traditional 4 year college program to obtain skills that will help you move up in your long term career. Your writing skills seem to be good, and you obviously have some computer skills too. Good communications and computer skills are important for any good job. The retail business is a tough place to make good money as a long term career, compared to other career areas. Retail and restaurants are both considered as "first steps" into the working world for young people, so there are always many willing to take those jobs for a low salary. That holds down salaries for almost everyone else in retail.
Do you have any interests in technology or mechanical equipment? There are many vocational training opportunities out there for people who have the ability to learn electronics, power systems, etc where job opportunities with strong salaries (well above 70K per year) are within reach. Do you live near a community college? They have all sorts of vocational training programs to check into. Good luck to you.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:09 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,269 posts, read 8,629,649 times
Get a Trade
Plumber, Electrician, Welder, Pipe Fitter,
Work for a Oil Refinery, Electric or Gas Supplier, State, City or County,
Become a cop, firemen, prison guard....
they are out there you just have to look...........

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM

148 posts, read 736,622 times
UPS man!! Best insurance around, Teamsters Union, VERY well payed! Stressful at times, but it definitely pays off!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 PM

732 posts, read 4,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
UPS man!! Best insurance around, Teamsters Union, VERY well payed! Stressful at times, but it definitely pays off!
I'm a UPS driver in Orlando brother!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,154,131 times
Yes, it is possible. I have a friend who makes over $100,000 per year and never finished high school. He has his own business with a bunch of guys working for him. But, he also has uncommon street smarts and lots of common sense. That to me is something you're born with and develop through life. I would stack him up against anyone with a master's degree when it came to running a business.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,650,008 times
There's real estate and insurance. I don't think you need a college education for those.

Also, I don't know what state you're in, but they should have an apprenticeship program, some for the trades mentioned by previous posters and some others. Apprenticeship Website, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment