Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:28 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
To answer several people who've asked:

I don't have a "burning passion." I actually like what I do now. I just hate what has happened to my industry and truth be told, I'm tired of working with [Snip.] and I'm sick of how sexist and ageist this profession is. It makes me sick.

I also HATE the company I work for. Hate it hate it hate it. Seems like every other company is the same: toxic office politics, [Snip.], and having to put up with sexism everywhere I go. It SUCKS.
Maybe what you would be happier doing is working for a smaller company. It may rekindle your passion.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-24-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 01:29 PM

780 posts, read 678,212 times
Quote:

I don't have a "burning passion." I actually like what I do now. I just hate what has happened to my industry and truth be told, I'm tired of working with [Snip.] and I'm sick of how sexist and ageist this profession is. It makes me sick.

I also HATE the company I work for. Hate it hate it hate it. Seems like every other company is the same: toxic office politics, [Snip.], and having to put up with sexism everywhere I go. It SUCKS.

If you like what you do, maybe you should just switch companies then.

I'm IT in the medical field and yes, there are sexiest men out there who refused to talk to me and get help from me because I'm a woman. At least that's what I've been told, because he also refused to get help even from my previous manager, who also happened to be a woman. But with over thousands of clients we support, it's just him.

Try working for a smaller company.

Of course, there's some stupid **** my company deals with, but who's perfect?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-24-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 02:33 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
IT jobs are jobs where you're a technology user that uses technology to support a business function. An example of an IT job would be a database developer for a financial organization where you implement a PostgreSQL database to handle financial transactions. Technology jobs are jobs where you create technology. An example of a tech job would be a developer a database technology to be used by technology users.
Nah. Both are IT/tech jobs.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

Jeez why don't you just go work somewhere else? I've worked with many DBA's (men and women) in the last 30-some years, and none of them have to put up with anything like you describe.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-24-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 03:20 PM

306 posts, read 431,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jeez why don't you just go work somewhere else? I've worked with many DBA's (men and women) in the last 30-some years, and none of them have to put up with anything like you describe.
Not trying to be oppositional, but can you be so sure?

I will say that these problems seem to be more prevalent in recent and current years.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So you say you're 40, hmmmmm....... sounds like a life crisis? It seems women are more sensitive to the big four ohh than men, men don't get the problem until the fifties(?). Is it burn out or something else? Maybe you just need a change, if competing with the "kids" is stressful, why not try to find a job with a smaller company where you're their data base manager or their IT guru? Something along those lines. Even if you change careers, you'll still be competing with young graduates. Just my two cents, good luck.

i agree, every person over the age of forty is burned out, if you have a job and it pays good, embrace the suck and keep moving along.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
You can't get an RN from night school. And it's not a career to start at 40 unless you get into administration or plan to retire early.

Plenty of people go into registered nursing in middle age and later. I don't know about the "night school" part, but there are many programs for generic students (non nurse students) with BA/S degrees in something entirely different who are seeking a career change.

The demand for registered nurses remains strong and it is not at all an unusual as a second career.

These programs are typically 1 to three years in length. Some grant a second BA and others an MSN.

You can only be a nurse administrator if you have had 2 years of medical surgical experience, and at least a BSN.

Second career RNs are in high demand due to their experience and maturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment