Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you work for a company that sells products you would not purchase yourself?
Yes 70 88.61%
No 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times

Advertisements

I'm completely flummoxed. You're an accountant? If you were applying for a direct sales position, it might be of concern if the position required you to sell something you felt was a piece of trash or in any way offended you. But you're a numbers-cruncher - why on earth is this situation a dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the only reason I'm asking is because I have been phone interviewing with a company that targets the 20-30 age group for clothing, but I'm 31 years old now. The company is located in Columbus, OH, which is a place that I am very interested in relocating to, but I was just wondering if this should be a deal breaker.
There is a difference between selling clothing that you don't like or is below your age (a year is truly nothing) and selling something you know is bad for someone (say a diet pill that can cause health issues).

In retail especially not everyone likes the clothes they sell. You have to learn to embrace the style and understand how to help someone put clothes together. Liking it is not a requirement.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:59 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
Quote:
Well, the only reason I'm asking is because I have been phone interviewing with a company that targets the 20-30 age group for clothing, but I'm 31 years old now. The company is located in Columbus, OH, which is a place that I am very interested in relocating to, but I was just wondering if this should be a deal breaker.
We get that. A deal breaker? You are creating issues just to create issues.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM

308 posts, read 365,277 times
Quote:
Tomorrow I have an interview with a company that sounds like a great place to work and would be good development for my career, except for one thing: I would not be interested in buying their products. They sell clothing that I would never care to purchase for myself, because it's not my style.

I have also seen job opportunities with companies that sell things such as baby products, but chose not to apply to those jobs, because I am 31 years old and would never care to purchase baby products.

What about in your opinion? Would you work at a corporation (headquarters) that is in the business of selling products that you would never purchase for yourself?
In their corporate offices? No, I would not have a problem. It would be difficult though to work in a retail location as a salesperson... in fact, I would find that impossible. I have to believe in/like the product in order to do that.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,107,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Seriously nep?! You're an accountant. It doesn't matter. Leave it to you to obsess about a clothing line one year off from your age. Maybe it will help retain your youth!
It's a job take it pople are to dam picky today take the job it pays the bills.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,144,993 times
Quote:
Well, it's a company that sells clothing that targets the 20 to 30 age group. But now I'm 31.
Haha. People your age always attribute too much significance to the change-over from your twenties to your thirties. It's just an arbitrary number. Real aging, both physically and mentally, tends to happen in the latter half of your thirties. At 31, you're still as much a young person as someone who's 27. (There are exceptions - this is in general).

(Also, this is a rather silly question. Has no childless person ever worked for a diaper company? Has no meat-eater ever sold vegan burgers? Of course they have. People have been selling products they don't necessarily use since the dawn of sales).

Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Yeah that's what I thought too. It's not like the corporation expects all of its employees to be 20-30 years old. I don't even think a corporation could really succeed like that anyway.

Yeah, I would be a corporate tax accountant in the back offices.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 AM

22,413 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought too. It's not like the corporation expects all of its employees to be 20-30 years old. I don't even think a corporation could really succeed like that anyway.
So why are you thinking this is a deal breaker?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
Quote:
What about in your opinion? Would you work at a corporation (headquarters) that is in the business of selling products that you would never purchase for yourself?
Pretty much the dumbest thing I ever heard. So you would never consider being the cancer researcher, because you don't have cancer? Never be a pharmaceutical sales rep because you don't use the anti-depression medication your company is selling? Don't work for a tractor sales company because, hey I don't own a farm?!!!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Pretty much the dumbest thing I ever heard. So you would never consider being the cancer researcher, because you don't have cancer? Never be a pharmaceutical sales rep because you don't use the anti-depression medication your company is selling? Don't work for a tractor sales company because, hey I don't own a farm?!!!
Well I don't know...I thought that people should be working for companies that have a service or product in which they are supportive of and interested in. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment