Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM

144 posts, read 406,696 times

Advertisements

Hi. I work in an office in a private company. Long story short, my supervisor constantly throws me under the bus and makes me look bad in front of the company's owner. I was planning to quit anyway (for different reasons) but this morning they've put me back on probation to fire me if I screw up one more time.

Question: should I hand in my notice or purposefully screw up to get fired?

Note: I don't mind burning bridges as I own my own company now and will not be returning to work for someone else any time soon, hopefully.

Advice?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
If you can support yourself with your own company, I'd just resign now. At least then you won't have to explain being fired in future interviews.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Resign and keep your dignity.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM

195 posts, read 231,458 times
Wait to be fired. Then you can collect unemployment benefits. If you quit, no benefits. The employer will say the same thing about you in employment verifications. You worked certain dates at a certain job title for a certain salary.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Wait to be fired. Then you can collect unemployment benefits. If you quit, no benefits. The employer will say the same thing about you in employment verifications. You worked certain dates at a certain job title for a certain salary.
If they fire him with cause, they may fight his unemployment benefits claim and he may very well not qualify.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
He won't get UI if he's fired "with cause". OP, please resign.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
This is a often repeated piece of 'advice' on this forum, and it is one of THE most misguided pieces of information around, period.

Why would anyone want to wait around on a job and bring themselves to a point where they get fired?

For one thing, you're burning bridges with being a bad performer or doing something bad that makes the company want to fire you. Why would you want a future employer to call your former company and hear nothing but bad reviews (that are TRUE). It is simply not true that an employer can only verify your dates of employment. There is no law saying that an employer can't say anything negative about your performance, if it is true. Sure, some companies may not, but that's not all companies.

Second, it never looks good when you get fired, you have to explain yourself to future employers. In fact, this is something I was asked during a phone screen before. Being fired is a big hurdle to overcome.

Come on folks, disregard this. Find something else FIRST, or have a solid backup plan, THEN resign. NEVER put yourself in a position to be fired as a 'strategic' course just to have unemployment insurance (which in of itself is no guarantee).

Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Generally to successfully fight a UI claim they have to show some sort of willfully bad conduct on the part of the worker not his work wasn't up to our standards or he made a/too many mistakes.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is a often repeated piece of 'advice' on this forum, and it is one of THE most misguided pieces of information around, period.

Why would anyone want to wait around on a job and bring themselves to a point where they get fired?

For one thing, you're burning bridges with being a bad performer or doing something bad that makes the company want to fire you. Why would you want a future employer to call your former company and hear nothing but bad reviews (that are TRUE).
At this point unless they typically only give titles and dates of employment like most companies they won't give positive reviews regardless whether the OP quits or they fire him so why not let them fire him and get unemployment.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Because as previously stated, he is back on probation. (I'm confused by this... are you back on probation meaning you were on probation as a new hire and are now back on... or as in you got in trouble and were put on probation, got off, and got put back on?)

If the employer fires the OP now during probation the company may have grounds to fight UI because they could have documentation proving that the employee was not doing their job.

When I got let go from the company I worked for they said it was because I was not meeting a sales quota (failed to mention they were reducing their size and that it was really because my mgr didn't want to take a pay cut and we had lost too much business in the recession). My UI benefits were denied.

It's very unwise to sit around and wait to be fired with the intent of drawing UI. There is no guarantee. Also, if the OP owns their own business now, UI isn't necessary.

In my opinion, I'd resign. If you ever go back to work for someone in the future you can simply say you resigned to pursue your own business. The termination won't exist nor ever be brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment