Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 40s but I got a STEM degree recently (2009). I had a decent enviro job for a few years but got laid off last fall due to lack of work projects. I collected UI through the winter but there are not many jobs in my field to apply for around here. I have savings, no debt, and only a few basic living expenses (frugal). Lifestyle design. I'm really not too motivated to look for a job. Why should I give up most of my time for a crummy $12/hr job? I can live off my savings for quite a while. The hiking and biking around here is great and I know several other people long unemployed by choice, they live cheap and enjoy their time.

Most people I talk to that have great jobs often seem a bit envious of all the free time I have (even though they have a lot more money and stuff than I do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I'm in my late 40s but I got a STEM degree recently (2009). I had a decent enviro job for a few years but got laid off last fall due to lack of work projects. I collected UI through the winter but there are not many jobs in my field to apply for around here. I have savings, no debt, and only a few basic living expenses (frugal). Lifestyle design. I'm really not too motivated to look for a job. Why should I give up most of my time for a crummy $12/hr job? I can live off my savings for quite a while. The hiking and biking around here is great and I know several other people long unemployed by choice, they live cheap and enjoy their time.

Most people I talk to that have great jobs often seem a bit envious of all the free time I have (even though they have a lot more money and stuff than I do).
The problem is that cuts into your savings/retirement.

Even very basic living cuts pretty deep.

$12/hr ends up being around 20K a year after taxes. So, if you live frugally that might be a wash with your living costs and on top of that, the job is probably pretty easy, so you can still enjoy your free time.

OTOH, if you don't work at all, 20K a year lost is killer.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The problem is that cuts into your savings/retirement.

Even very basic living cuts pretty deep.

$12/hr ends up being around 20K a year after taxes. So, if you live frugally that might be a wash with your living costs and on top of that, the job is probably pretty easy, so you can still enjoy your free time.

OTOH, if you don't work at all, 20K a year lost is killer.
I can either have time or money. I don't know how limited (or not) my time is. None of us knows how long we will live. How do we want our lives to be? How do we want to spend our time? Americans are obsessed with money and work to the exclusion of almost everything else.

I can always make more money later (or whenever). I had a pretty nice cushy easy job at a nice company with nice people, but the 40 hour week was killing my soul. If it's a nice day out there, a perfect day for a bike ride, I'm still chained to the desk and on someone else's schedule. I'm not lazy, I put myself through college for a STEM degree and graduated with honors, and no debt. I know how to live on very little money.

It was easy to live off of UI and save some of that. I still haven't touched my savings. I may have to eventually. I have bits of money coming in here and there and that has been covering my few bills nicely.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Any unemployed person who stops looking for work must fall into one of the categories below.

1. Married woman who is supported by her husband

2. Someone in their 20's who still lives at home with their parents

3. Someone who has dreams of being a speed bump in the future
Here are a few more, whom I have known:

4. After years of looking, realize he or she has reached the magic age of 62, decides to retire.

5. Not old enough, but able to qualify for disability.

6. Moves in with grown children, perhaps providing babysitting service.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
People who say 'oh apply for retail' don't realize there's heavy competition for even those jobs.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 PM

38 posts, read 35,359 times
their is too many people competing for too few jobs, the problem is that there are no jobs, simple as that.

and as the poster above me said, even retail and low skill jobs get hundreds of applications for 1 job opening, it pretty grim.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
People who say 'oh apply for retail' don't realize there's heavy competition for even those jobs.
And the "hiring" signs that are there are because retailers are constantly terminating people, so it creates a perpetual hire-terminate cycle. Retail is a high turn over industry.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
It shouldn't be any competition for those jobs since they only offer part-time hours and crappy pay. Atleast I can say when I was a telemarketer right out of college, I was able to work 40 hours and make $9.00 an hour which is unheard of in the world of retail.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Americans are obsessed with money and work to the exclusion of almost everything else.
Which is just the way they want it. Seen the stock market lately

Things change though. Some people wake up one day and realize how little money is actually worth. The ones that don't are the ones I really feel sorry for.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I have a friend in the rust belt. She's given up. She doesn't get any government aid.

There are simply NO JOBS she can do. She can't do manual labor. For every lousy job she could do, like working the graveyard at a convenience store, there are 100's of applicants. She can't get interviewed, even.
One reason I haven't returned to the Rust Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment